For PICO PICO

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Pico,

A few times you have mentioned your need for a sidecar to help you stabilise a bike when it is stopped.

I thought you and maybe some others might be interested in this Aussie invention.

http://www.dreamfit.com.au/pages/motorcycles.php

Basically, it is a centre stand with wheels as feet that automatically lowers when the bike stops for users without full use of their legs...

Don't know how expensive it is or anything, but thought you and others might find it interested...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Oct 17, 2006
Thank you very much indeed Daewoo for thinking of my problem.
Interesting solution. But actually I am happy that my handicap got me into sidecar driving :) Just returned from a 1000km trip in 2,5 days.
Meaning I cant stop driving. I arrived home (Phuket) from Ranong (300) km late afternon today and yet I was so itchy that I had to tour another 100km or so on my home turf.
What endear the sidecar so much is=

1. with 3 wheels one is much saver on these roads, I will not fall on gravel or sand. Breaking is safer too, always straight line.

2. my lady companion is very happy when on short or long trips she can stretch her legs , move her arms anyway she wants, feed me sweets etc. She feels sorry for the other pillions who are glued to the seat in one and the same sitting position. We have seen them getting cramps.
Plus, I am happy because if she would be close to my ear, I would hear the constant,

caaaaaareful, slooooowly, not so fast, why dont you................darling

3. last not least, there is the huge trunk, 200 litre which make travel extremly easy, luggage no problem.

I short I am more in love with my sidecar than anything else.
I wish I could ride China, Sumatra, but who knows.
My freedom is only about 18 mos old that is how long I got the bigger one with the 600cc Honda Silver Wing. This feeling of freedom I enjoyed on each and every single one of the about 17.000km.

Pico

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Pico-

I must say, you are a lucky person. To take what some may call bad luck or a bad turn of fortune and turn it into something that you can feel so passionately about and enjoy as much as you do is marvelous to see. Keep on riding and keep on enjoying...........

Jun 21, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by PICO-PICO

Thank you very much indeed Daewoo for thinking of my problem.
Interesting solution. But actually I am happy that my handicap got me into sidecar driving :) Just returned from a 1000km trip in 2,5 days.
Meaning I cant stop driving. I arrived home (Phuket) from Ranong (300) km late afternon today and yet I was so itchy that I had to tour another 100km or so on my home turf.

I short I am more in love with my sidecar than anything else.
I wish I could ride China, Sumatra, but who knows.
My freedom is only about 18 mos old that is how long I got the bigger one with the 600cc Honda Silver Wing. This feeling of freedom I enjoyed on each and every single one of the about 17.000km.

Pico

Pico, you want to be careful about describing your ride, you will have David Unk after you hassleing you for a Trip Report

When you post the trip report, don't forget to put it under Southern Thailand Section

Oct 17, 2006
Thanks , it is very important to be reminded and to remind oneself of ones luck. I guess you all know how easily misfortunes are forgotten, and daily life trotting goes on.

2. very condensed trip report will come.

3. I had another look at
http://www.dreamfit.com.au/pages/motorc ... search.php

If you look closely at the support wheels I think they are much to small.
Imagine you must stop on sand or gravel, which is possible anywhere, I bet the bike will tip over.
Also would nt trust it on a tilted surface. And stop and go traffic ??

Pico

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
I hadn't thought of the different surfaces in Thailand and Australia. Of course it is designed for Australian city roads which more insistant.

It is designed for Paraplegics with absolutely no movement from the waist down, so I guess it must be pretty stable. OK for Australia, but I guess less than ideal in Thailand where you can't choose as easily where you will need to stop.

I still think it is a good idea... Imagine loosing not only the fundtion of your legs, but also your ability to ride a bike at the same time...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Oct 17, 2006
pls dont get me wrong daewoo, I am always grateful to be shown new things, they might be just it.
And I have used very unorthodox means to get as far as I did,

In this case I also looked at the construction from a view point of a Paraplegic with absolutely no movement from the waist down. I know what it feels like because I was half- paralysed.
Where does most of our balancing come from ? Form waist to hip
and the upper body provides the fine tuning.
Plus imagine the leverage effect of the body weight, where does it put centre of gravity?
By how many degrees could the surface be un-leveled before the bike plus its rider tip over?
Not much I guess
In short I would not entrust my life to a bike stand some 40 cm wide, not on any surface.

I hope you dont mind that I take this issue serious, it is too close to my heart,

Pico