Offroad Trails/Dirt out of Bangkok

Sep 16, 2009
Is anyone familiar with any decent off road trails or dirt tracks that can be ridden on a day ride out of Bangkok? Or could anyone suggest where I might look for more information about that?

Perhaps there just isn't really anything on offer for a day trip. Maybe Chonburi?

Seems like overnight trips could get you out past Kanchanaburi for some decent riding, or out and around Khao Yai... Any info of off roading at those places?

Thanks for your help!!

Mike

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
Hi there mikehohman

Good luck with the KLX if you purchase one.
Ive done 30,000kms on mine and had no problems.
As for dirt tracks around BKK, like most here, I wouldn't have a clue sorry, but maybe mark rossi can help you with some suggestions.

Im sure there would be some good riding around Kanchanaburi, maybe you mite have to simply go down there, and go up a dirt track when you see one, and see were it takes you.
That's what a lot of guys do up here. I've found some amazing tracks around Chiang Mai, and in Laos, doing just that. :D

Cheers Moto-Rex

Sep 16, 2009
Thanks Moto, i really appreciate the help! I think you might be right, that i will need to explore and discover my own tracks, which is definitely part of the fun. Just kinda want reassurance there that my chances of finding some good tracks in not "nil"... :D

Kanchanaburi and Khao Yai i guess, and maybe out by Ratburi. Petchabun too, but that would be a lot more like "on the way" to Laos/CM kinda trip...

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Issue has allways been to "escape" from Bangkok but after that Khao Yai could be a nice destination for off-road riding as well as around Hua Hin, along the Myanmar border, that's wonderfull landscape to explore....

Sep 16, 2009
Exactly! I totally want to escape Bangkok. It's just that I have to work here, Monday thru Friday. So looking for day trips, overnights okay too. Hua Hin is a good suggestion too! I guess if you get out early enough, you could be west of Hua Hin before lunch...

Thanks for the tips,

Mike

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Mike,

When I say "escape" from Bangkok, it has to be taken "literrally" as escaping with a bike from Bangkok to anywhere is really my problem with all these b... driving rules in LOL (no highway, no bridges, no, no, no...!!!).

You could imagine that mint condition big bikes in become crazy with it, thus as per explained in few previous I, finally, intend to buy a long pickup (short cabin + 260 cm back load) in order to place the bike (s) on it and to drive out of Bangkok.

Here is some pictures of the wonderfull Cha Am neighbourhood...A lovely place.

P1000300.jpg

P1000299.jpg

P1000303.jpg

I know many will laugh, but having my main base in Ladkrabang BKK, it's allways very difficult for me to reach the other side of the Chaopraya to drive down to Cha Am/Hua Hin vwhere we have our residence...

Once it tooke me 6 hourts to return from Cha Am to Rom Klao Road....

In town, the lastest GPS is completly useless as giving a forbidden car itinary...It could be usefull only if use to track back your ride.

Anyway, that's life !

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
[quote quote=Azoulay]In town, the lastest GPS is completly useless as giving a forbidden car itinary...It could be usefull only if use to track back your ride.
Azoulay
In you GPS, you should able to turn off tollways, i have riding in that way in bkk and it workd all the time, probelm will come with temp one ways what have been changed lately or temporally.

For me GPS is ideal to ride through BKK, im using Zumo 550 V9 Map.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Marco,

Thanks for your answer, in fact as you could see on the picture of the bike, I also have a Zumo 550, loaded with Garmin ESRI Thailand TSM 9.0, and know how to use it (as selecting option no highway, etc...). But despites this, I have enormous difficulties to move from Bangkok.

IMG00006-20090624-1726.jpg

For me, exiting Bangkok is a nightmare, I will solve through a long pickup buying as mine (you can seepart of it on the picture) a Toyota Tiger 4WD 3.0 l. is too short for the bikes...

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Azoulay wrote: Hi Marco,

Thanks for your answer, in fact as you could see on the picture of the bike, I also have a Zumo 550, loaded with Garmin ESRI Thailand TSM 9.0, . But despites this, I have enormous difficulties to move from Bangkok.

For me, exiting Bangkok is a nightmare, I will solve through a long pickup buying as mine (you can seepart of it on the picture) a Toyota Tiger 4WD 3.0 l. is too short for the bikes...
Azoulay

the picture is so small that i hardly can see your small bike so i have no idea what was the GPS there...LOL
:wink:

Any how, hat is part of the live in bkk or passing BKK, every one knows is, it's not gonna be easy never unless doing it between 1am to 5am, then it's quiet.

you are lucky man to have extra 300.000(2nd hand car) to spend just for a short transportation for your bike.

When i do passing Bkk,, i usually change a little lighter jacket and fill up up 5L water in top box, in the traffic lights one has enough time to drink...

longest passing bkk has been 2hrs for me, as i use small roads with gps, journey getting interesting when you are doing really small roads and have no idea where you are.
it's longer Km's but at least i can ride all the time with occasional trafficl light stops, I also set my GPS for Bicycle, so i can take small back side roads.

Sep 22, 2008
Azoulay wrote: Hi Marco,

Thanks for your answer, in fact as you could see on the picture of the bike, I also have a Zumo 550, loaded with Garmin ESRI Thailand TSM 9.0, and know how to use it (as selecting option no highway, etc...). But despites this, I have enormous difficulties to move from Bangkok.

Hi Azoulay. will your bike fit in the Tiger with the tailgate down. If so i have seen these on Ebay. And i'm currently talking to a local guy to make them in steel (cheaper but heavier). I'm also going to see if he can do the locking wheel chocks as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMPACT- ... ccessories

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi ThaiCBR, Hi Marco, Hi Friends,

Thanks for your post, in fact I knew about this way of extending the bed.
I discussed it already with Thai Brown Shirts but 5 of them in different places and all, good will oriented, told me that this is forbidden in Thailand and specially on the highway.

This would have been the cheapest solution, light and convenient, for sure it can be reproduced in Thailand by a good ironman...but

In fact, it would be logical to do so and a light economical way, however I dont want hassle in LOS in order this country keeps its good image in my heart. More you avoid trouble, less you find it...

On an other hand, for Marco, please note that you can find very good condition second hand long bed two wheel drive pick up for less than 150.000 TBH, which is quite afordable to avoid trouble.

I already consider a trailor (a lot of constraints, even with driving rules), a van (too big)....

Anyway, I did not check yet the bicycle itinary mode on the Garmin, this will be for my next trip for X'Mas

Sep 22, 2008
Mate. It's not forbidden.
BUT you do need to show a red flag with your number written on it (easy to integrate with the design). If you want to drive on the express way you also need to use side bars (you can get away with the rollbar if it extends back) and cover your load. I normally forget to cover the bike and get fined for that. But that's just me being lazy. I'm going to get a light weight cover made to make it easier.
I will go down to the transport office next week and see if i can get the law confirmed.
Allan

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Allan,

Thanks for your comments, if you can get the law confirmation and better the Thai written document, this would be idle.

I knew about the obligation to cover the load, not about isdebars (in fact I don't catch exactly what you meant by sidebars) but I expect it could be easy to realise.

In US, some makkers of such bed extension even propose a light kit with position lamps, turn lamps, plate lamps and stop lamps...

You contribution would be highly appreciated.

Sep 22, 2008
Side bars = the chrome rails you see on the pickup bed of delivery trucks.
BUT i have been told a rollbar will suffice as long as the support arms come back about half way down the bed. (this is only for expressway)
The ramp/rear extender i have in mind will have the red number plate and brake / indicator lights at each corner.

you see big trucks all the time with the bed extended, especially the trucks that carry chickens.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi ThaiCBr,

Thanks for your explanation, crystal clear i know what you mean now.

However, I wait you could have a black on white confirmation as I fear this way of bed extension is only valid for Thai citizen when they would be arrested by the Authorities, will discuss and explain..and talk and arrange.

In fact, not being Thai (even with 3 thai children and a Thai wife) I much prefer to be completly legal in a country which is not mine and that I respect a lot, avoiding trouble.

Will you have confirmation ?

Dec 27, 2007
Hi All!

I just threw some Pirelli Corsa MT60RS Dual Sports on my ER6n and am also interested in finding some fun dirt roads around Bangers. Bard already sniffed out some fun looking dirt in Rayong

0922PirelliMT60RS.jpg

0922PirelliMT60ER6FrtSm.jpg

0922PirelliMT60ER6BkSm.jpg

These are gonna be wicked fun on dirt! ;D

Ride On!

Tony