Going to VN next week, hire a bike and head north........advice please.

allanb

Oct 1, 2013
We live in Khon Kaen in Isaan, Thailand, next Wednesday morning we will catch a minivan to Mukdaharn-Savannakhet, then a bus across Laos to Da Nang in VN. We (my Thai wife and myself) will have a look around the town and find a decent small bike to hire, then head off north finding places to stay along the way.

We have a Wave 110 back home which is a little small but bulletproof and we ride two up a lot over the past 5 years, however, with the odd hill in VN, thought a 125 may be better, though our luggage will be minimal.

The tour will likely be 2-3 weeks, as and when we feel the urge to travel, so any advice would be most welcome, places to go, places to avoid, places to stay, whatever. Good bike hire places in Da Nang?

This is going to be fun............:lol:

PS picking up my VN visa tomorrow 2500baht, will get 2 Laos visas, one per entry.

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
You'll find everything you need to plan your trip on the Vietnam Forum; I'm sure many will be only too happy to give you further input once you've taken the first step & prepared a broad outline of the trip you intend to take.

I lived in Dan Nang for almost 2 years - great spot. In terms of bike rental I would still look at using Flamingo Travel in Hanoi - you should be able to organise with them to have a bike sent to you by train from Hanoi to Da Nang. The station is easy to find & the pick-up in Da Nang is very straight forward; I've been through the process several times. You haven't indicated where you will end your trip so discuss with Flamingo returning the bikes in Hanoi or HCMC as suits.

Vietnam is a fabulous. Look forward to your report in due course.

hs0zfe

Aug 31, 2009
Hi
it's too late now - but I would BUY a Wave over here. Saw one for 7 Million Dong today and like it. The shop wanted 60,000 per day based on 1 month's rental.

Please write a trip report and drive carefully as many locals are totally obnoxious in their way of driving!

Chris