Hotel recommendations in Chumphon

Jun 21, 2006
I took the liberty of moving this post from general section
T.J.

Going to Phuket and a) not sure if I can make it in one; b) want to enjoy the Ranong - Phuket bit so plan to overnight in Chumpon.

Anyone stayed at a reasonable hotel in Chumpon?

There is o big and resonable hotel approx 750Baht when you turn left to Chumpon from Sukumvit and then you will see a highrising building at the left maybe 8 km from the crossing. I rememeber I paid 650 Baht for a clean aircon room with buffet breakfast (you know ham and saussages swimming in water etc, but the thaifood is ok)They use to have some fancy sportscars in front of the hotel. The hotel does also have massage etc in the bottom floors if you are interested. If you prefer cheaper ones there are plenty of them near the market but chinese style and off course price

If you continue 100 km to Lang Suan there is a new luxus hotel at the busstation just off Sukumvit. Superb rooms at 600-900 Baht. Just north of Lang Suan there is a nice road to the western part of Thailand but you will hit ther mainroad 50 km south of Ranong.

Sukhumvit ?

Surely you mean highway 4. The Sukhumvit or highway 3 ends at Bangkok.
Go to Top of Page

Mike have you considered Ranong to overnite.....

If you check out Tommo's article, there are hot springs there where you can indulge yourself

Have tried them myself... very relaxing

Mike if you go to Phuket section and look under trip reports you will see Thommos article there
Cheers
T.J.

mike,

a few years ago now, but from my Cycling journal

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... 20107&v=4C

"Jansom Chumpon Hotel 0 7750 2504 630THB ($Au21) for a double room including breakfast"

Wherever you stay, get along to Papa2000 Disco... "possibly the best disco in the world."

Chumpon is actually a very scenic province, I really enjoyed it...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Apr 10, 2006
I'm thinking of driving the other halfs Honda Jazz from Pattaya down to Samui in June and looking at the map Chumphon looks like a good place to stop the night on the way down before getting the ferry at Don Sak in the morning. So Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Jun 21, 2006
Hey another Honda Jazz owner... do you think David might let us start a section for the Jazz Brigade....

Just pulled into CNX this evening with bike on trailer...... 14 months have done 45,000 kms in car, plus trips to Malaysia and Bangkok on 1150GS

Now.. where were we

You know you can pre book ferry and do the trip quite easily in 1 day, the ferries run till 7pm, I can give you details later on booking ferries if you want.

Other option apart from Chumphon could be Prachuap Keri Kan, have stayed there a nice fishing village, guesthouse just by railway crossing, eand its even called "Bed abd Breakfast"

Apr 10, 2006
Great little cars the Honda Jazz, I drove up to Chiang Mai by Jazz myself from Pattaya last Nov.

The GF can finish work at 3pm the day before her maximum 5 days off per month starts so I was thinking of leaving then and getting down to the Chumphon area around 10pm I guess and leaving early the next morning to catch the ferry.

I'd appreciate the ferry booking details Johno.

Jun 21, 2006
If not getting away till 3pm, even Hua Hin or Cha Am for the nite

to book ferry, fone Seatrans 077 251 152
Give them your name and rego number, and mobile number
they will give you a ref. no.
you need a bank account with Ayudhya Bank, (or someone else who has Ayudhya atm card)
Go to Atm of Ayudhya and follow prompts to pay bill with Seatrans Ferry
you will get receipt
when you get to Seatrans Ferry at Don Sak, go to counter, show them your receipt, the girl will give you ferry tickets, then park in special reserved line.

You must be there 30 minutes before sailing
ferries are I think every hour till 7pm, but when you ring the girl will tell you
you can book I think up to a week in advance
Sometimes if you get there really early they put you on an earlier boat, but not always guaranteed

Now for the motorcycle owners/riders (as this is a motorbike site), you just turn up and they can put you on the next ferry to leave

Apr 10, 2006
What would your estimate be of driving time from either Bangkok or Pattaya to Chumphon Johno ?

I've done Pattaya to Hua Hin a couple of times in 3 1/2 - 4 hours so looking at the map I'd guess on about 6 - 7 hours from Pattaya to Chumphon or about 4 - 5 hours from Bangkok.

And how about driving time from Chumphon to Don Sak ?

Looking at the map I'd say between 2 - 4 hours but being as I've never driven that far south I've not a clue as to road conditions and traffic down there.

Jun 21, 2006
Penetrator

There is a new road going to Don Sak now and it misses most of Surat Thani. The turn off is just opposite Surat Thani Airport, and is signposted Samui.

4 hours should be at Don Sak wit time to spare, it used to take me 4 hours from Don Sak to Ranong