MEKONG DELTA (west heading south) - Accommodation Restaurants

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
GENERAL
- This report concerns itself substantially with a run down the western side of the Delta (with some criss-crossing at times). My Tho, Vinh Long, Tra Vinh, Cao Lanh, Chau Doc & Ha Tien are considerd.
- As with my report on the HCM trail, the accommodation was proposed & organised by Flamingo Travel, Hanoi, to give me access to quality accommodation whilst maintaining access to the Vietnamese people, their life & culture.
- Prices reflect those of October when we travelled. In some places - especially Phu Quoc (see seperate report) - prices can jump markedly in high season (nov 1).
- Exchange rate - for simplicity apply 20,000vd to $US1.
- Cable TV - the package available varies greatly, so programming is very much hit & miss.
- All hotels provide 24hr security parking for bikes.
- Language is a (major) problem - few people speak any english!
- There are a number of associated photos on my associated report concerned with our actual trip through the area:
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/35545-Da-Nang-to-Mekong-Delta-Pt-2-Mekong-Delta-(a-southward-run-to-Phu-Quoc)
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/35556-DA-NANG-to-MEKONG-DELTA-Pt-3-Chau-Doc
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/35565-DA-NANG-to-MEKONG-DELTA-Pt-4-Ba-Chuc-The-Killing-Fields-of-Vietnam
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/35566-DA-NANG-to-MEKONG-DELTA-Pt-5-On-towards-Phu-Quoc

MY THO
Restaurant:
We took lunch at Lac Hong, a wonderfully positioned floating restaurant on the Mekong.
Great ambience; wonderfully presented meals; good, helpful & efficient staff. A pleasant experience & nice break whilst travelling.

VINH LONG
Accommodation:
Hai Dao Homestay, 119/14 Binh Thuan 2, Hoa Ninh, Vinh Long. $15/n inc b'fast & dinner. No AC, Cabel TV (not in room), internet, shared bathroom. Tel: 0703954544.
Great family run affair. Family dedicated to the operation - very helpful & efficient. Wonderful local home cooking. Great experience well away from your normal hotel.

TRA VINH
Accommodation:
Cuu Long, 999 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Tra Vinh. $18 inc b'fast. AC, cable TV, Internet, good bathroom. Tel 0743862615.
A larger style hotel with clean, neat & tidy rooms. Good value at $18 (although prices jump to $33 in high season - nov 1).
(Opposite Cuu Long is Hoan My, tel - 074862211. This has a couple of great options if you are travelling in larger numbers, as a family, for example, & are looking for a larger room accommodating many).

Restaurants:
On the run into town from Vinh Long, a couple of kms before town, you'll find Cuong Thinh. Great meals if you can work out with the non-english speaking staff what you want.

CAO LANH
Accommodation:
Did not actually stay in Cao Lanh but My Tra, on Le Duan, tel - 0673855624, 418/n including b'fast was the suggested stop.

CHAU DOC
Accommodation:
Thuan Loi, 275 Tran Hung Dao, Chau Doc. $12/n, AC, Cable TV, Internet.
Fabulous position; only riverside accommodation anywhere near the price; friendly attentitive & helpful staff. Open air restaurant right on the river; right in the action. (Check your room to see everything works - they'll fix it if not - but who really cares when you see the position!)

Restaurants:
1. Phuong & Be Nei 395 - the two over-water restaurants down by the ferry across to Con Tien island. Two good choices particularly Phuong. Activity all around!
2. Bay Bong - just around the corner from Thuan Loi in Thuong Dang Le (street) opposite the floating restaurant (see below). Ok, but well below the rave review given in one well-known travel guide.
3. Chau Giang - floating restaurant next to the markets & Thuan Loi (hotel), the food is quite good. Great position to watch sanpans working between floating houses & markets. Worth trying.

273691=6552-320.jpg

Flooding in the area is clear from the above photo's coverage of the access to the restaurant.

HA TIEN
Accommodation:
Phuong Thuy, Ha Tien Trade Centre. 250,000vd/n, AC, Cable TV, Internet. Tel - 0773959155.
Neat & clean hotel in convenient position just over the bridge giving easy access to beaches & ferries. Pleasant, co-operative staff.

Restaurants:
Floating - nice place for dinner over the water. Good 'impressive' menu (although (sometimes?) much of what is listed is not available). More than satisfactory over-all.

Astern the floating restaurant:

273691=6554-403.jpg

A romantic outlook from one's table aboard:

273691=6553-401.jpg

In general the restaurant scene in Ha Tien is very much a work in progress. It will improve rapidly with the development associated with the rise of Phu Quoc. In the mean-time, the local fare down around the markets is fine.