motorcycling western Thailand

tgaven

Mar 22, 2006
Can anyone help me with info on riding on the western (Burmese) side of Thailand? I have previously ridden the Golden Triangle, Mae Hong Son Loop, and down the east side from Mae Sai down to Ko Chang. I'm interested in doing the other side and have heard there is good riding around Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Three Pagodas pass, etc. I'm wondering what the roads are like, where should I start and where can I hire a bike? One option is to start from Chiang Mai - about 600 kms I think. Would this be a good ride and would it be boring going back again or is there a slightly differen route? Another option is to start and finish in Hua Hin. Are bikes availble for rent in Hua Hin? The other option is to start from Phuket - also about 600 kms to Kanchanaburi? So the question might be, what is the better ride - Chiang Mai down to Hua Hin or Phuket up to Kanchanaburi? Also can decent bikes be rented in Hua Hin or Phuket?

Any advice very welcome

Terry, Australia

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
For riding in west Thailand look for posts by Captain Slash in the Thailand other Forum (thailand-other-f5.html). He provides lots of information what to see and about conditions of the roads, places to stay and eat, etc.

With regard to renting of motorcycles I can't help but hopefully others will provide information on that part of your question.

tgaven

Mar 22, 2006
Thanks, Aoke the posts from Captain Slash are very good for the area around Kanchanaburi. But I'm still wanting to know about the road down from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi. About 600 kms and I'd like to know if it's good riding, boring or what?