My 1984 MTX 200 project bike is finally done !!!!!!!

Feb 23, 2003
Bike was a lot of work , but in the end worth it. A lot of fun to ride,
with wheelies in first three gears. Just finished putting on the front
forks from a DR 200, so now the bike finally stops. The former
front drum brake seemed to be just for decoration...
It is 28 horsepower, and about 110 kilos.

IMG_1483.png

IMG_1484.png

IMG_1485.png

IMG_1486.png

IMG_1487.png

Here is how the bike looked when I first got it. It had a 125 engine with a bad second gear, so
I bought a 200 engine from Japan, and then swapped it in. Both engine use the same mounts.

IMG_1182.png

Jul 20, 2013
Rhiekel, nice project! MTX125 were standard rental bikes in Phuket in the 80's, I used them regularly when on R&R from Singapore doing some very nice trails round the island with my wife on the back, had a few "offs" that's for sure. Lots of them were in poor condition and would overheat on steep sections. Have a snap from that time of me in "The Expat" with a good new one outside. Nice light bike. I have recently seen one, possibly a 200 as rear tyre size looked bigger than the 125 in my photo, outside a bike shop in Krabi town - not yours? Like the RAM ball mounted on top of brake reservoir, the four prong thing on headstock is for a phone or GPS - where did you get it?
John

Feb 23, 2003
Haha yes I see you know the bike. It does tend to overheat on long hill climbs, so I put in
a small electric fan behind the radiator with a handle bar mounted on / off switch. So
if there are some hill climbs coming up I just flip it on. The RAM ball mount on the brake
reservoir is used as a camera mount. The four prong thing is a RAM X mount. Squeeze the
arms slightly together, and it will lock an IPhone very securely in the mount. I just got
tired of buying Garmin GPS units, so now I just use my phone. Trick is to buy a
waterproof case for your phone such as the Survivor...
og-colors-blackblack.jpg

Feb 23, 2003
Moto-Rex;298880 wrote: What a ripper. Looks great mate.

Cheers Rex
Thanks !!! As I said , it was a lot of work to get it done. Being thirty years old, it
becomes very tough to get parts . I did get a lot of help from the MTX club here in
Thailand. I look forward to going on a ride with them..
Bike does take a different riding style though. Cannot sort of tractor it up hills like
a four stroke bike. You really need to attack the hills to keep the rpms in the upper
part of the power band.