Merry Christmas 2020

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
A belated Merry Christmas & thank you to everyone on GTR.
Apologies for this slow Christmas greeting.

1608912051329.png

It has been a tough year for everyone on the planet in 2020, & particularly so for those in North Thailand who’s business and lifestyles are closely related to the tourism business.
Who hasn’t been severely affected – business wise or lifestyle wise? Almost no one.
It’s required serious adjustments & for many the future is quite unclear, GT Rider included, as the world’s economies & lifestyles undergo a reboot.

GTR is struggling the same as many others.
Long multi-day / week trips are only a memory now, with short one day or single over night trips the fashion. Sad indeed it is.

1608912413290.png

To counter this GTR has tried to focus on what we can do locally to maintain some sanity. The monthly GTR Up-country dinners have proved a big success with more riders going each month to spend a night in a place most people wouldn’t stay in by themselves, but each one has been a delightful success as a group. Long may they continue.

1608912217156.png

The annual GTR MHS Memorial saw the biggest crowd group we’ve ever had, and the event ran smoothly.
For everyone who goes on the ride we sincerely appreciate your commitment and respect for the event.
By going on the ride it offers all the participants a time to reflect on mates who are no longer here and to appreciate the camaraderie of our riding friends on the day.
A big thanks to all those who join in on the ride.
We look forward to seeing you all again in 2021.

1608912248925.png

The slowness of the year has also allowed me to update the GTR Forum software & bring it all back up to speed again. This has not been without a significant cost, but I trust the new updated lay out & speed will encourage more people to contribute & comment to encourage me to continue on.

GTR has developed into a nice community or riders helping each other to enjoy the good life we have here motorcycle touring. It is incredible how good it is, compared to how it would be if we were forced to live in the regimented West.

The new wealth from the city slickers has seen a huge increase of traffic in the newly popular mountain areas in the North, and not all of these drivers are competent in the mountains. Once upon a time nearly all the roads were quiet and devoid of traffic but not anymore. Extra care & concentration is now needed to ride safe & stay alive. Even experienced riders can gt themselves into trouble with deadly consequences.

The very recent tragic death of Steve Prince has left many, including myself shocked & deeply affected. Steve was in the group of 27 riders who met up in Si Satchanalai for the GTR dinner, just a week ago, and it was a fabulous night. Everyone got home safely the next day, including Steve & Mark, who went home the longest way with an 800 kms “detour.” And then, the next morning just a few kms home Steve was tragically killed in an accident. We all ride to enjoy our lives here, and at anytime it could quite easily end. It is important to cherish everyday & appreciate all that we have. Let’s never forget to share the love, friendship & respect between each other.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

1608913036172.png

Take care & ride extra safe, should you have to go on a journey at this busy time of the year.

Last edited:

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
A belated Merry Christmas & thank you to everyone on GTR.
Apologies for this slow Christmas greeting.

Long multi-day / week trips are only a memory now, with short one day or single over night trips the fashion. Sad indeed it is.

No reason long multi-day / week trips cant still happen..................infact in my case they have been happening more often................the Big Bike Tours with friends is nearly a weekly ride.............ive just got back earlier this month from 2 weeks in Isaan with Mike Gagne and friends and it was awesome, we just have to forget about border crossings for the time being ;)

And yes Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to fellow riders, lets forget 2020 :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddvar and DavidFL
Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
And might I add a Very Happy Birthday today December 27th to Mr GTR Himself! David Unkovich! Thanks for the Years of Commitment, Service and Sacrifices You have given for all the riding Community. Much appreciated by so many! Wishing You a Beautiful Day and see You tomorrow! Cheers Mate!

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
No reason long multi-day / week trips cant still happen..................infact in my case they have been happening more often................the Big Bike Tours with friends is nearly a weekly ride.............ive just got back earlier this month from 2 weeks in Isaan with Mike Gagne and friends and it was awesome, we just have to forget about border crossings for the time being ;)

And yes Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to fellow riders, lets forget 2020 :p
The curtailing of Multi-day trips is forced on many for economic reasons, not from lack of will or commitment! For those fortunate enough to have a decent income or pension this may have little effect on them at this time but there are many more who have been hit extremely hard and struggling to keep their head above water! I can relate to those people and they have My utmost Sympathy! Forced to Suffer unnecessarily because of this Overreaction to the Virus! Infect everyone and get it over with I say so people can get back to normal! If You think it won't affect You I would suggest You are mistaken this New World Reset being Forced upon Us will change all Our lives forever and things will never be the same! Hold on Tight! Here comes 2021!

Heineken

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 2, 2019
The curtailing of Multi-day trips is forced on many for economic reasons, not from lack of will or commitment! For those fortunate enough to have a decent income or pension this may have little effect on them at this time but there are many more who have been hit extremely hard and struggling to keep their head above water! I can relate to those people and they have My utmost Sympathy! Forced to Suffer unnecessarily because of this Overreaction to the Virus! Infect everyone and get it over with I say so people can get back to normal! If You think it won't affect You I would suggest You are mistaken this New World Reset being Forced upon Us will change all Our lives forever and things will never be the same! Hold on Tight! Here comes 2021!

Understood Ian, I remember at our last GTR dinner someone said to me that things will improve in 2021, I said thats only 2 x weeks away :)

I realize it is an issue but I tend to think it is an over reaction worldwide for a virus, maybe I dont understand it 100% but to me the world will take many years or more to get back to pre covid 19 times, if ever, sad for sure :weary_face:

Reactions: Ian Bungy

Tejas Barc

SEAsia nOoB
Aug 28, 2019
Khon Kaen
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all here. Let's enjoy what we have. Hope I meet and ride with many of you this new year.
Barc
IMG_20201227_174558.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian Bungy