DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=127255

Police to be tougher on motorcyclists

(BangkokPost.com) –The police have renewed efforts to get tough on motorcycles and passengers riding pillion who fail to wear safety helmets.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau said motorcyclists who fail to abide by safety regulations will immediately face a 500 baht fine. The fine will be doubled if passengers riding pillion are not wearing a helmet. Police warned the helmet must also be up to internationally accepted standard.

They’re also keeping a close eye on motorcyclists who fail to respect traffic regulations especially those who make a habit out of riding against the traffic flow.

A motorcyclist with more than one passenger riding pillion will have to answer to the police as will those who fail to stop at marked areas at traffic lights.

Oct 17, 2006
Maybe it will be another 24 hour initiative that is only rolled out in Bangkok ,Pattaya and Phuket and then rots on the vine.

Nov 14, 2006
Agreed, this is probably just another "crackdown" that will fade away in a few weeks. I bet the folks out in the provinces and islands wont even notice this thing.
How could the Thai's afford helmets that are up to international standards anyway?
Tom

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
Davidfl wrote: .....The Metropolitan Police Bureau said motorcyclists who fail to abide by safety regulations will immediately face a 500 baht fine. The fine will be doubled if passengers riding pillion are not wearing a helmet. Police warned the helmet must also be up to internationally accepted standard.
Ah, such a potential enormous revenue stream for the police...IF it were ever to actually be enforced [very doubtful!].

At 500-Bt for the driver and 1000-Bt for a pillion, sans helmet, imagine what the fine would be for the moto carrying a family of five, plus the family dog in the front basket :shock:

I imagine many of the local [Pattaya] Harley owners should be concerned if helmets must meet Intern'l standards. Many of them seem to be wearing black plastic 'tupperware' bowls, with chin straps. :lol:

What has always bothered me the most is seeing the very vulnerable ...babies and small children carried on motos without any form of protection.

Dec 5, 2006
Well its not this board at all about Harley Bashing..
They just seem to be different riders.
I went for a ride in the weekend and meet up with a Harley rider..
nice bike says me..
yeah..its big..and powerfull..and iam a big guy.....
not really what i wanted to hear...wonder if he had as much fun as me .riding up dirt roads and through a few rivers..
Yeah those riders are different allright.......
well what ever rocks your boat ...i suppose.....

No 1 rule of motorcyling....get off after you stop......not before

Feb 5, 2007
Monsterman - first impressions usually are true, and your constant Harley bashing only confirms my judgement of your character

Hoghead - (wearing full face Arai)

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
You are Dead Right Hog Head :!: I will have to Apologize for the Masses on their Behalf :!: Some of the Nicest Guys i have Meet are Harley Riders so lets Keep it down Guys. Possibly the Motive Could be that Harley Riders Get all the Attention and Not everyone can Afford one :wink: Each to their Own and Lets all Ride Together :idea: Just Like we all Drink Together 8)

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
That's right guys - I don't care what you ride, just so long as you do ride & don't slag everyone else off.
The GT Rider forum is a rider's forum, regardless of steed - big / small / sport / chopper / cruiser / dirt-off-road / dual purpose.
So please stick to riding & contributing road 'n trip 'n bike reports, & leave your personal dislikes to yourself.

Nov 16, 2007
Ian Bungy wrote: You are Dead Right Hog Head :!: I will have to Apologize for the Masses on their Behalf :!: Some of the Nicest Guys i have Meet are Harley Riders so lets Keep it down Guys. Possibly the Motive Could be that Harley Riders Get all the Attention and Not everyone can Afford one :wink: Each to their Own and Lets all Ride Together :idea: Just Like we all Drink Together 8)
I'll drink to that and even buy the first 100 Pipers.

Feb 5, 2007
Lets have all this drinking at a Pub Night in benefit of the Childrens ToyRide
Tuskers in CM

Anyone on?

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
Sounds like a good idea. See you there once I find my tuppereware helmet for ridng the Ducati through the police roadblocks

Jun 21, 2006
[quote quote=Davidfl]That's right guys - I don't care what you ride, just so long as you do ride
The GT Rider forum is a rider's forum, regardless of steed - big / small / sport / chopper / cruiser / dirt-off-road / dual purpose.
So please stick to riding & contributing road 'n trip 'n bike reports, quote]

Well here I am at Chumpon Bike Week, my name top of registration list, Number 1.

So I rode up on my trusty Honda Wave, and have paked along side harleys, and superbikes. Very well organised, the president of Chumpon Superbikers is greeting all, and they have numerous staff representing the local hotels.

I saw a female back packer standing in the road, and she showed me wher she is staying, 150 baht a nite, share hot shower, (hopefully with her...) and FREE INTERNET.

Have big ride tomorrow, so hopefully I will be able to keep up

Trip report come later, function doesnt start till 5pm today