Experience With Garmin Zumo 595lm In South East Asia (thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia)

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by Louis Harrewijn, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Louis Harrewijn

Louis Harrewijn New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dear fellow riders,

I have been researching for on the ‘best in class’ motorbike GPS for use in South East Asia. I am living in Thailand and I am planning to do extensive motorbike trips to the neighboring countries like Malaysia , Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar, as well as Indonesia.

From my own research the Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS seems currently to be the ‘best’ available GPS because it allows 3rdparty / Open Street Maps to be uploaded. Although there are mixed opinions on the screen (sun glare) quality. It seems that TomTom has a more user friendly GPS, however it does not allow 3rdparty software to upload and it has no (or very little) coverage in SE Asia.

I noticed that the Garmin Zumo 595LM’s ‘world coverage’ includes predominantly Europe, America’s, Middle East (in full detail), but South East Asia is not covered. You can buy additional the maps for South East Asia, however the coverage is not 100%.

My questions are:
    1. Does anyone has experience in Se Asia with Garmin or TomTom?
    2. What’s your experience with the coverage of the South East Asia maps (how much coverage do they actually offer as not all parts of the countries are mapped)
    3. does anyone has experience in downloading and using 3rdparty maps / Open Street Maps on the Garmin (or even TomTom)
    4. are there any other know GPS devices that are better to use / coverage in South East Asia (for motorcycles obviously)

I look forward to your responses.

Many thanks & safe riding…

Louis

2. Oddvar

Oddvar Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Zumo is the top navigation model from Garmin.
    Free OSM maps for SE Asia.
    Read more about OSM here.

Happy riding.

3. moose65

moose65 Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i have a Garmin 595 lm from Australia with the powered mounts on both my bikes.
    i found the SE Asia map from Garmin is completely useless but i bought the local Thailand map from Garmin HQ in Bangkok and it is excellent.
    i have downloaded the open source Thailand map from a site and it works very well on both the laptop and the GPS itself.
    i have not tried it outside os LOS yet but i will be using it to go to Singapore shortly.
    last time i was in Malaysia , i used a phone app called WAZE, i found it excellent there, it is not as popular here.
    Some of the features of the 595 are disabled here if you use local maps, such as the twisty road option but i prefer it to using my phone.

Rob

4. Dodraugen

Dodraugen Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Same experiences as above, the Garmin SEAsia maps are totally useless. Even though it says it covers Laos and Cambodia - it didnt! A straight out scam!!! And it wasnt exactly cheap either...

OSM are free and even though a bit tricky to install for a computer illiterate like me they are everything considered the best.

Used on a Garmin Zumo 660 that nowadays is starting to fell apart but it had been used for many hundreds of thousands of kms.

A good smartphone with for example Mapsme are also good and great backup.

5. canthai

canthai Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My Zumo 600 series was great when I bought it, but for the price they want for a comparable model now - like the 595LM, I would look elseware. Mine could not find Singha Park last year, and it has been there for 12 years ! A smartfone with OSM is way less money, and serves dual purposes. All the smart features of the newest model Garmins are only available when used in America and Europe. Just checked Amazon.ca and they want $900 for one. 555

6. canthai

canthai Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My 660 was state of the art when New. With the advances in smart fones and OSM I would not buy another. In SE Asia the Garmin maps are total crap - could not find Singha Park, which has been there for 12 years and is a major tourist attraction. Good smartfone, OSM, and good to go. 595LM Amazon.ca wants $900. GPS4U in BKK wants 29,500 baht. 555