Half Day Ride Outs From Bkk

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
I often go to Ban Cha-Om / Ched Khot waterfall in Nakhon Nayok province. It's about an 1 1/2 hrs ride from Bangkok. Actually, the whole mountain slope area northeast of the 33 in between the 3222 and east toward to access road to khao yai is worthwhile exploring with lots of small roads. The area around Khao sam lan national park is interesting as well.

Another option is a city ride following the Chao Phraya river up north until Bang Pa In palace/ Ayuthaya. You come across quite a few small interesting places both historical (especially around Bang Pa-In) and cultural. We've done lots of riding around the Chao Phraya and it's worthwhile following the small roads and sois and enjoy the views over the river.

Last edited:
Reactions: BFaster and DavidFL

BFaster

Apr 20, 2022
I often go to Ban Cha-Om / Ched Khot waterfall in Nakhon Nayok province. It's about an 1 1/2 hrs ride from Bangkok. Actually, the whole mountain slope area northeast of the 33 in between the 3222 and east toward to access road to khao yai is worthwhile exploring with lots of small roads. The area around Khao sam lan national park is interesting as well.

Another option is a city ride following the Chao Phraya river up north until Bang Pa In palace/ Ayuthaya. You come across quite a few small interesting places both historical (especially around Bang Pa-In) and cultural. We've done lots of riding around the Chao Phraya and it's worthwhile following the small roads and sois and enjoy the views over the river.
Hello Mr. Fritz :)
Are you still living in Bangkok ? I'm intend to follow your suggestion and ride my bike to Ched Khot waterfall, I've checked the way on google map, I imagine it's best to leave Bkk nice and early, what would say in this regard ?
Gen, Yamaha M07

Reactions: Fritzltouw

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Are you in Bangkok ? If so, it would be nice to meet up for a ride :) Gen with Yamaha MT 07
Hi,

You'll definitely enjoy the ride. There are some nice roads in the area and also the slopes east of that in the direction of Nakhon Nayok, around Wang Takrai. It's even possible to cut across small roads to the entrance of Khao Yai national park. When you get to Nam Tok Ched Khot, also go up to the Jed Khot Phong Khon Sao education center. It's just around the corner and there's a nice short twisty road up to the lake and a nice view point (turn left about 1 km before the center).

I'm currently working abroad but still calling Bangkok home. I used to work in Thailand but for academia the options are very limited. I will be in Thailand from the second week of July until the last week of August, so definitely up for a ride at some point. I have a RE Himalayan, so I'm definitely not the fastest on the block.

Have fun and definitely contact me for a ride in a couple of months from now.

Fritz

Reactions: BFaster

BFaster

Apr 20, 2022
Let's get out there !
Hi,

You'll definitely enjoy the ride. There are some nice roads in the area and also the slopes east of that in the direction of Nakhon Nayok, around Wang Takrai. It's even possible to cut across small roads to the entrance of Khao Yai national park. When you get to Nam Tok Ched Khot, also go up to the Jed Khot Phong Khon Sao education center. It's just around the corner and there's a nice short twisty road up to the lake and a nice view point (turn left about 1 km before the center).

I'm currently working abroad but still calling Bangkok home. I used to work in Thailand but for academia the options are very limited. I will be in Thailand from the second week of July until the last week of August, so definitely up for a ride at some point. I have a RE Himalayan, so I'm definitely not the fastest on the block.

Have fun and definitely contact me for a ride in a couple of months from now.

Fritz
Much appreciated your reply Fritz, thank you. I saw on Google map what you've mentioned above, I'm definitely going to ride up there ( On my own as usual ) From Ding Daeng, Bkk. It's best to leave nice and early, right ? Needless to say, I must be extremely careful considering how the Thais ride/drive no discipline whatsoever but also very impatient and reckless on the wheels.
Sometimes I get prick ups and the like ( No to mention the big trucks over taking each other ! ) Who want to race me, I reckon these people are suicidal, apart from being totally irresponsible, proper kamikaze, I can never really relax and enjoy the ride whilst riding on Thai roads, you've got to be alert and keep a 360 vision at all times, since they pop out in front of you, cutting across the highway, those U turns so dangerous ! I'm sure you're already aware of these dangers. here
Have a good weekend, hope to meet in person in the near future :)

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
I'm sure you guys have discovered the "motorbike" option on Google maps. This sometimes takes a different route than the "car" option.

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
Let's get out there !

Much appreciated your reply Fritz, thank you. I saw on Google map what you've mentioned above, I'm definitely going to ride up there ( On my own as usual ) From Ding Daeng, Bkk. It's best to leave nice and early, right ? Needless to say, I must be extremely careful considering how the Thais ride/drive no discipline whatsoever but also very impatient and reckless on the wheels.
Sometimes I get prick ups and the like ( No to mention the big trucks over taking each other ! ) Who want to race me, I reckon these people are suicidal, apart from being totally irresponsible, proper kamikaze, I can never really relax and enjoy the ride whilst riding on Thai roads, you've got to be alert and keep a 360 vision at all times, since they pop out in front of you, cutting across the highway, those U turns so dangerous ! I'm sure you're already aware of these dangers. here
Have a good weekend, hope to meet in person in the near future :)

Sure, drop me a message by July/Aug if you're up for a ride. I tend to avoid the main highways and busy roads for exactly those reasons you mentioned. But all in all, I think riding in Thailand, with proper attention, focus and anticipation should be doable and it gets you to really nice places.

Enjoy your ride and if you're looking for a good restaurant for lunch or dinner, I recommend Tem10 (ร้านอาหารเต็ม10) which is on the 3222 (Banna - Kaeng Khoi) just a few km from the intersection at Ban Na on the east side of the road. Their spicy salmon salad is great.

Best,
Fritz

Fritzltouw

Ol'Timer
Jun 1, 2018
Bangkok
I'm sure you guys have discovered the "motorbike" option on Google maps. This sometimes takes a different route than the "car" option.
Yeah it's a pretty nice feature when it works. I've used it a few times and it's taken me across pretty interesting roads but at times, it just messes up since the "I've found an alternative, faster route and I'm going to mess your previous route up because you're riding on a twisty road and you're wearing gloves and you can't decline my suggestion quick enough'" function of google maps decides to change your plans. Anyhow, it's gotten me to some interesting places so all in all, I can't complain.

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
Have you tried Kurviger.de/en

Screenshot 2022-05-01_18-23-09-848.png

Play around with the settings.
Screenshot 2022-05-01_18-27-45-057.png

Reactions: Fritzltouw