Driving with GPS

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Hi Guys & Gurls

just came to my mind, that how many of us driving with GPS?

If so, as there is some intresting points along the way and would be nice IF possible to state those on your report to other ones to input them to there GPS, just in case we driving close by it's easy then to drop by and enjoy them too...
Hotel, resort's, cafes, water falls, camping sites,
Ho Chi Ming House in Nakhon Phanom
N 17.22.444 E 104.45.673

Jun 21, 2006
Marco

I have GPS waypoints for every PTT-7/11 gas station from Chiang Rai, to the Malaysian border.

Bit boring I suppose, but wonder if Captain Slash wants a copy

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Hi John

Im my GPS i have ALL those pre installed (Garmin) but what i actually wante to archive is those i.e. good service point's, good hotel,s, special view point's by other driver's

You know Garmin has then map all over thailand but that will not tell one, how is service :p , so making one survey over the time, one by one, we could find plases, hotel who are suitablegood for biker's.

like what we been doing is as we stop to eat some where, if the food is good, we log those to garmin as good foor area, same goes to hotels.

But will see, if there is people who are driving with GPS it's bit of the work, but every one would benefit for it on the line...

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
tropicaljohno wrote: I once knew a woman who turned into a deer when the moon was full. She was a real weredoe.
^^^^^^

TJ, seriously, you have a problem mate, you need professional help... :roll: :roll: :roll:

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

When in Thailand, I use to drive sometime with the GPS help, but frankly the way sign are so good on road that I can avoid it.

Generally I use my PDA phone, formally a QTEK 9100 (O2 in Thailand) loaded with King Map coupled with a Bluetooth GPS receiver BT 338. It works perfectly all around Thailand. Now I aquired a HTC 3600 (O2 in Thailand) smartphone with all included (with the GPS inside), it avoids me to use the bluetooth receiver which is already in the phone and again it works perfectly.

Its quite convenient as for driving I put this phone in a pocket of my back pack connected to hearphones under the helmet, it allows you to receive calls (handfree) and to be guide by the nice voice of the GPS (all in one).

Generally GPS drain batteries but this one not too much and I install a plug to charge it on the bike. If you need more details do not hesitateto PM me.

Jun 21, 2006
Marco wrote:
Saw you have intercom in your phantm,, what you are using?
Hi Marco

bought the MIT 15 Intercom from Whitehorsepress.com

really impressed with the unit, comes with extra mic's for open or full face unit.

has rechargeable battery, and fitted accessory plug on lead, so can recharge from bike battery

found could hear fine, even with ope face helmets, mind you as we were on Phantom, didn't go above 120kph, but wind noise not a problem at that speed

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_ ... ts_id=5275

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
AZOULAY wrote: Hi Friends,

When in Thailand, I use to drive sometime with the GPS help, but frankly the way sign are so good on road that I can avoid it.

Generally I use my PDA phone, formally a QTEK 9100 (O2 in Thailand) loaded with King Map coupled with a Bluetooth GPS receiver BT 338. It works perfectly all around Thailand. Now I aquired a HTC 3600 (O2 in Thailand) smartphone with all included (with the GPS inside), it avoids me to use the bluetooth receiver which is already in the phone and again it works perfectly.

Its quite convenient as for driving I put this phone in a pocket of my back pack connected to hearphones under the helmet, it allows you to receive calls (handfree) and to be guide by the nice voice of the GPS (all in one).

Generally GPS drain batteries but this one not too much and I install a plug to charge it on the bike. If you need more details do not hesitateto PM me.
Not quite following the logic here. You say "When in Thailand, I use to drive sometime with the GPS help, but frankly the way sign are so good on road that I can avoid it", but yet you bought the *latest and greatest smartphone* WITH GPS and it is "quite convenient for driving". :shock:

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com

Not quite following the logic here. You say "When in Thailand, I use to drive sometime with the GPS help, but frankly the way sign are so good on road that I can avoid it", but yet you bought the "latest and greatest smartphone" WITH GPS and it is "quite convenient for driving". :shock:

Jun 21, 2006

Obviously you have never driven in Southern Thailand, as they start with all good intentions with road signs, then no more signs, you are left to try and work out yourself the right wayto go, and when say you are heading down to Malaysia, can be a little frustrating, so sometimes GPS the only way to go.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi John,

You are right up to now I didn't draw southern than Phangnga and Krabi, thus you could be right...

Anyway, I would add that the pure use of the GPS (I mean with maps inside) is a bit to easy for me and it' s not to much my "spirit" of driving and mindset. Sometimes I much prefer to use the compass function that too many people ignore with a good old paper map or motoring atlas (such as the MICHELIN to keep French habits).

I could imagine that if you look at maps 22 & 23 of this atlas, you'l miss the small tracks and smaller roads but to reach a town with the compass, it could be enough.

On an other hand tell, isn't it too dangerous to cruise in these areas down South, I would say that nowaday I would double check before biking in this corner. Excuse my ignorance on the South, that' s a long time I did not went there but tell me about it.

Anyway, doesn't David have some good maps we could use ?

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
AZOULAY wrote: Hi John,

You are right up to now I didn't draw southern than Phangnga and Krabi, thus you could be right...

Anyway, I would add that the pure use of the GPS (I mean with maps inside) is a bit to easy for me and it' s not to much my "spirit" of driving and mindset. Sometimes I much prefer to use the compass function that too many people ignore with a good old paper map or motoring atlas (such as the MICHELIN to keep French habits).

I could imagine that if you look at maps 22 & 23 of this atlas, you'l miss the small tracks and smaller roads but to reach a town with the compass, it could be enough.

Correct, good old paper maps are extreamly handy also, when stoping and planing, then input to GPS and off you go.

We are using Thailand Highway map what is updated yearly and really good even in the smaller roads

On an other hand tell, isn't it too dangerous to cruise in these areas down South, I would say that nowaday I would double check before biking in this corner. Excuse my ignorance on the South, that' s a long time I did not went there but tell me about it.

Anyway, doesn't David have some good maps we could use ?

Jun 21, 2006
Azoulay, last week I was down south, and took the ferry over to Langkawi, an island off the west coast of Malaysia.

If you look at a map of Southern Thailand, Yala and Pattani are way down south, when we go to Malaysi, we either cross at Sadao, or Saturn. Both these towns are considerably north of where all the trouble is.

On my GPS I have only my own waypoints inserted, in fact the world map is so bad, it has me driving in the ocean, way before I get to Phuket. Obvioulsy Bangkok, and Kuala Lumpur are in the right place but forget about the rest of the country.

I just enter waypoints of major junctions/intersections and take it from there.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Mates,

I see that on the forum I have to extremely care about wording as all is taken over like in court...

Dave don't look too much for any logic, first of all we are in Thailand, second, latest and greatest smartphones in France are quuite cheap when suscribing to a cell opreartor, third when I say convenient for driving it mean that you avoid the small Bluetooth receiver as this HTC phone does include it all.

Marco what's the matter ?

Once again, the GPS is a confort but the compass and the paper map is more fun, at least for me.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
AZOULAY wrote: Hi Mates,

I see that on the forum I have to extremely care about wording as all is taken over like in court...

Dave don't look too much for any logic, first of all we are in Thailand, second, latest and greatest smartphones in France are quuite cheap when suscribing to a cell opreartor, third when I say convenient for driving it mean that you avoid the small Bluetooth receiver as this HTC phone does include it all.

Marco what's the matter ?

Once again, the GPS is a confort but the compass and the paper map is more fun, at least for me.
Azoulay,, now i dont follow French logic,, what the matter with what?

:shock:

Sep 4, 2007
I understand that GPS units without current Thailand maps will only give general direction to head and distance. Current units bought in Thailand especially waterproof, shockproof ones, mounted on the handlebars, give excellent routing instructions, non verbal, on my Garmin GPS60C. My Thai maps were updated free of charge to a new release, November 2008. You get the choice of the Fastest, or the Shortest route, some of the shortest routes choose non surfaced roads, which are fine on smaller, or offroad machines, but not friendly for my FJR1300. The fastest route option chooses the surfaced roads, and has not let me down either in Central and Northern Thailandor in BKK. Also has proved useful walking around the streets of BKK. (eg to find UK embassy). It has many waypoints including petrol stations, hotels and ATM's.

Wether that spoils the fun of motorcycling or not is of course entirely up to what you feel like, and it is easy to switch off.

Jun 21, 2006
Marco wrote: [quote quote=tropicaljohno]Marco
If you are heading down to Khoa Lak, don't forget, on the way down, to check out the fishing boats, high and dry.

GPS waypoints are included

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t3060.html
John

nice pictures and report from Kao Lak

yes we plan to go there for they 1st bike weekend and then rolling down to Phuket.

Marco

Just found out today, one of the fishing boats has been moved...

The one leaning up against the guys house, has now been parked next to the orange one by the roadside

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
tropicaljohno wrote: [quote quote=Marco][quote quote=tropicaljohno]Marco
If you are heading down to Khoa Lak, don't forget, on the way down, to check out the fishing boats, high and dry.

GPS waypoints are included

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t3060.html
John

nice pictures and report from Kao Lak

yes we plan to go there for they 1st bike weekend and then rolling down to Phuket.

Marco

Just found out today, one of the fishing boats has been moved...

The one leaning up against the guys house, has now been parked next to the orange one by the roadside
John

So they are re-writing history and changing boats plases,,,lol

well, will see where they are when we are getting there,, :lol:

Jun 21, 2006
Marco wrote:
So they are re-writing history and changing boats plases,,,lol

well, will see where they are when we are getting there,, :lol:
Marco

Don't forget to take a picky, or two.....

Would go up myself and have a look, but currently only have a Honda Dream in the driveway, (oh, and 2 push bikes)

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

So at this point of the discussion which GPS (brand and model) would you recommand for Thailand ?

What cartography would you recommand ?

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai

So at this point of the discussion which GPS (brand and model) would you recommand for Thailand ?

Im going currently with Garmin Nuvi 310.
As mapping gamin has everything inside, hotel,hospitals,eating,drinking places,,,and best of all as it's bluetooth connection one can make a call directly for those plases as many of them has contact details in the map.....

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Marco wrote: [quote quote=AZOULAY]Hi Friends,

Im going currently with Garmin Nuvi 310.
As mapping gamin has everything inside, hotel,hospitals,eating,drinking places,,,and best of all as it's bluetooth connection one can make a call directly for those plases as many of them has contact details in the map.....
I have a Garmin Nuvi 320 in the car of the Minister for War here in Aus. Good unit, although I did have to immediately upgrade the firmware (free download) as the unit was released giving directions by route number, not road name. It is silly that this isn't something that is user selectable.

I am guessing that there aren't Thai maps available for download or anything from the pirate sites that I can use for the occasional trip to the LoS??? Is that right?

Cheers,
Daewoo

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends, and thanks Daewoo,

I went on the Web anb search for it and i found this interesting Thai website, i'll ask my wife to explain me a bit more about it.

http://www.thaimtb.com/cgi-bin/viewkatoo.pl?id=97177

&

http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?ARC ... OPIC_ID=11

It sounds and looks good, let me study a bit the issue and come back to you if you recommand this model, my only remark on it for the time being is that it looks massive as well and am not sure it's water and dust proof for biking, on an other hand the screen looks very readable, which is a good point at my age...

About finding maps and others, never say neveer...