Insurance & smallprint

Nov 1, 2005
Hi Guys

Bike renting is going OK, except for the insurance. PVO and Green Discovery keep putting contracts under my nose that obligate me to PAY FOR EVERYTHING in case of ANYTHING. Guidebooks say to read the smallprint but what if states this? PVO is highly recommended, as is Green Disc. People at the shops generally speak too little English to go into this deeply and get to the bottom of it. I feel a bit afraid of blazing away and go bankrupt in case of an accident. I mean, having to pay the price of the bike in case it's my fault is probably inescapable, but what about other people's damage or injuries? And what if it isn't my fault? And what if the insurance-papers they give me are all in Lao and unintelligable?

Does anyone have any solid info on what exactly happens in case of an accident (insurance-wise)? Should I keep up my paranoia or just say a prayer and twist my wrist?

Hope to hear from you

Bart

Jan 22, 2005
Hi Bart,

No "solid info" except, only allow them to keep a copy of your passport - not the original. This will allow you some fast exit options should you run into a problem as to who was right/wrong and how much to settle.

Cheers,
David and Mai

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Bart

Not sure about Lao Insurance, but standard motorcycle insurance in Thailand covers medical only.

If you have an accident here, and are found at fault (which will probably happen), you will have to pay for all property damage, to their vehicle and yours. Also, there is no theft insurance on your bike, so that comes out of your pocket as well.

You will also have to pay any medical expenses over the covered amount, and will have to pay a settlement as well.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Nov 1, 2005
So basically, having to pay for the other party's damage means that I'm hardly to be called insured.
Hm.
Copy of passport will not do, I'm afraid. I have to say that if I were renting my bikes out in this country I would ask for a passport, too. But where in Vientiane did you manage to get away with this? I could always try...

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
The insurance is pretty cheap, so you really cannot expect much in the way of coverage. The Thai minimum insurance is 645 baht/year - about $16 USD.

When we take bikes into Laos, we have to buy temporary insurance at the border crossing. That coverage is about $3 USD for 10 days of coverage. Yearly coverage is much less per day.

As far as theft, park the bike safely at night. Look for places with some kind of security. Some hotels will want you to park in the lobby.

It is like the joke about the guy teaching his wife to drive.
"Honey, if you have to hit anything, make sure that it is cheap and soft!!"

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Aug 31, 2005
Insurance is a real issue in Lao. There is only one company licensed to sell insurance. So without any competition you can draw you own conclusions on how good it is. Because of this I buy the absolute minimum required for my bike. Total price 117,000 kip. About $10.50 per year. Riding with no insurance means you need to take care and being the foreigner you are almost always going to have to pay some compensation if involved in an accident. You know how it goes, "if you didn't come to my country this accident wouldn't have happened so therefore its your fault".

Mike

Mike