Kawazaki Dirt Tracker.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I just had a Thai Guy at the X-Centre with a near new Kawazaki 250 Dirt Tracker. He said they are Built in Thailand for Export. Claims early next Year they will have Dealers selling them in Thailand and will be able to get Plates. I will be waiting to see that? They had the KX 300 for sale here in Chiang Mai before but Dubious about the Plate and 300.000 Baht!!!
Cheers Ian.

IFR

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Saw that KLX300 too mate and nearly fell over at the price! I believe that the D-Tracker comes in Supermoto guise which could be a good tool for around here. Looking at Rhodie's Triumph post, it could be that we at last start to have a choice of bikes. Fancy a T100 Bonnie myself - mmmmmmm....

BTW, how is your back? Would you be up for offroading the Tigers anytime soon?

Cheers,

Pikey.

"No matter how hard you try, you CAN'T polish a turd!"

Jul 17, 2006
Hi!
I'm driving a D-Tracker myself and up to now it's only built and sold in Japan. I tried to get spare parts but it's very difficult (nearly impossible) on a private basis.
Kawa Thailand never answered my requests for information and the website of Kawa Japan is all in Japanese. There you can at least find pictures of the D-Tracker (and other models) and parts:
http://www.kawasaki-motors.com/model/index.jsp
The good thing is that the engine the used in the KLX 250 as well, which is sold nearly everywhere for decades.
The KLX 300 is nice as well (I think it's the same 250 engine tuned up).
BUT: You won't get a legal registration because it's an enduro. Even though there are lights (no indicators) and it's made in Thailand there seems to be no way to get a legal plate!
The official price is 230.000,- Baht, but a dealer in Bangkok was willing to sell a new 2006 model for 200.000,- Baht to my girlfriend (of course, when the farang showed up, it was 250.000,- again).
Don't pay more than the official price (which is still much for a bike you will not get registered).
Is anyone really thinking that "cheap" bikes (or companies with not overpriced/overtaxed bikes) are coming to Thailand?

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Hey Winston,

I doubt very much that we will be in the luxurious position of waltzing into a dealer with a handful of readies and having our pick of new or used bikes at fair prices (as we were all used to in "farangland") but from Ian's post above and Rhodie's previous one about Triumph & KTM, combined with the existing BMW availability, we may at least have more of a choice for legal bikes - if we are willing to pay the premiums........

And of course, give it a few years and these bikes may start appearing on the secondhand market at prices us mere mortals could possibly afford!

Cheers,

Pikey.

"No matter how hard you try, you CAN'T polish a turd!"

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
A couple of years ago I passed a Kawa dealer in Ranong (that's on the south western coast below Burma) when I saw a couple of dirt bikes sitting up front. I checked them out, they were a green Kawa 250 Enduro and an orange 250 D Tracker - brand new! Unfortunately I couldn't get some info because nobody spoke any english and my thai is limited. A month later they were gone...
In my opinion a watercooled 250, lightweight with lots of power, is just the ideal bike to get around and do short trips on; choose between street- or nobby tires...

Jul 17, 2006
quote:

... That suggests it is a locally legit model....... doesn't it??

Yes, because it's made in Thailand. No, because it seems that you won't get a legal registration for it. In the meantime I spoke to 3 Kawa dealers selling the bike as new between 200.000,- and 280.000,- Baht (see my comment above). But all of them agreed that a road legal registration is not possible. Surely there are other ways, which I can't recommend.
Guys, get used to it: there are no legal & cheap bikes in Thailand and I'm afraid there will never be in our lifetime!

It's funny to see grown up men talking about this like kids about having seen Santa coming to town!
Use your brain: How likely is it that KTM or other companies come here (or Triumph sell the bikes they actually make here at the local market) and set up outlets for bikes with decent pricetags and a good service?
Thai politics does not want (!) motorbikes above the 200cc range to be on the road.
It's more likely that there will be a crackdown on illegal registrations for bigger bikes sooner or later.

And even if someone (not KTM itself) should open up a dealership: where are the mechanics supposed to come from? Even today it's more very hard to find one (e.g. at "bigbike" stores).

I don't see any reason for KTM to come here. They are not competing in local offroad-races, they have no experience of doing business (motorcycle business!!) here, and 10-40 units a year is surely not profitable.
KTM and Triumph are companies, not welfare organisations trying to help desperate bikers! Get it?

bung

Feb 6, 2006
That's funny, I just got back from an enduro in Petchabun and there were two vans with KTM plastered all over them and two brand new bikes in the back!