Importing chopper.. piece by piece

Mr R

Feb 19, 2007
Hello I am thinking of bringing my chopper project over here from California. It is currently in pieces. should I bring it as part of my luggage? Or should I use something like UPS and have it shipped and claim it as spare parts?? I am determined and don't care about not having a plate number or book. Any ideas?? HMMM???

Jun 21, 2006
It wouldnt be a good idea, if you do expect heaps of hassell from the authorities.

read all the thread of link below

http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... hichpage=5

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Hi Mr R,
If you are determined your best Bet would be Just to bring it in Complete and Pay the Tax/VAT which will be 84% of the Bikes Value so i suggest you get some Invoices made up for the Cost of the bike. Don't make it to Cheap as if they think you are cheating them they could claim the Bike, make it about 70% of real Value.You can Claim the 7% VAT back later. You will either have to get an import License Yourself or use an Agent who has one. We are in Chiang Mai and have the license. We have Imported 16 Off Road Buggies and 3 Motorcycles so Far with 2 more Bikes on the way. If you do it legally you are entitled to the Rego/green book but you may still have to get your Bike Certified by the Authorities in Bangkok which i am doing for our New Bikes. This costs a minimum of 27.000 Baht depending on if you have to change anything to Comply. It is a Silly Complicated System but T.I.T.
Good Luck and see you here.
Cheers Ian.

Mr R

Feb 19, 2007
OK, Now what if I just want to bring the chopper frame?? Do I just claim it and pay tax for it at the airport? Or can I send it through UPS?? Thanks 4 the help.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Ian that is very interesting I have been checking out bikes is Southern California to ship opver here myself. I have been apprehensive a I keep hearing 200% of value.

What is your fee for doing the import?

Do you arrange shipping or is that something that I should do it myself?

Oct 17, 2006
The problem is that customs do their own valuation they look up the price of an item in the USA and add 20% for good luck so what they ask for u have to pay.

Sep 19, 2006
Hi Ray and Guys,
The 200% you keep hearing is for Cars. There are so many Interpretations of the Laws here everyone has a different View of it. I have also heard what Monsterman said, and it also depends who you get to Handle your particular case at Customs, Some Arsehole having a Bad day or Someone who isn't to worried and just wants to get home. I am using the Next two Bikes as a Case Study so will be able to say more once done because they will be registered, All my previous Imports are only for Off Road. The Motor Vehicle Registration Office Here and in Bangkok told us they will Never Register ATV's or Buggys!!!, yet i was told by someone they Rent ATV's in Pattaya and he saw one with a Red Plate??? So really hard to know anything in Thailand???
I have a Good Friend in Japan who Buys Cars and Bikes to send Back to NZ, He can get Harleys, Ducatis any bike really for Great prices and that is what i am Ultimately Aiming for! I am Told Vehicles from California are Choked up with Emmission Gear. Depending on the Model you may get it cheaper in another Country? I haven't Imported for anyone else yet but if i get the System Right i will. Getting the Right People in the Right Places takes time. I will put a Message up so you can all see what happens. Till Then.
Cheers Ian.

Sep 19, 2006
Sorry i forgot to answer Mr R,
I get spare Parts sent UPS and other companies all the Time. The Freight costs loads more but much easier that Shipping as most times they just send it straight through to you. Customs check at Random so not everything. Some times we get checked and have to pay parts Duty which varies on what sort of part but around 30%. Once you have Built your Bike you may still have to do the Certification thing in BKK and pay Taxes or else find someone who does the Recycled Book/Plate.
I am no Expert at any of this but trying to learn so don't take it as Exact. Monsterman and others probably have much more experience i think. So Good Luck.
Cheers Ian.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Ian,

With these things half the time the people you are dealing with don't know what to do, so they will make it as difficult and expensive as they can, hopeing that you will give up and come back another time to deal with somone else.

Try and find yourself one person who you always deal with, who knows and trusts that you aren't doing anything dodgy (like getting stolen bikes from Japan), and who is willing to learn the process with you to make things run smoothly.

I think there is and will be a growing business doing this sort of thing, both for expats and for locals, if you can get the price down.

I guess that Peter from Siam Superbike will now come on here and give you a BIG WARNING about who you partner with.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Cheers,
Daewoo

Mr R

Feb 19, 2007
Thanks a bunch everyone. Im goin for it!!! I"ll let you know how everything goes. Cheers!!

Sep 19, 2006
Hi Daewoo,
Exactly right on all counts. I believe there is a good opening for someone who does it Right and Legal!!! Also don't be Greedy with the prices. Getting the Same Person to use each time is one thing i am trying to sort out. This is Not intended to be my Main business more of a Hobby because i like Bikes. My Friend in Japan Buys Wholesale at Auctions for Car Yards in NZ. No Stolen stuff and all Legal, The Bike Side is also his Hobby he was one of the founding Members of Anglo American Bike Club in NZ. The Best Partner is NO Partner, just myself and Wife. I will keep everyone updated. Keep Well.
Cheers Ian.

Oct 17, 2006
dont ask me guys i have had enough of being arse raped by customs and their bullshit buddies,
also us UPS or DHL, do not send anything bike related into Thailand by FEDEX ever.

monsterman

Nov 11, 2006
Monsterman - me too. My "friendly" customs agent and customs conspired to extract lots of cash from me to the extent that in the end I just wanted to get my bike out of customs and not to lose it forever,which was the threat.
So here I am with the bike but absolutely no papers or documents at all to verify that it's even in Thailand. Can't register it, can't re-export it, can't sell it!
Any ideas on this one guys?

Oct 15, 2006
Hi guys,
I finally bought my Harley over here. Sounded like too much hazzle to bring it in in parts. I think if I ever brought another one in parts, I would probably just import the Frame and motor as parts (35% duties) and then carry in the rest myself. That way, at least, you can register it afterwards with the invoice for the frame and cases, I think.

Haven't registered mine yet. Probably this fall, when I get back from my Canada trip. Paid 450000 for a '95 Dyna Low Rider, seemed like an acceptable price for me, because the same bike, would probably cost me about 300000 Baht in Canada and then I'd have the hazzle of taking it apart, shipping it, paying for 35% duties, plus shipping and putting it back together over here. Not to mention sleezy Customs Agents, etc. Thanks for your advise, David and Jerry. Now I am up in the wind and happy. Even if I could have saved a few $'s, it wouldn't have been worth it.

If anyone has good advise on cheaply registering it, it would be greatly appreciated. Are Harley's more expensive to register? The reason I ask is, that a Club Thai Club member offered to take the 400 Steed and me to Bangkok, last year, and he said it would cost us only about $35000 Baht to register the Steed there. From what I have been hearing now, people are talking about registering Harleys for $60000 - $70000 Baht. Is that because Thailand values them higher?

Kurt

Jun 21, 2006
Globalgypsy, re getting rego for a bike, whilst up in Bangkok last week was quoted 60,000 baht to get green book for 400cc bikes.

This morning called into a big bike shop,in Udon Thani, all there bikes there seem to be unregistered, sports bikes and cruisers plus Dominator. Was quoted again 60,000 baht to get green book, so this seems to be the going rate, even for 400cc bikes, obviously have no idea on Harleys, but I can't imagine them being any cheaper...

Good luck anyway in your search for registration....

Jan 19, 2007
i flew a bike in from the uk, big mistake !, the declared value of the bike was $1900 us, they didnt query it but,,,, assesed their charges on the air freight also, not the 850us i paid but you know when you buy a ticket it has that inflated full price fare ( the one that no-one pays ) they assesed it on that, charged me equavilant of $3500 in taxes, ,and that was reduced from $4500. never again ,i did also buy a set of wheels off ebay for $500 ,got charged 14000 baht in duty, god only knows how they arrived at that figure and i kid you not the fedex woman told me plain and simple "we have wheels in thailand ,and customs will add a figure to compensate and arrive at the same price as a set bought here, " amazing (thailand ) !