Helmet lining repair

davevb

Jan 6, 2008
Does anyone know if it is possible to have the lining of a helmet repaired in CM? It is an old helmet that has been in storage for 10 years but a good Shoei. I'd like to keep using it and am sentimentally attached to it. Not to mention the 20k replacement cost.

Basically, all the foam backing in the lining has fallen out (all over my head when I wear it!) and needs to be replaced and stuck back together. The lining itself is still ok, just the foam backing.

Looking for a shop in CM I can take it to.

Thanks

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
I am not an expert in helmets but I have always been told and I tell my son who rides motorbikes that a helmet needs to be replaced on a regular basis - say every 5 years or so or earlier if the helmet has gone through a crash.

Anyway, it is up to you if you want to repair it. Maybe have a look at this forum as this subject - repair of lining - has been discussed before.

The following is from: http://www.mxdirtrider.com/h-resources/ ... helmet.htm

Replacement - When Should You Replace Your Helmet?

Applies equally to HJC, Shoei, KBC, Nolan, Cirus, Cyber, Icon, Fox Racing, Troy Lee Designs, Thor MX and all brand of motorcycle helmets.

A safety motorcycle helmet's useful service life, usually three to five years, is dependent upon the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended if one or more of the following points applies to the helmet.

1. The helmet was subject to an impact. Your were involved in any form of an accident with the helmet. If so, the helmet's integrity has been compromised and will no longer provide the same level of protection it was designed to give. It is recommended that if you want to maintain maximum safety, to replace your helmet immediately. Money is not at issue here, we're talkign about your life, the life of your children and family.

2. The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use, or they display signs of deterioration. The retention system is there to hold and maintain your helmet to your head. When this is compromised, the protection no longer exists. Regardless of how good the shell is, if the retention system is not there, you may as well not even be wearing your motorcycle helmet.

3. The synthetic foam padding displays signs of heavy use and the helmet feels too loose. You can test the effectiveness of the padding by fastening the retention strap and gently shaking your head. If the helmet moves, the padding is too loose. The padding is what sits between the hard outer shell and your soft head. Unless there is 100% integrity in this foam, you will not be receiving maximum protection.

4. There are cracks or compression in the EPS liner and/or white spidering can be seen on surfaces of the EPS liner. You see this, time to get a new helmet.

davevb

Jan 6, 2008
Good points, thanks.

I should just go buy a new one even though it is still in perfect condition, it is not that comfortable any more and they are a lot better now then mid '90's.

I did see one brand offering removable and washable linings, makes sense here in Thailand's heat.

Jun 1, 2008
Davidfl wrote: What's wrong with Shark

http://www.sylvangsupply.com/
That site wins the annual award for the most annoying sound on a website :crazy:

Does any local know if the business is easy to get to from Sukvumvit area? I am not too good on Bangkok beyond the MRT or BTS

Sylvang Supply Co., Ltd.
289/428 Bangkok Garden Condominium
Narathiwat Soi 24, Chongnonsee, Yannawa BANGKOK 10120

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
With the ridiculous lack of building and road naming conventions, I am astounded that businesses so rarely show a map on their websites.

I know that Thai's have just as much trouble finding things as we do, but at least they have the advantage that the spelling of the addresses don't change as much as it does when they convert it to English...

If the address is Narathiwat Ratchanakharin Soi 22, Chong Nonsi, Yannawa, Bangkok 10120, Thailand, then it is a couple of kilometers from Chong Nonsi BTS Station (which doesn't show up on Google Maps Search, even though every other BTS Station does :roll: ). Still I would recommend emailing them from the address on their website and asking them to send you their address in Thai so you can show a cab driver. Ask them which BTS or MRT station is best (not closest) for walking and for coming by cab, as if it is on the other side of a tollway or something you can end up in a maze of one way streets in a cab. As you can see in the attached google maps directions...

Cheers,
Daewoo