Monaco 250DJ or Honda Phantom?

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
I'm in the market for a small chopper like the Phantom and came across a shop selling new Monacos for 45,000 baht... Apparently these are Taiwanese bikes and I can't find much about them online.

What are these bikes like? For 45K new I'd imagine they're a bit of a joke... No?

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
http://www.platinummotorsale.com/shopper1.html

I can't find any other info on these on the net. Funnily enough, these are the guys I found today in my travels.

I did ask him to start the bike and it did seem to work, after stalling twice. Also, I think the only part that wasn't plastic was the engine. Even that's questionable.

Hmmm...

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
Yeah ok, sold.

I've got a couple of private sellers lined up but I'm keen to check out some shops as well. Can you point me to some places that might be selling second hand Phantoms?

Rode around aimlessly for a few hours today and found one but it's an old 150cc 2 stroke for 22K. Not a fan.

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Liam on 0831874016 at Chiang Mai is selling a good Phamton give him a ring. Oh all details are under the buy and sell section of this site including pictures.

cheers Ken F

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
If you want to save a bit there's the Kawasaki Boss 175, not a bad bike for the money. I've had both and I'd spend some more and go with the Honda, you won't regret it in the long run!

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
KenYam wrote: Liam on 0831874016 at Chiang Mai is selling a good Phamton give him a ring. Oh all details are under the buy and sell section of this site including pictures.

cheers Ken F
Shame the email notifications on this forum are broken otherwise I would definitely have called him. I've already bought a bike now but thanks for the tip.

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Not sure if the email notifications are broken. Normally I get these notifications but did not get them for about 2 weeks or so. Yesterday, when checking my spam folder I found them in there (I am using Gmail).

Oct 1, 2005
Phantom or Boss.... Both excellent. I have done every corner of Thailand (from Mae Hong Son to Songkla to Ubon to Nong Khai), Cambodia and then Pakse to Luang Prabang in Laos in the last year. Now doing Cambodia again. No problem with the bike whatsoever apart from ordinary maintenence such as chain and sprockets. On the Kawi Boss.... Excellent machine. Starts first time always.

Captain Slash has done untold numbers of miles on his Phantom.... No problems there either I believe. Both are much the same and have adequate speed (less you are a motorway fiend) and hold there torq well on hills. Honda have wider range of dealers. The new Phantoms have an embarressing petrol tank though.

Oct 1, 2005
No offence to Phantom owners (Colin!... Forgive me!) but it has flame like motifs.... Not very appropriate on a 200cc bike.... And a worthy one at that. It's all a bit nobby. Slightly arse-end-macho-Americana perceived through provincial Thai eyes. The old Phantoms had great tanks.

lmacka

Jun 14, 2009
I have a new model with a plain tank. I don't like the flames either - they're wanky.

http://distantexistence.com/wp-content/ ... 6231_2.jpg

Yes it's only 200cc but it's perfect for what I want it for. Although it looses its balls when you have an overweight backpacker on the back and you're attempting a steep hill. (I made her walk it)

Oct 1, 2005
That is a phantom with a respectable tank (no offence Captain)..... The crash bars are a good idea as well..... They serve a very useful purpose as I have discovered..... Very good bike. Reliable. It will do you fine around most places you want ride in the region.

Nov 2, 2008
_mg_5737-310x150.jpg

Imacka we loved your story, and luck, on getting your bike registered!

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I had a dark greenish blue one, the tank had white sides, it looked cool. I like an all black look but the new Phantoms I don't like.