News on BMW F800GS - 4 Varients

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
More news on the F800GS is emerging.
Before Erwin was recalled home from the Thai front he said he had seen the GS when he was back in Germany on leave at the beginning of the year.

Barcelona here in BKK are still in the dark; but this was posted on ADV Rider, purportedly sourced from within the company.

It appears credible to me - though I would be surprised if they launched all models at the same time.
Check out the F800GSPD [No.4] - very tasty.

1.) The basic 800GS:
Very closely related to the current 650GS by way of suspension travel and range per tank. (~200miles).
The 90/10 ratio applies...Much better suited for the packed stuff out of the box, but handles the pavement like its big brother the 1200, solid...This version will go down in history as a great wannabe rally god looking bike -in commuter covering. Due in part to it’s having a seat that is actually designed by someone who cares about everyone's bottom end, yes gone will be the need to ply the “jewels” from the Faux tank!! Fuel consumption is down a little from the 650 to average out to ~58 MPG...better or worse dependent upon the user! BHP is around 72. Elec power output is up, never an issue running heated clothing, GPS, and add on lights. etc...
Stripped this would fall in the $8800.00 range.
Option package (heated grips/ABS/power outlet/center stand) $9300.00
Many colors available. More Hi Visibility colors come into use.

2.) The 800GS Dakar:
Adds another 2” of suspension and another 1.5 gal of fuel. Yes, a little more fuel...
Gone are the days of waving flags spewed across the tank...Some other conservative scheme is applied to ID the Dakar version other than by its height. Standard is a real Dakar windscreen, paw protectors, better pegs and engine guards...~$9500.00. Optioned out as mentioned above, add another $500. A cool $10,000.00 will get you a set of keys. One color scheme only.

3.) The HP800GS:
An all out monster. Lightened by bits and pieces that are forged. Compression is up, power output is up to 80 BHP and gearing is matched for the apparent usage. Suspension is better than the G650, -much better. Fully adjustable in every sense. No extras. No options. A true Enduro/ almost MX bike that will go anywhere at great velocities. Has the smaller fuel tank of the standard GS (for weight reduction). Paw protection, pegs, bar, risers, tires, chain guard...All the goodies you’d want for off road performance and thats all you’ll find on this version.
Knowing “someone” will complain about the range, getting the larger tank is something that must be done on ones own. You’ll need to order the Dakar tank and seat combo, and install yourself.
NOTE: The HP version seat will be designed by someone who stands on the pegs 90% of the time and could care less about a comfortable seat...You’ve been warned.
The suspension upgrade on this model alone drives the price up $2000.00. So no, you will not need to go and get a “better aftermarket suspension later”...This set up is awesome and can be sent back for rebuilds ----done (at) any BMW dealership around the world.
Add the “less costs more” theory- (for reference search LTW M3 to see the differences less makes in $$) and you will shell out in the neighborhood of $14500.00...
The Dakar tank and seat combo (if ordered with the bike) will run ~$750.00. Ordered separately, expect to pay almost $1100.00

4.) The Limited Edition. 800GSPD:

Paint scheme matched to the original 80 GSPD.
Huge tank. Yes a huge tank capable of letting you run well over 300 miles between gas and pee breaks.
Suspension of the Dakar model, but has more adjustability. Some bits and pieces of the HP show up on this model, helping to keep the weight down and performance up.
Elec power can run a set of lights so hot they’ll melt the corneas out of passing motorists at 50 yards. Plus handle anything you plug in, be it jump starting stranded 18 wheelers and RVs - and what not...
Lower compression ratio so as to have the ability to run ANY nasty fuel you happen to find and it still runs great. Gearing is suited more for a 50/50 planned usage. Tubeless wire tires...with a 21” on the front. .
All options of the Dakar plus center stand, heated grips, and a very easy to get to (but not accidentally) ON/OFF ABS switch. Plus this model comes standard with HID. Price is the SAME as the HP, $14,500.00

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Hi Rhodie,
Any Photo's avalible? This would be a Great Bike for Touring. 650 is to small and the 1200 to Big so in between is Perfect! When is the Expected Release? The Dakar at $10.000 would be Fine but can you imagine their Cost Here??? I was at BMW the other Day and they Have a New GS650 in Black for 530.000 Baht. The X-Challenge is the one better suited for here but on their Web Site it is 605.000 Baht. None in the Shop. Still all of them are Very Pricey!!!
Cheers Ian.

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
hi

Did You also hear that BMW bought last week the Husqvarna factory from the MV-Agusta Group (Castignollio brothers) They will move the production of the 650 models from Aprilia Factory to the Husqvarna factory and BMW:s new 450 engine will be fitted into the Husqvarna models. For your information the Husqvarna (originally a Swedish brand) is one of the oldest motorcycle manufacturers in the world (over 100 years in business)and one of the most victorious Off Road machines in the world. It was sold by Swedish Electrolux to the Cagiva Group about 20 years ago.

HIKO

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Hiko
It appears there is renewed vitality returning to the BMW motorcycle division and that they have finally woken up to the KTM challenge!

I understand that the contract to produce the F650 expires in October.
having acquired Husqvarna it makes sense to have their smaller & more radically focussed bikes produced under the same roof.

Re pix for F800GS varients - nothing yet.
But expect launch at Paris/EICMA Milan/NEC shows in the autumn.
In the meantime you may want to check this thread for impressions
http://f800riders.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2084
Most of them base their impressions on merging a 650GS with a 1200GS but using a F800 engine.

Launch Dates, Suitability & Cost

US expect availability early '08. Thailand???

I agree that a F800GS could perhaps be an ideal adventure enduro tourer. The 12 is a bus to manoeuvre around corners and barge negotiating off-road.

I don't think we are going to see any deals from BMW Thailand though - unless the "Big Four" truly start competing with big bike sales.
Mind you they are cutting purchase costs for their cars in China at present.
See
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20050 ... 70527.html
&
http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.as ... c=business

Sep 19, 2006
Great Stuff Hiko keep us informed if you hear of any New developments. We may start getting some Real Bikes on the Market in the Future. Have you seen the Aprilia 650 off road Bike? Another great Bike and Gypsy rider informs me it uses the same Engine as the Yamaha XT660R. Can't wait till any of these new Bikes arrive here if we are lucky!!!
Cheers Ian.

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
The XT660 engine is made in Spain (and maybe also in Italy) and sold to many different manufacturers. Already 10 years ago MZ or later MUZ used the same engine. The spanish Yamaha factory is an old Spanish 4 stroke factory (forget the name) which Yamaha bought 320 years ago.

HIKO

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
WOW - so much info!
So soon I can buy a 450 BMW Saturno made in Sweden in a factory that was sold to Castaneda or Castiglioni or something Italian a long time ago - - - with a Yamaha engine made in Spain or was it a Rotax made in Austria? Quite confusing, everything going global these days. . .

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
The first picture of the F800GS has emerged:
216253623-M.jpg

Due to be officially launched at the Milan show next week.
It was shown privately to dealers at the Paris show a week or so ago.
No news on the various variants yet - see previous post where the was talk of 4 different 800 versions.
Specs for the std F800GS are 85 hp, 86 Nm, appr. 200 kg.
The new F650GS will be a sleeved down version of the F800GS engine.

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
An alternative?
The Ducati Terra Mostro

There's an outfit in California who have started a company adapting Monster 695s
http://www.terramostro.com/

216256881-M.jpg

Not cheap at $16500++ [dependent upon what you want on it].
This is the US price - bringing one in just does not bare thinking of.
Unless Azoulay can arrange it!

Otherwise how about a Snail Special?

Jan 19, 2007
I would like to see Triumph start doing something similar to their Daytona 675 , it would be fun don't you think

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
More interesting pictures of the F800GS
It is not clear if this is a different variant to the rather dull
grey one in previous post.
In the first post there was talk of 4 variations on the GS theme.
This one does appear more purposeful.

216414351-M.jpg

I'm not too sure on the strength of those Beamer boxes in a spill.

216414446-M.jpg

216414530-M.jpg

216414482-M.jpg

216414593-M.jpg

Instrumentation looks well laid out & with clarity for once.

216414603-M.jpg

Sep 19, 2006
Hell i think the Gray one Looks Great Rhodie!!! Beautiful Bikes much more compact looking that the 1200 and Power to Weight probably not to different? Would love one when they finally arrive here?
Cheers Ian.

Sep 19, 2006
quote:

Originally posted by Yut_Britbike

I would like to see Triumph start doing something similar to their Daytona 675 , it would be fun don't you think

You are right there Yut it would be a Fun Rocket!!! These are the best kind of Bikes for the Roads and Areas up here.
Cheers Ian.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Rhodie,

Coming back to the price issue, something I can do for you is to advise it to order it in US and to pay it with your valuable Euros 1 for 1,45 USD and maybe next 1 for 1,50... Good deal for the lucky ones who have Euros !