Get Wells.

Steve Merchant

Subscribed
Dec 11, 2009
As a person who leads a very isolated life here in Thailand I was touched by the number of get wells following my accident and post re yamaha side stands. Thanks to everyone for that, it says a lot about this site. The prognosis was for 5 months on crutches, still 3 to go and I wish I could say I was used to the iron work but its still a nuisance. Better luck to all out there.

Dec 27, 2007
I think I said it on the other thread, but I'll say it again here- wishing you a speedy and full recovery and hope you'll be back on two wheels again soon! :happy1:

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
Nice comment about the site Steve and totally agree with you. Good bunch of guys.

Stick in there and get well soon.

BTW my psychiatrist said I was slightly "touched" but assured me it was nothing to worry about. 55555 Hope that elicited a smile.

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
I like your comment about the site Steve, as said before a speedy recovery and hope u r on a bike soon again; don't let that accident put you off biking. I have at least 1-2 every year and I don't really care, biking is about fun & freedom.....and the yearly bruises are part of the game, just let your guard down one second and that's it.
Your comment that you are having a very isolated life here, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, just give us fellow bikers a PM or call and meet up for F&B and some yak-yak-yak at any place will change that too. This forum is also a social tool, friends are made and after a little while everyone finds his riding buddy (~ies) and comes out of any self imposed isolation 55555555. Sent you a PM, cheers, Franz

Jul 25, 2010
Franz;280069 wrote: I like your comment about the site Steve, as said before a speedy recovery and hope u r on a bike soon again; don't let that accident put you off biking. I have at least 1-2 every year and I don't really care, biking is about fun & freedom.....and the yearly bruises are part of the game, just let your guard down one second and that's it.
Your comment that you are having a very isolated life here, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, just give us fellow bikers a PM or call and meet up for F&B and some yak-yak-yak at any place will change that too. This forum is also a social tool, friends are made and after a little while everyone finds his riding buddy (~ies) and comes out of any self imposed isolation 55555555. Sent you a PM, cheers, Franz
Good call Franz, all the above.
and wishing you a speedy recovery Steve. We also have a Yamaha runaround which doesn't cut out if the side stand is down. We've had it for two years now and never gave it a thought but I was bumbling around on a mates Honda 'something' just last weekend and noticed that when the side stand goes down, the engine cuts out. Time for change?
Any time you are up for a yak-yak as Franz says, happy to join in.
Get well soon.

Jul 28, 2004
Hi there Steve: You have my utmost sympathy as I suffered an accident that led to the same injury as you and a similar prognosis. Commuted distal fracture of tib and fib with surgery done at Chiangmai Ram. Keep your spirits up mate - there will certainly be some days better than others, with some real lows, but it will come right in the end, believe me. Mine went from very little progress at four months to full weight-bearing at 6 months. I was lucky in that my Thai surgeon was a gem and provided full follow-up and review of all x-rays free of charge as I actually live in the Philippines and the local orthopedic surgeon that had my case was an absolute waste of time. That and the support of guys on this website were a great help and it just helps to further underline that our chosen sport is not without its risks! Best wishes for a quick recovery and hope that you will be back in the saddle before you know it!

Cheers - Barry

Jun 5, 2008
Hi there Steve and Barry. Firstly, I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you don't lose confidence to get back on the horse again.
I went through a pretty bad accident in 2001 (GSXR 1100R into the side of a car at110Kmh that pulled out onto a major highway without looking. stupid brain dead bitch driver fined for her stupidity) and was in a damn wheelchair for almost nine months!
I am lucky. Keep your chin up as its not easy enduring pain for many years after any major leg bone surgery.

Get well soon Steve