Enduro Riding Around Chiang Mai

Oct 26, 2009
Hi All,

Just thought id post up some video and photos of a great few days of enduro riding around Chiang Mai. Some awesome tracks.
Just a quick question, has anyone been to a place at the top of some hill called "Buddha Footprint"? As there were two of us we managed to man handle the bikes down to the next section but I suspect this would be near impossible by yourself. Is there an alternative to bypass the short section safely that anyone is aware of? Either side or the trail we took looked scary :!:

Frank riding his amazing KTM Enduro 690R and me trying to keep up with the KLX, as you can see sometimes it was all too much for the wee 250.

Many thanks to Auke and whoever else is involved with the GPS maps, we couldnt have had these amazing rides without them :thumbup:

OK so im no expert :crazy:
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

A well deserved rest
web.jpg

A nice lady who helped us rehydrate ourselves after a difficult trail.
web.jpg

And finally time for some beers and reflect on some awesome riding.
web.jpg

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Nice videos ... I have never tried this, as my camera might be too heavy for the helmet :)! It is a great place and I might have seen some of the bits ... but tracks are innumerable in the region. Would be nice to see some itineraries. Thank you for the entertaining moment.

Oct 26, 2009
Below is a screen shot from most of the trails ridden over the period, hope this gives a general idea of the area explored using the maps. You can acquire the GPS maps on SD card from Bikers Corner.
Very entertaining not knowing how difficult the trails might be, and believe me some of them were tough.
Out of all the trails ridden so far I found the trails to the south of Doi Suthep the most challenging, looked as if they had not been used for a while.

265242=1086-Snapz%20Pro%20XScreenSnapz001.jpg

Oct 26, 2009
The camera used in the videos by the way is a Contour HD (720P). The newer model (1080P) has built in GPS and blutooth where you can stream recorded footage direct to an iPhone4, very slick.

camera.png

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Thank you for the tracks Johnny.

I have once done a trail down from Doi Suteph and called it the wrong loop. It was on a older bike but probably in a similar region : https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/32344-Doi-Suthep-s-North-Face-the-wrong-loop

Then I bought a KLX 125 and did a more "cosy" tour: https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/32389-Doi-Suthep-s-North-Face-%96-Maerim-to-Huay-Tung-Thao

The old Honda was alive till in run out of petrol ... but this was not her fault :)

DSC_2434.jpg

I am not a harsh driver and do not make videos ... but your camera looks handy and I love the region around us. I also agree that pictures and videos do not give the real 3D effect ... and when I went to the floor ... I did not take a picture :). Best regards Jurgen

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Johnny, Thanks for the report and the videos. I love the reaction to your off. Its great to be able to laugh, as good soft landing. Certainly a challenge, and could be very interesting in a few weeks when some rain comes along.
Cheers, John

Mar 11, 2008
johnnysneds;265243 wrote: The camera used in the videos by the way is a Contour HD (720P). The newer model (1080P) has built in GPS and blutooth where you can stream recorded footage direct to an iPhone4, very slick.

camera.png
Decent camera.. I was looking at the GoPro as it has such a following but like the bullet style of this form factor more.

Oct 26, 2009
johngooding;265249 wrote: Hi Johnny, Thanks for the report and the videos. I love the reaction to your off. Its great to be able to laugh, as good soft landing. Certainly a challenge, and could be very interesting in a few weeks when some rain comes along.
Cheers, John
Hey John, I cant imagine some of these trails with the addition of some water, would completely change the approach....cant wait.
I dont mind the odd fall, its good for the soul and lets you know it not all easy. I always wear full protection no matter the track conditions. The first day of this wee tour was the first time i hadn't my face in the dirt, a sure sign I must be improving slightly. As you rightly stated you have to laugh at these situations or theres no point doing it, ive went down loads of times in the past 2 years of dirt biking and every time I get a laugh out of it.

Oct 26, 2009
LivinLOS;265250 wrote: Decent camera.. I was looking at the GoPro as it has such a following but like the bullet style of this form factor more.

Hey LivinLOS,
The GoPro is a great camera for road/race track use. The picture quality is great (1080P) and its good value for money, but, not for off-road, it would last 5 minutes mounted on your lid. The contour HD has an excellent locking system that fits securely onto your goggle straps, ive never had a problem with it during crashes or going through bushes when I shouldn't be, in-fact it embarrassingly captures the lot!!!! Ive also used it at Bira with great results. Below is a youtube video using it. Unfortunately I didnt upload it in HD as I had no idea how to do that at the time, but you get the jist of things.

Oct 26, 2009
Jurgen;265246 wrote: Thank you for the tracks Johnny.

I have once done a trail down from Doi Suteph and called it the wrong loop. It was on a older bike but probably in a similar region : https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/32344-Doi-Suthep-s-North-Face-the-wrong-loop

Then I bought a KLX 125 and did a more "cosy" tour: https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/32389-Doi-Suthep-s-North-Face-%96-Maerim-to-Huay-Tung-Thao

The old Honda was alive till in run out of petrol ... but this was not her fault :)

DSC_2434.jpg

I am not a harsh driver and do not make videos ... but your camera looks handy and I love the region around us. I also agree that pictures and videos do not give the real 3D effect ... and when I went to the floor ... I did not take a picture :). Best regards Jurgen

Hey Jurgen, Just checked out your links. Very interesting trails indeed. Well noted and definitely on the cards for the future. I like your photography, I need to start getting the camera out more instead of relying on the video all the time. Many thanks for the input...

Oct 12, 2005
Sneds,

You bugger it looks like you guys finally got your rear ends up and on the trails. Fantastic job and jumping in the deep end and getting stuck in. Sorry i could not be there to show you around and have some laughs. looks like you and Frank were enjoying yourselves, good on ya. I love the chuckling when you hucked the KLX into the ditch, enjoying yourself to the fullest!! The top of the track where you put the bike in the ditch comes out eventually into Doi Pui village where if you look on the GPS there is a track heading off north and west we named the "turtle track" that is also loads of fun. In 2007-2008 Luke, Mark Rossi and I started giving Auke the tracks for the GPS map as at that time nobody was riding them w/a GPS. Another guy that used to be around named Dirty Dave also logged a lot of tracks on the GPS map. A great group effort that is an ongoing project to get the tracks logged and if you come across new trails please make sure Auke gets a copy to keep the map current.

Johhny do you use a PC or Mac for your video editing and what software are you using?

Oct 26, 2009
Hey Big n' tall!!!!!! What's that all about? Wee and short more like.
Awesome time with the tracks dude, great not knowing what to expect. Were just about ready for some more. Hopefully have the WR450 shortly so I can keep up with big Frank.
Some of the tracks were hard as nails Justin, we were prob the only mad folk to follow some of them after you lot of maddies logged them.
When ye back dude? Hope all good with you in the states. Send me an email pal.
Later dude
Johnny

Oct 26, 2009
Hey Big n' tall!!!!!! What's that all about? Wee and short more like.
Awesome time with the tracks dude, great not knowing what to expect. Were just about ready for some more. Hopefully have the WR450 shortly so I can keep up with big Frank.
Some of the tracks were hard as nails Justin, we were prob the only mad folk to follow some of them after you lot of maddies logged them.
Later dude
Johnny

Oct 12, 2005
johnnysneds;265360 wrote: Hey Big n' tall!!!!!! What's that all about? Wee and short more like.
Now my friend, I'm only repeating what I've been told numerous times by very upscale ladies. I mean it took a purple note to get it out of them but I was told numerous times, honest. I mean if you can't trust the gals on soi six who can you trust?

johnnysneds;265360 wrote:

Glad you enjoyed them. A hats off to everyone that has donated tracks to the map. It started with some major dirt roads that were logged by Unkovich and Silverhawk and progressed from there. Some of the more difficult tracks are really sensitive to direction, ie easier going a certain direction or scale obstacles, etc. From the video though mate you guys were doing awesome. Try and get a lot of the harder tracks done now because in a few months once the rains come they take on a whole new perspective. Also be careful out there. One day Luke and another guy were out exploring down a track and it turned into huge drop offs. Turned out it was a place water ran off but was not suited for walking and definitely not good for bikes. they ended up having to hike out in the dark and call some friends in the Thai Army Special Forces to come rescue/wrestle their bike back up the trail the next day.

johnnysneds;265360 wrote:

Later dude
Johnny
Getting some skiing in now and be back the end of April most likely.

Oct 26, 2009
BignTall;265352 wrote:

Johhny do you use a PC or Mac for your video editing and what software are you using?

A Mac and iMovie11 make video editing so easy even a tech-noob like myself can figure it out.