Not sure about ridin in this area Suranthani

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Ray,

Looks like nice place and Surathani is not that south, nice "booring" ride from HH to Surat on HW 4 & (41 is ok)

Oct 17, 2006
This will be only boring if you go down on the highway.
Take your GPS with ESRI card.
Select these tiny ways along the coast. Go towards the Burmese border
Just scroll the screen so you dont end up in a dead end.
Make it a 2 day trip, no trucks, no traffic, sometimes GPS surprises,, everywhere along accommodations .

Beautiful scenery, different types of plantations.

Pico

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
ray23 wrote: I think I will make that one my long one next year.
Ray,

I rode a bicycle from Hua Hin to Surat. There were a couple of bits North of Chumpon where you had to go on HWY4, 'cause the roads to the coast didn't continue on, and you can only do 100km in a day on a bicycle.

Other than HWY4, the area is terrific... really nice roads, twisting through nice green coconut palms and rubber plantations... more up and down than Issan, but not the mountains that make the North so much fun...

I think it is a really nice area... give it a go...

www.darryleaston.crazyguyonabike.com - A novice tourers' ride down the Gulf of Thailand

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
daewoo wrote: [quote quote=ray23]I think I will make that one my long one next year.
Ray,

I rode a bicycle from Hua Hin to Surat. There were a couple of bits North of Chumpon where you had to go on HWY4, 'cause the roads to the coast didn't continue on, and you can only do 100km in a day on a bicycle.

Other than HWY4, the area is terrific... really nice roads, twisting through nice green coconut palms and rubber plantations... more up and down than Issan, but not the mountains that make the North so much fun...

I think it is a really nice area... give it a go...

www.darryleaston.crazyguyonabike.com - A novice tourers' ride down the Gulf of Thailand

Daewoo

Nice report you have in your blog,, you actually doing "Manual" touring around,, good on you and your riding buddy, nice pictures as well.

when we where in MHS look on Dec twe met also 2 guy in bicyckles who did MHS loop by "Manual" that must be hard with all up's and downs.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Marco wrote:
Nice report you have in your blog,, you actually doing "Manual" touring around,, good on you and your riding buddy, nice pictures as well.

when we where in MHS look on Dec twe met also 2 guy in bicyckles who did MHS loop by "Manual" that must be hard with all up's and downs.
I really enjoyed cycle touring... but unfortunately, I ain't as young as I used to be... hence motorbikes...

It is nice to be so close to people and going at such a slow pace to really see everything... the flip side is that you can only make 100km/day, so you see a lot of a little bit, rather than a little bit of a lot...

It was certainly one of the best trips I have made...

I considered riding in the mountainous North for about 5 seconds before I realised I would take more than I have to give...

Now I will continue riding motorbikes, but would like to go over the area south from Hua Hin again... and particularly have another crack at Papa2000 disco... the best nightclub in the world :) ...

Cheers,
Daewoo

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Actually my concern was about Security in the area, never been that far south. The furthest I have gone is Hua Hin

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
ray23 wrote: Actually my concern was about Security in the area, never been that far south. The furthest I have gone is Hua Hin

Ray

Nothing to worry abt south,, you can go as far as Phuket and bit future and no worries at all,, even the guys intouring to Malaysia,, one always find it safe,, maybe if you are worried then places like Yala, or that region might be off from your list but all the way to Phuket and there, Nothing to worry abt

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Thanks Marco aw the north this year, south next year slow easy trip.

I think I will stop in Cha Am this time.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
There are only 3 provinces in the very far south that are an issue... Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat... other than that, just usual issues of cars, trucks, bikes, and buses :) (and Ghosts if you are really Thai) ...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Jul 18, 2007
In December I did almost 3000 km on a full solo down that way. Went from BKK to Hua Hin, HH to Hat Sai Ri in Chumpon, then right along the coastal roads to Songkhla, then Songkhla through the hills to Satun then up through Phangga and Trang to Ao Nang, then from Ao Nang across the hills through Phato to Prachuap, then back to BKK. Six days, five nights, spectacular trip, would not hesitate to do it again. As was pointed out elswhere, it is the three other changwats that are the highest risk, though there has been activity in Hat Yai.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Ed sent me an e-mail on how to get sround Bangkok instead of through it.

So I'm planning this one for my long trip next year. Probsbly take a couple of weeks and really look around like the Mae Hong Son ride

Oct 1, 2005
I am heading south tomorrow..... A couple of nights in Phetcheburi and then onto Nakhon Si Thammerat etc....... Any tips on good beach kind of places to stop for a day?..... I could always get the ferry to Samui and do that..... But it makes me want to vomit.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Looking forward to that trip report that should be a good one.

Maybe we can do my Surin tour whilre your in the area.

Sorry I haven't made the trip south yet so no idea. Sea sick on a bike that would a good trip report too :wink:

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Since yuo guys are going to be in that direction anyway:

Just saw these events in the area.

Samui Pirates Charity Ride : February 22, 2009
Venue : Na Thon Pier, Koh Samui
Details : RED CROSS CHARITY RIDE and OHM Cycles

ASEAN Family Rally : March 1 - 2, 2009
Venue : Hatyai Municipal Park

Khaolak Bike Week : March 13 - 14, 2009

Phattalung Bike Week : March 21, 2009
Venue : Lampam, Pattalung

Jul 18, 2007
danwhite wrote: I am heading south tomorrow..... A couple of nights in Phetcheburi and then onto Nakhon Si Thammerat etc....... Any tips on good beach kind of places to stop for a day?..... I could always get the ferry to Samui and do that..... But it makes me want to vomit.
1. I like Prachuap Khiri Khan a lot - there are many reasonable hotels scattered all along the sea wall, and if you go around the coast a bit to the north there are some nice beaches and guest houses.

2. East from Chumphon will take you to a beach called Hat Sai Ri - a number of quiet little guesthouses, and it looks like you can get boats out to some very pretty looking beaches on nearby islands. All of these beaches are very shallow, like at Hua Hin - goes with the territory.

3. Once you get to Nakhon Si Thammarat, head east toward Pak Phanang - this will connect you with a road (408, I think) that runs all the way to Songkhla, which is a wonderful little University city. The drive down is interesting, but the beaches and settlements all seemed to me to be somewhat grubby looking.

Also keep in mind that it may still be the rainy season down there - I got soaked every day in December.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Good information anyone know when their rainey season stops I may planning this wrong.

Oct 1, 2005
Great info.... Thanks for that.

I remember being in the south for Christmas 2 years ago... I never encountered rain like it. It was sort of like a caricature of a tropical downpour. If I hadn't been on a bike it would have been impressive. These days I put computer etc in a dry bag......

I checked www.weatherunderground.com for the 5 day forcast and it looks not too bad.

Looking forward to a potter around Prachuap Khirikan. I have spent time there but not explored.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Going to the islands of Ko Tao, Samui and Pha Ngan may sound nice, but during high season it can be a pain - full bungalows, high prices, salespeople bothering you already on the ferry over, the whole place in a hype, people being more pushy than friendly. Well, this is the time to make money, can't blame them! If you don't mind a little hectic, the beaches of course are perfect.
But, if you prefer to relax, meet some cool people who have been coming here for years, don't mind a mediocre beach and water quality, then pay a visit to Bang Saphan (Yai), appr. 100km south of Prachuap Kiri Khan. I've lived there for seven years so I know what I'm talking about. Simple bungalows for 300 THB, directly on the beach, everything and everybody is really laid back. Folks from all over kick back back in their hammocks or hang out at Montri's CoCoBar, a small wooden hut, "sometimes the best bar in the world". There's even a french run hotel with swimming pool if you want to spend some money and park your bike in a safe spot. ( www.coral-hotel.com/indexgb.htm ) But the popular places are "Lola's" and Wharee Bungalows.
Take the Bang Saphan exit, it's about ten km to town, over the railroad tracks, at the only traffic light turn right, go another 5 km and take a left to the beach. Can't miss it!

MontrisCoCoBarIjp.jpg

bungalowatWhareejp.jpg

Oct 1, 2005
Hi Colin

I am here in Petchaburi now. Just arrived. I will be here at least two days..... Maybe three. It depends on how quick I get the work done. May well be here on the 6th. I tend to be in that little restaurant of an evening.... by the river attached to the guest house...... Rabieng or something...... Its a mozzie fest.... Worse than bloody Samet.

Will then be heading further south.... Slowly or fast depending on work.

Let me know your progress.

Very best

Dan

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
KZ wrote:
But, if you prefer to relax, meet some cool people who have been coming here for years, don't mind a mediocre beach and water quality, then pay a visit to Bang Saphan (Yai), appr. 100km south of Prachuap Kiri Khan.
KZ...

I was through that way in 2003... We stayed at Lang Suan resort, which I thought was in Bang Sapan Noi, but your picture of the bar looks familiar, and like the one near the water a couple of hundred meters from where I stayed...

Have a look at the relevant pages on my cycling blog [email [email protected]][email protected][/email] for pics and more detail...

I agree with you about that area... From Hua Hin to Prachuap was still very busy... but once we left Prachuap heading south it is really very scenic and rural...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Oct 1, 2005
Hi Colin

I will ping you over the number on the messaging. My stuff is going well so may be heading south tomorrow or the morning of the 6th..... Its all the same route. If we don't coincide in Petchaburi, then maybe a little further south. The Rabieng is where I am drinking now. I am 30 seconds away over the bridge. I couldn't see bike parking here..... But then I am often famed as a f***wit.... So it might be out the back somewhere...... The mozzies are fearsome..... Its an all wood gaff....

All the best

Dan