Hi David-Laos map ripoff?

Nov 18, 2008
I haven't been to the forum for some time so this topic may have already been well hashed over but I'm in the Mekong Cafe in Jinghong, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan, China and the owner here, Greg, showed me his Laos map, all laminated and with his business name on it except that it's YOUR MAP without the advertising border around it. I don't know if you've made some deal with him or if it's just a blatant rip-off but I just wanted to let you know if you hadn't already been informed. Maybe it's an opportunity to wholesale it in China if you hadn't already made a connection here.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Thanks for the tip-off. It's all news to me & certainly no deal has been cut with anyone.
If you can, please send me a copy (PM sent), or scan / photograph the map so I can at least see it.

Nov 18, 2008
It's definitely your map complete with all your personal notations about road, bridge condions, etc. PM reply sent.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
This could well be the same map I found a few years ago in Vientiane at the National Geographic Department.

That map was clearly a copy as it had also the same markings of the GT Rider map like "Very Steep", etc. but some of the village names had been changed.

That map was printed in China (presumably Yunnan) so would not be surprised that it is now re-printed in laminated form (at that time it was a paper map) with local advertisements (the paper map had no advertisements if I recall it correctly - gave my copy to David at that time so can't check it now).