Good tyre pressure gauge

Mar 11, 2008
Any where I can buy one in Chiang Mai ??

Looking for an accurate one.. Seen only old style sliders in hardware places / supermarkets.

Jul 25, 2010
I got a digital one from kawasaki CM which seems to give a consistent reading but I dont have the means to test its accuracy. I have found that all the meters in gas stations give different readings.

Jun 28, 2010
I got a dial type pressure gauge from Carrefour for 150 baht.

All the big department stores.Home Pro,Big C etc have a motoring section and should have similar.

41ESY8pjKyL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
What's wrong with the sliders? Sometimes the more simple, the better. I've had one for several years, it works perfectly. It's slim, fits into a short pocket like a pen, connects easily to the valve - it simply does the job.
Of course the gas station's gauges differ but I always double-check with mine.
Remember to check the (cold) tire pressure in the morning before take-off; if you are at a gas station, your tires are warm, if not hot.

Mar 11, 2008
Just to put some resolution and a thanks to the hints..

I went to nana screw and they had a largish cheap looking plastic thing, not sure why but just gave off a chinese plastic vibe (480b) so tried kawasaki.. First person said they didnt sell them, second (great english speaking manager) said the same thing.. Nope dont sell them, never have etc.. But some pushing and she went and checked and they did. Nice small only about the size of an AAA battery, just what I wanted for 500b.

Of course as I didnt buy the nana screw one I have no way of knowing the accuracy / reliability / repeatability of readings etc. But it sure appears to be the best of the 2 if anyones considering.

Jul 25, 2010
LivinLOS;263617 wrote: Nice small only about the size of an AAA battery, just what I wanted for 500b.
Sounds like thats the one I bought from Kawa CM LivinLOS. If you establish its accuracy or other wise, I would be most interested to hear. Tnx

May 6, 2009
I have used all types of gauges from the 2 dollar specials to the top quality gauges I use now.
I became frustrated with the huge differential in pressure readings given by so many gauges
So I have been using high quality American made, Intercomp Racing gauges for the past 4 years.
Both gauges I own were purchased using Inter comp Racings on line store and delivered to my door in Thailand.

The digital gauge was 300 US and the 60 psi liquid dampened gauge was 48 US.

I believe in top quality tyre pressure gauges as I check my pressures many times beginning from cold pressure before I ride the bike and after each session on the track. The pressure in the tyres changes considerably as the day gets hotter or colder and I am constantly adjusting the pressure after each session in an attempt to get the best grip from my tyres.
I even keep a record these temperatures so I can evaluate tyre grip and wear.
I know most people will not spend this kind of money but if you feel like me about quality equipment then those who are interested might try Intercomp racings web site.

I also purchased a set of electronic motor cycle weight scales from them.
Tyrepressuregauge.jpg

digitaltyrepresuregauge.jpg

Oct 12, 2005
+1 on recommending Intercomp Racing products. We used them for our corner weighting scales and tire guages when racing cars. Sadly I did not bring them over here so relying on vile chinese stuff at the moment.

Thanks for the Kawasaki shop finger pointing.

Maaka

Jan 5, 2011
I been riding and building bikes for 40yrs. I find the toe of my boot to be the best tire pressure gauge, that and alittle road test..

Sep 4, 2007
Maaka;264111 wrote: I been riding and building bikes for 40yrs. I find the toe of my boot to be the best tire pressure gauge, that and alittle road test..
Could you please specify the type of boot used, a picture would be helpful. Unfortunately this technique is not so good for those of us who ride in flip flops, especially if like me you have ingrowing toenails.:D:happy4:

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
I've come to rely on the air pressure dispensers at my local PTT gas stations.
I've 2 air pressure gauges that provide identical reading.
I've checked PTT's air dispensers against both of my gauges and the dispenser's reading were the same as the gauges.

OTOH, while I often use PTT's dispensers, I usually double check with one of my gauges ;-)

Dec 27, 2007
cdrw;264152 wrote: I've come to rely on the air pressure dispensers at my local PTT gas stations.
I've 2 air pressure gauges that provide identical reading.
I've checked PTT's air dispensers against both of my gauges and the dispenser's reading were the same as the gauges.

OTOH, while I often use PTT's dispensers, I usually double check with one of my gauges ;-)

Same here- I've found that the PTT's with the newer digital pumps are pretty darn accurate. Carry a small guage as well to double check. It's a cheap guage but seems quite accurate. Ride On! Tony

Maaka

Jan 5, 2011
Yo John, that was a size 10 steel toe capped boot with a camo soul...hahaha..no not the thing for thong wearers, but then again I am not one for riding in barefeet, learnt my lessons the hard way..I have found that if you hit the tyre with a large screwdriver it will give of a sound, if you get use to that sound you can kinda tune the tyre like a guitar, if you havent a workboot or a tyre gauge handy..heck you should no within the first 100m of riding a bike whether the tyres are to soft or to hard...I tend to go by the feel, as new tyres can fit a number of bikes, but the bikes themselves can vary quite differently in weight, then if you add a full tank and two people, the stated pressure on the side of the tyre, might not always be suitable..indeed, in my opinion, new tyres really should be thrown under the house for two years before putting them on, as rubber needs to cure..I can get a further 10,000 miles out of a set of cured tyres..anyway I am rambling..each to his own ay...

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Maaka;264196 wrote: ...indeed, in my opinion, new tyres really should be thrown under the house for two years before putting them on, as rubber needs to cure..I can get a further 10,000 miles out of a set of cured tyres..anyway I am rambling..each to his own ay...
I agree, tires are kind of like wine, they need time to mature, the older, the better. Some like "nouveaux", a few months young, some like fresh, sticky tires, but to me the best is an older vintage. After a few years of curing under the house the tire is just the way it should be, not too flexible, the cracks not too visible. That way they last much longer! Sometimes longer than the rest of the bike.
Give me some nice '79 Continentals, that was a good year, and all the young racer kids can get those Pirallies and how they're called, but what do they know...

jon

Nov 3, 2006
Yes, like fine wine and don't forget the nose. Nothing beats the smell of slightly warmed vintage rubber. Personally when curing mine I like to hang them on a hook beside the pheasants. That way the rubber slowly drains and when you ride the bottom of the tire is always nice and sticky.