Decent quality helmets?

Sep 4, 2007
I have a really good helmet, but its old and slightly damaged from falling off the bike,(the helmet, me not in it at the time).
I have to go to Bangkok and like to know if anywhere else except Paddock, (hear worrying reports about their old stock)
Siam superbike still looks good on website, but may not still be open??
I will not buy mail order, I must try for fit
Any recent experience or advice please.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Hi John

heard that RED BARON has nice helmet's, not seen by my self.
Ebay also has good selection but if you dont wanna buy from mail order then that is our of joice, but it's way way cheaper.
get helmet from there wiht in 10K when same helmet in TH cost 25K

http://www.redbaronbkk.com/

Nov 14, 2006
Indeed yes, Siamsuperbike is closed. Biggest selection of helmets is in Paddock, and after their latest mega-sale they might have some new stuff on the shelves now.
But as i have warned about before, dont dare go in there just to look around and not buy anything....the grandma there will be pissed off.

Tom

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for the replies
I thought Siam SB was gone, but their website is still up and running with product details, prices etc. Very misleading

I will try Fast Corner and maybe Mr T and Red Baron as well before treating Paddock as a last option. Will post results

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I wouldn't buy a helmet through eBay, the fit is most important, and no two helmets are the same.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
John, I've recently bought one AIROH helmet at Fastcorner in Chiang Mai, perfect helmet, please see also my post in the buy & sell section. Cheers Franz

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks CDRW for a very informative link.
Ended up with a headache trying to take it all in. Definately a good reference to the subject.
If one buys a helmet here with what looks like a Standard compliance sticker, can one be sure that the sticker is not just copied like the rest of the design?

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
[quote quote="johngoodingIf one buys a helmet here with what looks like a Standard compliance sticker, can one be sure that the sticker is not just copied like the rest of the design?
IMHO...Personally, I'd not put much faith in claimed safety certifications for any Thai helmet. e.g. Consider that any brand can _claim_ they meet DOT standards...as there is no verification system by DOT. Yet, I'd not question the certifications of any of the well known manufacturers of helmets.

With that said, I'll admit that I wear a Thai helmet when tooling around Pattaya on my little moto :shock: ... but always wear my 'good' helmet when on major thoroughfares or on my dirt bke :eek:

I'd neglected to also include the following info on various helmet weights in my earlier post: FWIW...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... eights.htm

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
johngooding wrote:
I have to go to Bangkok and like to know if anywhere else except Paddock, (hear worrying reports about their old stock)
Do helmets have a shelf life?

Iv'e never had any problems at Paddock. Walked in chose a helmet, the colour of which they didn't have in my size S. So they showed my two other colours in small. I vacilated and chose the red one. Paid the money got a free T shirt , a discount and a flash light.

Paddock is easier to get to on the MRT than RB. Mr. T is Ok in a taxi. Bought my bike there and get it serviced there.

Sep 4, 2007
Purchased an Arai RX7 in Fast corner. Fast Corner a quick motorcy taxi ride on same road as Chong Nonsi BTS. Shop very helpful, spoke English, no problem me trying several for a few minutes each. Even changed the internal lining for the style I wanted. Keeps spare linings and visors in stock.
Of course my head seemed a best fit for one of the most expensive helmets, small discount ended up at 21,000 Baht. Sounds a lot but, what is your head worth. I googled the helmet, found it is current top of the range Arai and sells in the UK for £499, so actually cheaper in Thailand.
So thanks for the help on this one.

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
I like this one!

Arai_RX7_TT_min1.jpg

Jun 21, 2006
Anyone tried 118bikes.com

They have a shop in Bangkok just off Lat Phro Road

Friend just been in there bought helmet, jacket, pants, and boots

just wondered how good their products are

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi, Friends,

I would recommand to visit often RED BARON in Bangkok, has they heve from time to time, very good prices on Japanese helmets and have promotions. Issue is that they have by limited numbers (maybe through their Japanese connection) I think in direct import from Japan and you have to take it when available.

They won't have all sizes i per model but prices are really good for the good quality they provide.

Cheers

Sep 4, 2007
And here's the one I bought. Apparently colours of Norri Haga in MotoGP.
I decided the head is high enough to be seen by other drivers and so should be as visible as possible. especially as my bike is Black.

AraiBack.jpg

AraiRX7Haga.jpg

E3L0

Sep 17, 2006
tomdegerth wrote: But as i have warned about before, dont dare go in there just to look around and not buy anything....the grandma there will be pissed off.
I went there to have a try-on fest then get what I wanted from ebay (1-piece leathers, not helmet) once I knew what size I was. It was a really hot day and I was sweating like a pig into all their new leathers.

Trouble was I found leathers that fitted perfectly despite me being half giraffe. I couldn't risk not finding them on ebay so I parted with 38k for them. I guess grandma won in the end.

johngooding that is a cool helmet.