Openstreetmap (osm) Tag Specific Searches.

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
Overpass Turbo

This is overpass turbo, a web-based data filtering tool for OpenStreetMap.
With overpass turbo you can run Overpass API queries and analyse the resulting OSM data interactively on a map. There is an integrated Wizard which makes creating queries super easy.
More information about overpass turbo and how to write Overpass queries can be found in the OSM wiki.

Copied from their web page help tab.

I will with some screenshots try to explain a few elementary functions.
- All results from a query can be exported and imported to your GPS or map software.
- All query you make can be saved for later use.
- All queries will return result from the visible part of the map only. Zoom in or out.
- No GPS unit will let you search tag specific nodes.
For tag info go to OpenStreetMap Wiki

Over-pass Turbo 1.png

Here I searched the Tag: motorcycle_friendly=yes. The query returned 25 nodes. (lower right corner)
Not many as this tag just became available.

Over-pass Turbo 2.png

Here I have added ‘OR proprietor:motorcyclist=yes’
This tag, proprietor:motorcyclist=yes, is an interesting one. The proprietor will most likely know the local roads and things to se. And it is always nice to have a chat with a fellow rider. I have added 3 tags with the proprietos consent. Might be wise to ask first..

Over-pass Turbo 3.png

The results can be exported in different formats. If you want to copy the result to your Garmin, download as GPX.

Over-pass Turbo 4.png
Info about some of the tags. OpenStreetMap Wiki

Over-pass Turbo 5.png
Shop=motorcycle tag. The more info the mapper add the easier it is to find specific shops.

Over-pass Turbo 6.png

The search query shop=motorcycle for this zoom level returns 140 nodes with the tag shop=motorcycle. What if I wanted a tyre shop?

Over-pass Turbo 7.png

The search query for the tag motorcycle:tyres=yes will reveal that.
Just 2 nodes on this zoom level. So please start mapping.

Over-pass Turbo 8.png

Tags can be long and query can be difficult to write, so save them for later use.

With more motorcycle riding ’OSM mappers’ we can fill up this basically empty motorcycle_friendly tag for Thailand.
OSM mapping is easy and can be done with several different apps. OSMAND+ is just one of them.
If you stay at a hotel with roofed parking right outside your room, tag it as motorcycle_friendly=yes. Takes you under a minute to do.
What is a motorcycle_friendly=yes, well that’s another topic.

Why the world needs OpenStreetMap

Happy mapping.

Last edited: