Double jeopardy

Apr 10, 2006
Whilst driving back from Chiang Mai back in Nov I got stopped for speeding, they said I was caught on radar doing 142kmh which I know was crap as I was doing 160. After fining me a massive 200 baht the copper explained to my missus that if I wanted to continue speeding I could do so and if I get stopped again to just show them the ticket he issued me with and I'd be ok.

About a month later I was riding around Pattaya when a policeman stopped a Thai couple on a bike at some traffic lights with no crash helmets on and the rider produced what looked to me like a police ticket and was then allowed to proceed unmolested.

So is there some kind of double jeopardy law in Thailand that says you cannot be punished for the same crime in say the same day ?

Even if there is I certainly wouldn't put any trust in it especially towards the end of the month when the Police are low on funds and in need of a cash withdrawal from bank Farang.

Jun 21, 2006
Last week I got done outside Muang Loei, doing 109 kph..... the copper only charged me 100 baht, and didn't give me any ticket.

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
Yes there is. I was stopped at a police check poiint outside Phayao some months ago possibly for exceeding the speed limit by 10 kph or so. No way out but to pay the fine and was given the same info. If I got stopped again on the same day, just show them the ticket and I wouldn't have to pay again. So I contnued at the same illegal speeds without any further problems. Great system!

pexa

Jan 10, 2007
What a nice "permit", wish they´d do the same way everywhere:)!! Then again, maybe not...

I once avoided a police stop near Chanthaburi on #3, when I was doing maybe 140kph, and the sun was low and behind the police, so I saw that he actually waved at me, when I was nearly passed him. So I thought its not safe to hit the brakes right now, and theyll probably go after me if theyre serious, which they didnt seem to do.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by penetrator

So is there some kind of double jeopardy law in Thailand that says you cannot be punished for the same crime in say the same day ?

I was told that is the case when I was in Phuket... wear a helmet, or pay the 100Baht fine, but only once a day...

I would have thought the penalty for not wearing a helmet was 100baht a day, and probablr brain damage...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Jun 21, 2006
Daewoo, you must have had a pretty lady on the back when you got stopped.

The normal price on Phuket, for no helmet, is 500 baht

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by tropicaljohno

Daewoo, you must have had a pretty lady on the back when you got stopped.

The normal price on Phuket, for no helmet, is 500 baht

Nah mate, it was the (farang) wife, and she was up the duff as well :D ... I chose the helmet option, was told that the fine was a once a day deal, probably don't remember the value...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Apr 10, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Bush Pilot

quote:

Even if there is I certainly wouldn't put any trust in it especially towards the end of the month when the Police are low on funds and in need of a cash withdrawal from bank Farang.

Here in Phuket they seem to prey on Thai and Farang with equal opportunism!

In Pattaya and most other places in Thailand I've been to I've witnessed hundreds of school children riding to and from school sometimes 3 or 4 on a bike without even 1 crash helmet to share amongst them and the Police who often stand outside the school directing the traffic never do a thing to stop them.

When it comes to adults you could argue that if they're too stupid to wear a crash helmet then they deserve what they might get but with kids there should be zero tolerance. Their parents have obviously got enough money to buy them a bike so why not an extra 500 baht for a half decent helmet that might just save their life.

Jun 21, 2006
on a ride out to phayao with 6 thai riders and 2 farang we were all pulled over for no plates and speeding, the coppers only fined the thai riders that were with us 200baht each and left us farang alone, couldnt qutie work that one out. we just stood in the corner of the hut and played dumb i guess they couldnt be bothered to try and communicate with us after already getting 1,200baht from the others..

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
quote:

by penetrator

In Pattaya and most other places in Thailand I've been to I've witnessed hundreds of school children riding to and from school sometimes 3 or 4 on a bike without even 1 crash helmet to share amongst them and the Police who often stand outside the school directing the traffic never do a thing to stop them.

When it comes to adults you could argue that if they're too stupid to wear a crash helmet then they deserve what they might get but with kids there should be zero tolerance. Their parents have obviously got enough money to buy them a bike so why not an extra 500 baht for a half decent helmet that might just save their life.

Helmet for kids...agreed! I offered to buy a helmet for a friend's young child, knowing how vulnerable they can be. Her kid refused to wear it...and the mother just accepted it rather than insist her 3-year old daughter must wear it if she want to go along. Her husband was indifferent to my buying a helmet for his kid.

I also find it interesting that the Thai Driving laws stipulate that a moto cannot be driven with more than one passenger or one package which cannot weigh more than 50-kilos. We've all seen motos with as much as 5-6 kids/adults aboard and maybe a dog in the basket. Yet I've never heard of this law being enforced.