Norway, West Coast Stavanger area Loop trip report

bard

Oct 2, 2008
As many of my friends know I moved back to Europe after several years in Thailand, it is impossible to stop biking so I founds some nice loops in the nearby area from where I now live.

I wanted to share one of my loops I can take from my house, the whole loop is about 150 km from house to house, very nice and very much worth it.

2wowsqr.jpg

The view today from my balcony, let’s go… whohoooo…

2lk7ith.gif

The start of the good stuff, from here riding is awesome…

69hqgn.gif

After a good bit of hilly stuff this valley is a pretty place to rip before you hit the hills again.

2zp038w.gif

This is a beautiful view from the road, absolutely great place to stop and take a picture.

2wpp9oi.gif

Here is another view from the same point of the road, if you are afraid of height don’t ride here…

16lidxg.jpg

Here is a great pitstop ½ way through the loop, very nice pastry, yummy.

rhjuwz.jpg

Another nice view of road behind me.

29p7nkx.jpg

Another view of yet another valley to ride.

vgk5r7.jpg

Looking back from the same spot as above.

72zrch.gif

Further down the valley, still a nice view.

20rwn03.jpg

Just for fun, old horses meet modern horse…

Cheers Bard

bard

Oct 2, 2008
The season really for most bikers is May to October, some nutters ride all year (they use winter tires). Like me Season start in March and ends in November. In the area I live (South West Coast) you are ice free most of the winter, you will have risk of frost and ice November to February so only total hardcore bikers ride then with winter spiked tires.

For bikers you really love the roads here, it is just amazing roads and views right outside the cities. I would never think I would ever say this, but I really prefer the cooler temperature while riding a bike. You use really nice Goretex space age insulated stuff and you are really comfortably warm in a t-shirt under. Should you get a little warm, just open a vent and voila you have a perfect temperature. Riding with Goretex is amazing, comfortable, and if there is rain just ride, you stay perfectly dry. When I left Europe last time the rider gear was not really up for the job keeping you warm, and definitely not to keep you dry so there has been a fantastic development with this.

Right now I can see myself staying here for a long time, we are planning a trip to Thailand in January though so I'll be around every ow and again. Also I still keep my house, so one day I can see myself return again. The bonus up here is the money, I don't make the North American pesos (US$) here, money and work is very good.

bard

Oct 2, 2008
Hey guys and thanks.

Hilltribes, believe it or not we do have hilltribes in Norway they're called Sami people. They are originally a nomad people who lives in Lavo tents and breed reindeer. However you will only find the ones who still stay in the traditional ways up in Northern Norway, the ones around were we live have normal lives just like anyone else.