It's on! GT here we come!!

Sep 13, 2008
After much planning and anticipation March 2009 has finally arrived! The countdown is now 20 days until my two friends and I leave the land of 10,000 frozen lakes for our all-too-short visit to Chiang Mai and the Golden Triangle. We have spent many hours pouring over the fantastic reports on this site trying to learn as much as we can from all the wonderful contributors to whom we owe a huge debt of gratitude. I cannot wait to begin!

Our basic plan is to arrive CM on 22 March, find suitable rentals and get settled. On 23 March we will ride a one day trip (Mae Wang Loop perhaps?) as a shakedown (thaw-out?) before checking out of our hotel and heading north on 24 March for five or so days of adventure.

We have David's GT Map, the forum's recommendations, and the desire to squeeze as much into our all-too-short window of opportunity. I plan on stopping at The Kafe to say hello to any GT-Rider contributors and soak up any last words of advice and also perhaps convince one or more to ride along with us on our 23 March day trip.

Thank you David and all GT-Rider forum contributors for the help and inspiration you have given us. We will record our adventure in pictures and words to post here when we return home. While I doubt we will offer many insights to GT touring hopefully we will provide you with a few smiles.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Good luck for your trip in LOS, but please don't be too rigid on your plan, enjoy this country "as it comes". Thailand is really wonderfull when you brake all chains (of course not the one of your bike...).

Happy trip to you all !

Oct 1, 2005
No..... actually.... If you are heading out for 5 days from the 24th......

Are you doing the MHS loop?....... With 5 days you could take in the extended bit to Mae Sot.

That's if the whole area isn't completely obscured by the seasonal and acrid haze.

Dec 1, 2006
Hey coldrider, I'm green with envy! As Azoulay said, don't plan too much. Thailand is more fun when you go with the flow. There's plenty of fun to be had, even if you don't quite cover maximum mileage, believe me. And hey, leave some road for your next trip!

Keep the rubber side down! :)

Sep 13, 2008
Thank you all for your best wishes! We certainly will be "going with the flow" on our trip. The whole point is for us to enjoy ourselves.

I appreciate your comments and take all of your suggestions to heart. Any other tips or words of advice?

12 days and counting!

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
coldrider wrote: Thank you all for your best wishes! We certainly will be "going with the flow" on our trip. The whole point is for us to enjoy ourselves.

I appreciate your comments and take all of your suggestions to heart. Any other tips or words of advice?

12 days and counting!

If anyone in the group has asthma or breathing issues, the smoke is in full force from the annual burning in the mountains. So a moistened bandana over the mouth/nose can reduce the soot in the sinus/lungs.

Bring a camelbak or other means to stay hydrated and stop to cool down often. Heatstroke can kill ya.

Also, make sure you rent a properly registered bike and have your rental agreement with you all the time. The cops are always looking for a reason to pilfer some baht.

But most of all, have fun. Should be a great trip for you guys!