Kawasaki ER-6n released for 225,000,- Baht

Dec 27, 2007
johngooding wrote: Hi Franz,
I know slightly off topic in a Kawa forum but can you explain why "wrong Use". I ask because I have just put my second set on the FJR and am very happy with them. Again noticed a big improvement in grip and cushioning when new. One does not notice the slow deterioration over 13,000km so much. Just before the change this is the second time I had a puncture in my rear after it lost most of the central tread, and squared off.. Last time was after trip to Khao Yai with Craig and his brother, old tyre in the same condition, so I guess when they are worn to that level they are more prone to punctures. Cheers John
Hi John,
You got 13,000 km out of a set of Pirellis?
Wow! That's impressive! Any tread left?
Must be a significantly harder compound than the Dragon Supercorsa Pro.
I'll have to give them a try.
Happy Trails!
Tony 8)

Dec 27, 2007
Franz wrote: Tony, ever tried Pirelli's Diablo Rosso on the ER6N ? I had them on the FJR (wrong use), they lastet longer than the original Bridgestones by 1000km and their performance was absolutely stunning both in dry and wet conditions. Would be worth a try. Cheers, Franz
Hi Franz!

Ive heard nothing but good things about the Diablo Rosso Corsa III but from reading the reviews it sounds like more of a sport tire than sport touring...

It is compared to sport tires like the Dunlop D208, Bridgestone BT010 and BT012, Michelin Pilot Sport and Metzeler Sportec M-1

So- I've no doubt it's an outstanding tire, but I'm not sure it would last any longer than the Pirelli Dragon's that I'm running now. To be honest- I'm really not sure what the difference is between the Pirelli Dragon and Diablo lines...

Guess there's only one way to find out - I'll have to give 'em a try! 8)

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Tony,
Yes 13K from the original OEM Bridgestones, you may remember at Kanchanaburi, i was having a wet grip problem as my front had a flat worn on one side. Back tyre was squared off but still had some tread.
Changed the front on the way home for the Pirelli Diablo Rosso (I think thats not the same as the Corsa).. Next ride out puncture in the back tyre so changed that.
New tyres did 13,800km, still some tread, but rear tyre flatted off, slick for the central 40mm or so, then had puncture, so replaced both F and R.
The FJR has a lot of torque, I do not really accelerate hard in low gears, and mostly use engine braking, I think I am fairly easy on the tyres. Not into the burnouts!, and ABS and linked brakes make it difficult to leave skid marks.

Oct 17, 2006
Tony,

I am most interested in this bike, would attach sidecar. Because I can't test ride it myself( without the stabilizing 3rd wheel)
would you occasionally post a seating position photo, side view?
Understand it's a relatively short bike, any handling observations, comfort on long rides ?
Pico

Dec 27, 2007
PICO-PICO wrote: Tony,

I am most interested in this bike, would attach sidecar. Because I can't test ride it myself( without the stabilizing 3rd wheel)
would you occasionally post a seating position photo, side view?
Understand it's a relatively short bike, any handling observations, comfort on long rides ?
Pico
Sorry, but why in the world would someone try to attach a sidecar to an ER6?! The bike needs a sidecar like a pig needs a bicycle. Might as well just drive a car, no? I must be missing something here...

Oct 17, 2006
Colin, point well taken.
Tony, I like your pig analogy very much ! A pig instead of a sledge dog, why on earth?

Now , to explain myself a bit more, I am very very happy with my Silverwing, for normal riding. Headache it causes in extreme situations, because of the belt automatic, going slow up very steep hills and I never know is it the belt still pulling or the clutch. Risk of overheating, losing all grip. Makes simply insecure. Can't afford to get stuck between hills in remote areas. For that reason I didn't dare to go into Lao. Here help is never too far.

Joe and I have been brainstorming a lot.
Goldwing/ Valkyrie =
+ comfy, strong, reverse gear
- to much plastic, too pompous, bloody expensive. Does the ratio = more fun than Silverwing versus massiv expenditure make sense? Highly questionable.

BMW LT tempting, but again the fun/expenditure ratio question. Will I get that much more living pleasure out of it?

At least that ratio speaks for the Kawa, but the rest apparently not.

I know , gentlemen, I am blabbering more to myself and one day I will come to a conclusion.
But right now I am enjoying this small pain of the decision making process.

After all , each and every day I say to myself=
Another boring day in paradise. Who can tolerate so much happiness?
Pico

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
John & Tony, sorry I reply so late; well mine were gone after 7.000 kms but much better grip than the original Bridgies (6.000kms) and much better grip in all conditions. Yep Tony they're Sport tyres for use on a R1 and not on a big f... like the FJR. John, try the Sport Touring Tyres, they're on mine now and they actually wear very little but are a more slippery than the Rosso's. Called Diablo Strada, need to get warmed up properly before leaning into them. Cost nearly the same but fit the bike more than the Bridgestones. My Diablo Rossos were worn down to the thread on the backtyre and the front was ugly triangle shaped with no more grip in any turn. Bike was nearly impossible to steer in a narrow curve always headed straight.......So both of you, give the Pirelli's a try :lol: , guy at Pirelli Thailand is very helpful, I've posted somewhere on a tyre post. Cheers, Franz

gobs

Feb 8, 2007
Hi Pico,

What power/torque range are you searching for?
If I understand well, you "need" à 3rd wheel, don't you?
IMHO, the ER6 should not be so convenient. It's a sport-touring bike: body a bit bent over the tank, feet a bit high and shocks a bit stiff, and as said Captain you should lose in comfort for sure in comparison with the Silverwing...
Why wouldn't you consider a "modern" dual-purpose bike as a Yam TDM or a Honda Transalp or some other model like that?.. You get some good middle range power and torque. "Modern" dual-purpose bikes are not "enduro" bikes and though they are sometimes a bit high, they are easy to handle and comfortable enough for long rides. Further more, IMHO, they are sufficiently smooth and "peaceful" to be handled with a side-car... You can too adjust the shocks for a softer ride...
For my part I own a BMW F650GS (single cylinder: 50hp/6mkg) and you drive it like a cow-boy riding a horse... I mean you are sat in the hollow of a good saddle, body straight, legs at ease and the handle-bar just come right in your hands, arms relaxed...
Slowly or quickly, no fear, no surprise... It's like a bicycle with an engine... Or a toy in the city trafic or on dirt roads... And I can easily imagine this bike with a side-car...

Just my two cents (of Euro :wink: )...

Cheers,
Gobs

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Nothing as confortable as a BMW GS 1200 Adventure, believe I tried quite a lot of bikes and have some still, but I never had a so confortable and nice to ride as the GS.

When I was intending to buy one some month ago, one of you said that i'ld feel like the "King of the Road"...that's right and it's good.

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Laurent,
Good to hear you have the same feeling.

Of course what I should have said, is ONE of the KINGS of the road, because I already feel that way and we cannot have too many of the above mentioned over here

0zz1

May 31, 2008
Can anyone recommend tyres for ER-6n for a ermh... difficult roads. Lets just say that I need to drive from Ulan Batoor (Mongolia) to Kiev in Ukraine.

Thats about 7.500 km but half of it is pretty bad almost like off road driving and I know this bike is not best for those roads, but what kind of tyres would you recommend?

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
0zz1 wrote: Can anyone recommend tyres for ER-6n for a ermh... difficult roads. Lets just say that I need to drive from Ulan Batoor (Mongolia) to Kiev in Ukraine.

Thats about 7.500 km but half of it is pretty bad almost like off road driving and I know this bike is not best for those roads, but what kind of tyres would you recommend?

Ozz1
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/

have a llok on HUD, there is a tons of info about your mentionen countries and also traveler stories

hs0zfe

Aug 31, 2009
Hi All,

I tried to look up the info on the Kawa website and it was all in Thai. Some are financing it? I would let my wife do it...

I'm excited about the boost for the market thanks to Kawasaki!

Ride on,

Chris

Dec 27, 2007
0zz1 wrote: Can anyone recommend tyres for ER-6n for a ermh... difficult roads. Lets just say that I need to drive from Ulan Batoor (Mongolia) to Kiev in Ukraine.

Been VERY happy with the Pirelli MT60's on my ER6n

0922PirelliMT60ER6FrtSm.jpg

Not sure they'd last 7500km though...

092709ChaiyaphumFlood1Sm.jpg

Seems a good dual sport balance for mostly road riding-
ON-OFF-TyreRange3_03.gif

0922PirelliMT60ER6BkSm.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Nice looking 2010 ER6n! 8)
Can't quite tell from your pics- did you re-spray her gray or pearl white?
Happy Trails!
Tony

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
I am not good enough in spraying :) ! Yes Nikster, it is the official kit from Kawa (for white lovers). Just 10'000 THB and, in addition, you get all the black parts, if one day mood is changing. I found it quite amazing! It is a pearl white, of course I found it lovely :), but it is certainly a question of taste.
It seems that this colour is for models exported to Europe and they kept some here, if I understood well.

Dec 27, 2007
A lot of folks are looking for a good aftermarket screen for their ER6n and the choices from Givi and Puig leave something to be desired.

Just spotted this creative solution the other day-
ER6nNinja650RScreen.jpg

It's the stock Kawasaki windscreen from the Ninja 650R/ER6f :mrgreen:

ER6nNinja650RScreen1.jpg

WAY bigger than the little screens on offer from Puig and Givi and at only 600 Baht it's a fraction of the cost as well!
ER6nNinja650RScreen2.jpg

Just have to have the mounting brackets made up- pretty simple job that just about any metal working shop should be able to do for a few hundred Baht.

Apologies for the terrible quality pics- taken with phone camera. :oops:

Ride On!

Tony

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
Was considering to have something mounted today (leaving for an Isan tour tomorrow). Now I hesitate! Maybe I better let it open till I am back. Thank you for the hint

Aug 27, 2007
Thanks for that Tony....doesn't look too fugly .....may look into it for doing some long distance miles. Agree with you on the Puig / Givi screens....over priced crap.