New GTR Format with Paywall

Maverick

Jan 9, 2022
Just a thought, but maybe un-paywall the thread - or at least the first message of the thread - discussing the paywall. So far I haven’t found any forums I’m allowed to read without paying but that makes it difficult to decide if it’s worthwhile.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Just a thought, but maybe un-paywall the thread - or at least the first message of the thread - discussing the paywall. So far I haven’t found any forums I’m allowed to read without paying but that makes it difficult to decide if it’s worthwhile.

We tried that at first, but it did not work very well.
The way it is set up now, you should get 3 free post reads a week; after which you get a reminder. We think that is pretty fair & should provide sufficient incentive to take out a sub.
BTW 1 beer a month / 80 baht a month is hardly extortion & many guys would not hesitate to have a couple a day.

Reactions: Oddvar

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
DavidFL

All I can see is

Thank you for using Golden Triangle Rider, we hope you are enjoying the content.​

To continue getting access to the thousands of informative Tips and Trip Reports from our huge biking community, please register and upgrade your status on Golden Triangle Rider.​

I have been wondering how I can pay GTR for ages, esp after the Debit Card tale happened that I have
already alluded to today, and also in the past. I asked if I should contact you via PM if you wish. (please tell me how), and
yes I have looked in Newbie file once tonight and once weeks ago. Or I can email you. I have already written
this tonight. Now I am writing it again. I have no answer re PM or Email, so I will email you OK.
What I say here is all true, and I have tried my best, but all I can see is

Thank you for using Golden Triangle Rider, we hope you are enjoying the content.​

To continue getting access to the thousands of informative Tips and Trip Reports from our huge biking community, please register and upgrade your status on Golden Triangle Rider.​

Can you read what I am writing? I’ll just email you OK? Hopefully we can sort it out
on there, or better still just use the phone. This is all so crazy. I dont mind paying.
Why not have a link as to how to PM, or tell me email OK, I have 4 replies from you,
but all I can see is...

Upgraded you're status. You're subscribed.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Just yet another update, we are still stuck with the Paypal account in Oz also being blocked now.
Whether this one can be sorted out or not, we should know next week.
If there any kind gtr suporters who would like to subscribe, but can't with the automtic system, I can supply a Thai / Oz bank account, or another PayPal email address for a manual subscription.
Thanks in advance for your patience.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Finally, we believe everything is working ok as it should be.

So for anyone wishing to support GTR & get all the updates + info, you are now able to renew your subscription.

If you're stuck in Thailand with a blocked PayPal acount, please PM for a local bank account to pay into.

Plus order GTR maps.

BTW, there were 2 issues that needed to be solved & both were with PayPal & the set up.

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
For the people asking & caught out.

If you don't have a working Paypal account please message me for bank account details & I will manually upgrade your status on GTR, once we have payment.

Times are still tough folks & it costs money to keep the forum online & very slow map sales & a poor business is not helping at all.
The fee of 80 baht a month for 12 months = a beer a month which we don't think is extortion or over priced.
Thanks everyone for your understanding.

Desmocrat

Subscribed
Mar 1, 2021
Meuang Loei
I get a "Forbidden - 403" message. Please PM me the info for me to make a transfer from my Bank of Bangkok account (you might still have my info from map purchases). Thanks.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
If you've recently tried to renew your GTR sub, there's a new issue with Paypal hindering the process, that we are trying to solve.
We apologize for the inconvenience and are onto it.
In the meantime you may PM & I will manually renew your status if you have been caught out.