Hello from a newbie to the site

Feb 13, 2009
Hi guys, this is just a post to introduce myself. I've been living in Phuket for five years now and have been riding a CBR 400 for three of them. Having ridden nearly all of the island, I'd love to get out there and see more of the country by bike, but I just don't trust the old girl (17 years old) not to break down :(

That said, I was looking to head into Bangkok to buy a new(ish) 600 and plan my assault north, but my schedule was messed up visitors and then by that little incident in the capital. Oh well, I've waited this long and I'm sure I can wait a little more.

Look forward to chatting and maybe meeting up with some of you in the not too distant future.

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Hi there Frogger

Great to hear you are now finding the roads off of the Island and you are also planning to venture North beyond Bkk too. I know just what you mean about delays because of visitors etc, it is very frustrating.

Good luck with your hunt for a new bike and look forward to seeing the reports of your trips past & future.

Ally

Feb 13, 2009
Ally wrote: Hi there Frogger

Great to hear you are now finding the roads off of the Island and you are also planning to venture North beyond Bkk too. I know just what you mean about delays because of visitors etc, it is very frustrating.

Good luck with your hunt for a new bike and look forward to seeing the reports of your trips past & future.

Ally
Hi Ally and thanks for the quick reply. Btw, I think I made a bit of a newbie boob earlier by reposting the thread and then couldn't work out how to delete one of them. Oh well.

Anyway, back to biking round Thailand; I haven't been any further than Phang nga yet, but mainly for the reasons given earlier. Good example, I was running from Chalong to Rawai yesterday (no more than 7 kilometres max). Flicked the passing light switch to ensure those looking to turn right across my path could see me, when the main fuse blew. I always keep my small tool kit on the bike along with a range of fuses, so It didn't take long to get her up and running again, but I'll be damned if I can work out why it blew. I've tested the switch several times since and all seems fine, which to me is almost more worrying. At least if it did blow again I've have a route to check through. The other odd thing was that the fuse didn't look blown as such. It was when I tried to pull the thing out of the holder the plastic sheathing came away leaving the spade contacts in place. After pulling them out and replacing the fuse all was working again. Any ideas?

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Frogger wrote: Any ideas?
Dry joints???

The Main Fuse wasn't soldered to the spade terminals when it was created, and eventually stopped making proper contact???

I am sure someone with more mechanical experience will come along soon...

It is good to get another rider from Phuket on here... since TropicalJohn went to the long tour in the sky things have been pretty quiet down that way...

While most will say the best riding is up North in the mountains, I have had some fun around Phuket and other areas South of Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit...

I would suggest that you fly up to Chiang Mai and just grab a hire bike for a few days to test the waters... no need to buy a new bike just to enjoy yourself...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Feb 13, 2009
daewoo wrote:
I would suggest that you fly up to Chiang Mai and just grab a hire bike for a few days to test the waters... no need to buy a new bike just to enjoy yourself...
True, but I'm actually someone who has gone through their entire bike riding experience here in Thailand. Ten/eleven years ago now, I first jumped on a 50cc rental moped and rode around Koh Samui. It was scary (I nearly got run off the road by a few large trucks) but it was also great fun. After that, each and every holiday trip back to Thailand saw me itching to get back on a bike.

I'm not just buying it coz I feel I have to.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
cool man...

I only got into bikes after riding scooters badly in Thailand as well...

Just meant fly up and save the two days ride from south to north... as well as having a reliable bike once you got there...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
daewoo wrote: [quote quote=Frogger]Any ideas?
and other areas South of Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit...

this town south of Bkk? "Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit"

Where is that??

Sorry but had to ask :wink:

Feb 13, 2009
daewoo wrote: cool man...

I only got into bikes after riding scooters badly in Thailand as well...

Just meant fly up and save the two days ride from south to north... as well as having a reliable bike once you got there...

Cheers,
Daewoo
Ah, I see. Well, I'm still going to need a new bike a some point, and I doubt there's a better way to get to grips with a new bike than a road trip:D.

Btw, by up north, I guess I meant that most places are "up north" from Phuket. Looks like I'll be headed to Bangkok in May, so i'll see what's around in good condition and for how much. Anyone around Bangkok seen how much 600 CBR's (around 4 years old) are going for at the moment?

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Frogger wrote:
Anyone around Bangkok seen how much 600 CBR's (around 4 years old) are going for at the moment?
Unless you have your heart set on a CBR the bike of choice at the moment seems to be Kawasaki ER650N or F.

I think around 255,000 brand new.

I am still saving for the Versys as I did not like the hokey cheap rear swing arm on the ER but at the motorshow I saw the ER now has a much nicer swingarm. :evil:

Anyway you could probably get a ER650N in Phuket easily. Not outright as fast as a CBR but quick enough for everyday stuff and quicker than your 400 and new with waranty, book, everything. Worth a look. :?:

My 2c.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Well welcome, you've found the right place your ready to you need for an enjoyable experience. Great bunch of guys on here never fail to help with answering questions. I know I ask a lot :roll:

BJ

Aug 27, 2008
Mike do you have enough money to test drive the ER6N
Please do and then change the suspension after you pay the small amount of 227000 baht as I did and then you will be very happy.
Good luck to you they are very good bikes.
B J
As i heard I pay less attention to what ppl say as what they do