DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
All the best everyone from David Unk @ GTR
1640374157416.jpeg

2021 has been year two of Covid-19, with restrictions & lock-downs, disrupting and destroying people’s lives and businesses.
It has been a very testing time, polarising society even more, testing friendships & relationships in the process.
The governments & leaders all seemed to have failed, feeling their way with an unprecedented crisis. Criticism has been relentlessness.
Society and life has had life turned upside down, the planet has had rug pulled out from under it.

Thailand has continued to be a fantastic place to be a biker with an increasing brilliant road network. Long may it continue. Despite the politics & continued visa issues, our riding life has not been greatly affected.

In fact since February when I bought my 2nd Vstrom I’ve managed to clock up 33,000 trouble free kms. No vax checks or hassles at health / police checkpoints anywhere. And I’m not the only one who has clocked up high kms, Mike Gagne & Youngie also seem to have excelled themselves. We don’t complain, living here is a joy!

For the future, whatever it is, it is what it is & we need to adjust and deal with it.

With a massive downturn in tourism & travel, everyone is struggling. On the positive side many people upcountry have more time to talk & be hospitable. There’s no frantic rush to grab as many bahts as you can while the stampede of mass tourism is on.
Considerable magic charm of Thailand has returned in many places, there are even some locals who prefer it that way too they say. They have their sabai sabai life back.
I’ve enjoyed it more than ever chatting with locals too & met some wonderful friendly characters. These people are the highlight and total joy every bike trip. They’re the best part of any trip for me – the local people.

In December we had GTR Up Country Dinner # 37 & there’s no disputing these events have all been fun & a success.
Every little town we have stayed in has been fun, we’ve been well received by the locals for supporting their little communities & they’ve all asked for us to return! 2022 is looking awfully good though.

Let the good times roll.

Thank you everyone for supporting GTR.
The banner sponsors - Big Bike Tours BBT & Big Bike Touring Co.
The report contributors
The subscribers.
All your efforts are much appreciated in these difficult times.