Import bike to Cambodia

Woody

Feb 22, 2006
Can someone let me know how long I can temporarily import my Thai registered bike into Cambodia for? I am hoping to ride there for about 6 weeks and don't really want to have to hit the border every 15 days.
Also can anybody suggest a good map for Cambodia, ideally with GPS points?

Many thanks for any help you can give.
Woody.[:D]

buebo

May 24, 2006
As far as I know, nobody will care as long as you get a visa and don't overstay it (which means you have either to extend a tourist visa [1 months + 1 months extension] or get a business visa [3 months, better choice]).

I haven't been in Cambodia really long (just a little less than 3 months) but I've never heard of anybody having problems at the border on the cambodian side.

Oct 1, 2005
Just back in Thauiland from Cambodia. On the thai side you will need your green book and make sure your tax and sinsurance are up to date. They will sign you out and, at Poipet, they said I could only take the bike out for 30 days or on re entering Thailand I would incur a fine of 100 baht per day. How dumb is that?..... What if I wanted to go on to Vietnam or laos or somewhere? On the cambodian side they don't care. I needed nothing from them on entry and on exit. Its the Thais that do the quibbling.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by danwhite

Just back in Thauiland from Cambodia. On the thai side you will need your green book and make sure your tax and sinsurance are up to date. They will sign you out and, at Poipet, they said I could only take the bike out for 30 days or on re entering Thailand I would incur a fine of 100 baht per day. How dumb is that?..... What if I wanted to go on to Vietnam or laos or somewhere? On the cambodian side they don't care. I needed nothing from them on entry and on exit. Its the Thais that do the quibbling.

Dan
That Thai Customs form they sign you out on is a Temporary Import / Export form (See image 7 in the docs gallery https://www.gt-rider.com/docsgallery/FrameSet.htm)with a stipulated time period that the bike maybe imported / exported, and if the bike over stays then you have a fine to pay. It applies both ways import and export. The export "over stay" is a bit weird though & Ive been threatened with a fine once or twice before, but so far been able to get out it. But apparently that is the law.

How was your trip anyway - any chance of a brief trip report?

Davidfl
Keep The Power On

Oct 1, 2005
Much as I love living and working in thailand their prediliction for complicated paperwork can be a pain..... Trip was good. I have known Cambodia since the early nineties ( I am a journalist). I never liked dirt biking (hurts my bum... I like surfaced roads and restaurants). Although I have ridden around India, Thailand, Vietnam and a number of other places on little bikes from 125s to 350s since the 80s I never did the cambos although I have covered the whole country in 4 by 4s for work over the years. From Poipet to Sisophon the road is still a pain... Rubbish quite frankly (Bangkok Airways?... Angkor Wat?). From Sisiphon to Phnom Penh is a race track now (although I am a natural slow coach on account of scenery etc). I remember that road back in 95 on pickups. It was awful. Now its really fun and you can stop in Kompong Chnang and look at all the river stuff. I am tryting to find out what is the state of the road down from Buriram/Surin to Siem Reap.... That would be interesting. Also the pailin border crossing is open. Just after KR times that road was crap. It still is apparently... But it is bearable. Its opened up Koh Chang to them as lives in Battambang. Anyway.... Once you are past sisiphon the road to PP is like a nice provincuial Thai road..... Excellent. Also if you are getting to Aran from BKK you can go on route 3259 through the nature reserve. Beautiful. If you take the fast road its still ok after Chachaengsao. I did it in 3 1/2 hours on my (admittedly souped up) Kawasaki GTO- gas-cylinder-delivery-bike. On a big bike you could do it quicker.

Wombat

Aug 25, 2005
Hi Dave and all.......100 baht a day fine or 1000 baht maximum fine regardless of how long your bike has overstayed its 30 days.I had a copy of the Thai Customs law regarding 'overstay' with me at the border.Saved a lot of confusion,time and what could have meant me digging into my pockets for a heftier donation!

wombatsoup-making life taste better!

Oct 1, 2005
The road is a bit crap really.... No good on a sports bike. An averge road bike is ok. On a sports bike pay some one to put it on a pick up to sisipohn. Then you are ok.

Woody

Feb 22, 2006
OK, got the bike out of Thailand with out too many problems, had to pay the customs guy in Cambodia a small amount for him to close one eye to my Thai registered bike, not really sure what it was for but as the amount was 'Up to me' I just gave him a few dollars to keep him sweet. Also had to put a switch on my headlight so I can turn it off, weird rule, but I got sick of getting pulled up every other day.
Thanks for all the info you have given.
Woody

razin

Jun 11, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by danwhite

The road is a bit crap really.... No good on a sports bike. An averge road bike is ok. On a sports bike pay some one to put it on a pick up to sisipohn. Then you are ok.

thanks for the info danwhite...
a hayabusa actually :)...but I plan to ride my piaggio zip 125 instead so that I can cross into Vietnam...