Friend crossing the border on my bike

Jul 4, 2008
Dear Forum,

A friend is thinking of coming out here, and then travelling around SE Asia on motor-bike.

He is thinking of buying my bike and then travelling around, but I remember I couldn't buy the bike in my name until I had been here 90 days and got a letter from Immigration. Does this still apply?

If he cannot buy the bike, can he cross the border and use the bike if I give him the Tabian rot and some kind of letter permitting him to ride my bike across the border? Would this letter have to be in Thai?

I now note he cannot travel to Vietnam.

Or a letter from immigration?

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Bill,

You posted exactly the same question on Thaivisa this past tuesday (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Motorbike ... 97594.html) and myself, DavidGTR and H20Dunc all gave useful replies and pointed you here.

Why repost the same question - don't you trust us if we write from TV but trust us writing from here? ;) (understandable I suppose as there are a lot of w*nkers on TV but not generally in the bike section!)

Cheers,

Pikey.

Jul 4, 2008
Dear Pikey,

You are right to criticise. I actually posted the question in TeakDoor and Thai Visa - and hadn't read the Thai Visa. Someone on TeakDoor also pointed me to Gt-rider, and that was what I was following up.

The Teak Door replies helped me a little and I hadn't checked the Thai Visa ones until your email pointed me to it.

And as a result I eat humble pie and apologise as the replies at Thai Visa answer all my questions.

In line with your comment I don't always get this useful level of response from Thai Visa.

Apologies for wasting your time.

All the Best

Bill Z

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
billzant wrote: Dear Pikey,

You are right to criticise. I actually posted the question in TeakDoor and Thai Visa - and hadn't read the Thai Visa. Someone on TeakDoor also pointed me to Gt-rider, and that was what I was following up.

The Teak Door replies helped me a little and I hadn't checked the Thai Visa ones until your email pointed me to it.

And as a result I eat humble pie and apologise as the replies at Thai Visa answer all my questions.

In line with your comment I don't always get this useful level of response from Thai Visa.

Apologies for wasting your time.

All the Best

Bill Z
No probs Bill - read my signature line - I was feeling a little belligerent and sarcastic yesterday! Welcome to the forum! :D

Tell your mate to join too and bang up a trip report when he is traveling.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Jul 4, 2008
Dear Pikey, Happy Feet et al,

Thanks for the useful comments.

So far I have:-

I give my friend the Green Book and a letter of authority in Thai & English, with an official stamp from the local post office. At the border (or downloaded from here) he gives them completed forms:-

Customs Temporary Export Permit
Immigration Notice of Conveyance
Immigration Crew List
Immigration Pax List

Happy Feet, he needs a letter from the British Embassy to prove he lives in the UK? British Embassy in Bkk will do it?

Pikey apart from motorbikes my friend is a bit of a Luddite especially with the internet so I suspect no travelogue but I will ask.

Thanks again.

All the Best

Bill Z

Jul 4, 2008
I now realise that the residence letter os for Thailand. As he is coming out from the UK on a trip he canot get such a letter from immigration legally.

Personally I do not want illegal as I want a safe visa.

All the Best

Bill Z