head lights on

Jul 6, 2004
Just some advise for new riders going into Laos, Cambodia and Indonesia. If your bike is registered in a country like Australia the head lights will be hard wired on as it is compulsary.
However in the above mentioned countries it is an offence to ride during daylight hours with your head lights on. Only police ,diplomats etc are allowed. So it may be usefull to get a switch put on your head light.
It gets bloody annoying when every second person you see along the road, stretches out their arm and makes a funny bird like impression with their fingers!

Cheers

Link removed

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Here is a message board string that addressed this issue. Adding a switch may cause problems with some bikes as the electrical system is designed to work with the voltage draw of the headlight on. Turning it off may cause the system to overcharge.

http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... hichpage=2

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

Jul 6, 2004
Thanx Dave,
maybe we might have to think of a black plastic cover or something. When I was travelling through Indo it got on my nerves (people waiving etc)I pulled the plug out the head light.

Cheers
Tom

Link removed

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Tom-

I also thought the cover idea was the easiest. All you would have to do is modify an aluminium pie pan or something of plastic as you said.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Don't know about here but in the UK, you can buy small elasticated covers for car rally spotlights - they'd do the job. Alternatively, how about a kids swimming cap? Thought about suggesting rubber johnnies but unless you get super-thick kinky black ones, I reckon they'd show the light too much ;-) (but they would give all the GT-Riders an excuse to take the pi55 if you turned up in CNX with one!)

Cheers,

Pikey.

"No matter how hard you try, you CAN'T polish a turd!"

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Wot's wrong with good old gaffer tape?
Used it recently on trip to Cambodia when in PP -
outside I was never hassled.
But as I was riding a GS with a grill over the light; it might not be so clever applying directly to light 'glass' with a resultant heat buildup.
R