Crossing Cambodia into Vietnam with a 250cc Dirt bike

Discussion in 'Vietnam - General Discussion Forum' started by MrLucky1111, Oct 21, 2008.

  1. Greetings. I would like to spend 3 weeks in Cambodia and then cross the border with my bike into Vietnam for 4 weeks and then enter into Northern Laos and back to Thailand. I own the bike which was purchased in Thailand with book and papers in my name 250cc Yamaha Dirt bike. I have been reading and talking with people about this and I really have no clear answers on the best procedure. I have not contacted the Vietnamese embassy yet. I would greatly appreciate a plan of action as to not get turned away at the border. Thanks in advance to all replies.

  2. which border that you cross? i've just been to cambodia and try to cross for 4 border to VN but... I can not
  3. I have become a bit of an expert or trying this also. My latest findings. On my next trip to HCMC (without Bike) I may try this.

    You Asked


    Dear Editor,

    I am a foreigner working for a foreign-owned company in HCM City. I have a work permit and temporary residency card. I own a motorbike in Cambodia, registered in my name, which I would like to legally import into Viet Nam for my personal use. I would like to know:

    1. Is it possible to import this motorbike into Viet Nam?

    2. If so, what is the procedure and/or where can I find the procedures in English?

    3. If I can import this motorbike, what is the procedure to register it in my name in Viet Nam or where can I find this information in English?

    HCM City

    Dear Mr

    Pursuant to Part "D" of the Finance Ministry’s Circular 59/2007/TT-BTC guiding the implementation of import-export tariffs and management of tariffs on exports and imports, you are allowed to import your motorbike into Viet Nam.

    Your motorbike could be exempt from import tax if you are permitted to reside and work in Viet Nam by a State-owned agency. However, you have to prove that you owned the motorbike before you came to Viet Nam.

    You should go to the HCM City’s Customs Department to ask for more details about the import procedures. The address is 21 Ton Duc Thang Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, HCM City. Tel: 08-8291422.

    The Editor
  4. For the right dosh, I'm sure everything is possible at the border :wink:
  5. I am pretty sure you can't as Vietnam asks for an international vehicle transit paper which is so difficult, if not impossible to obtain.

    My friends tried at 4 border crossing from Vietnam into Cambodia and they all rejected.

Share This Page