Illegal

Sep 20, 2009
1 question, one of my friend from Slowenia start to offer motorbike trips in Thailand and Cambordia. He has no lizens for the countrys, want to rent the bikes and riding around with customers. He told me no problem because he charge the money in Slowenia not in Thailand pay no tax in Thailand and Slowenia. I warn him but he know everything better ..... :roll: stupid guy whats a matter with him here with immigration and police ????

Oct 17, 2006
If he has no license and one of his clients has an accident ...he will go to jail in Thailand or Laos etc ,which will be very unpleasant until he pays big money out ...its happened to EU tour guides and organisers before.

Jun 1, 2008
monsterman wrote: If he has no license and one of his clients has an accident ...he will go to jail in Thailand or Laos etc ,which will be very unpleasant until he pays big money out ...its happened to EU tour guides and organisers before.
Out of interest, are you talking about motor cycle license or some sort of license to operate as a tourist guide

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
Good question as I am about to lead another ride into the GT area. Not for profit though, just a bunch of friends.

Sep 20, 2009
If he has no license and one of his clients has an accident ...he will go to jail in Thailand or Laos etc No I mean when the tourist police or immmigration catch him how much to pay ? He dont leasen to me I think he has to learn.... :roll:

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Have been asking around a bit (in the past though) and as long as the leader can claim that he is guiding a group of people from a club or an organization or a group of friends, etc. he would not be considered a tour guide or a tour operator but just as a guy who organizes things for others. This assumes that there is no profit involved just covering the costs.

In this case I am not sure what would happen if something went wrong. Assuming that your friend would take care that everyone has sufficient insurance and again assuming that everyone would insist that they are not customers but just members of a group, he probably would not have serious problems.

This is a lot of assumptions and "ifs" so in practice I would be very careful with such a set-up. The police in Thailand are quite good also at making assumptions but unfortunately not the ones your friend would be happy with and he could be in for a lot of problems financially as well as legal (jail) in case someone causes an accident.

Oct 17, 2006
Auke has it right, he may claim just to be leading a group of friend but if money has changed hands and they make assumptions or someone else says the wrong thing ....then with no business license,tour guide license,insurance etc etc he will be deep in it.....Its actually happened to people before but its his decision .