GPS batt life - can plug in be used in rental bikes?

Jun 25, 2011
Hi john / david and wally.
Just to update you guys, i just got the map... luckily it reach the right address.. phew!!!
Thanks all.. now hoping that all will flow smoothly so that i can post some nice pics here!!!

Sep 4, 2007
Good news, now you can study the map and you may want to check up some of the pictures posted of the loop on this site, nice to anticipate the rides ahead. I hope you have a great time and will look forward to your pics.

Jan 14, 2010
That's great Gary. I've started the count-down myself.
It's exactly 2 months today until I escape this freezing Australian weather and thaw out in LOS for a month :cool:.

Jun 25, 2011
johngooding;269711 wrote: Good news, now you can study the map and you may want to check up some of the pictures posted of the loop on this site, nice to anticipate the rides ahead. I hope you have a great time and will look forward to your pics.

i told my mrs. the Samoeng sign (wooden one) and the many signboards at the Junction are a must to take pic to post here...

The Samoeng sign (wooden) one.. thts the 5.8km mark after the T junction rite?

Jun 25, 2011
Captain Wally;269712 wrote: That's great Gary. I've started the count-down myself.
It's exactly 2 months today until I escape this freezing Australian weather and thaw out in LOS for a month :cool:.
Its so cool to go for a holiday which last for a month of so... Spending time in a totally diff country, soaking up the lifestyle of the everyday ppl. take time as it comes... exploring and relaxing... :0

Jun 25, 2011
The Saturday Morning Bull and Water Buffalo market in Sampatong on the Hod - Chiang Mai road is worth the early wake-up call <--

Hey guys.. wanna check if any knows the above location. been trying to find on the net and GPS. Cnt find anything about the location. The only thing i know is its near Hang Dong area.. Its a place where cattles and other animals are being put up for sale. Only happens on every Sat morning.

Thanks in advance ...

Sep 4, 2007
Gary Foo;269715 wrote:

i told my mrs. the Samoeng sign (wooden one) and the many signboards at the Junction are a must to take pic to post here...

The Samoeng sign (wooden) one.. thts the 5.8km mark after the T junction rite?
The welcome to Samoeng and the Samoeng Forest signs are a few Km after the T junction on the way toward Mae Rim, LHS. It is not possible to miss this viewpoint with it's large shelter and sometimes coffee or snack sellers. No info on cow markets I am afraid, but if you travel on the 108 past Hang Dong and Sanpatong at around 6.30 am Sat you will undoubtedly find some animals being transported there which you could follow, or ask locals once you are in the area. I understand the desire to plan ahead to make best use of your time, but Thailand is full of surprises and often the best times are the unexpected, when one is just exploring and following the nose.

Jun 25, 2011
Hi John and other bros. Arrived today and rented
A small bike from mr mech. John, did u receive my SMS?
Tried finding the custom Made boots shop but
Cnt. Going to try again tomolo. :)

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Gary, good to hear you arrived safe. Sorry no SMS, did you use+66 for Thailand if using overseas phone,
There is a boot shop a few doors away from No 1 bar. On rhs travelling away from Loi Kroh road. A few guys will be at Gekko Corner near Pantip Plaza from 8 pm Today (Friday) if you fancy joining. Feel free to ring 0818 825122. Cheers John

Jun 25, 2011
Hey John, thanks for the offer. Saw this msg quite late. Had an early start today. Set off at 6am for hong dong Rd. Manage to find the place, thanks to the nice and friendly ppl. English or not. Simple hand movement led me to it!!! Saw the cows n buffaloes and any items which
Is up for sale!!! Rode to chiang mai zoo, the temple above it and the palace flower garden. Wanted to go to the doi waterfall n see the tribe village. Rain was getting heavier n roads were wet!!! Manage to find the custom boots shop!!

Jun 25, 2011
Hey John
Just reach home... haf a great time for myself and my wifey. The samoeng trip wont be possible if nt for the bros contribution. Will be posting pics soon!!!
THanks to david for the map too!!!
Cheers!!

Sep 4, 2007
Good to hear all went well and you home safe. I will look forward to your pics. A new perspective is always welcome.

Jun 21, 2013
Just saw this old thread and thought it worthwhile to add in an idea. There are lots of spare batteries available to charge smartphones, just grab one of those and the right cable should be able to plug straight into the GPS unit without any rewiring. That can be recharged at night and should easily keep the unit going all day so you don't need to stop and turn it on all the time.