Phonsavan to Tha Vieng to Tha Thom

Discussion in 'Laos Road Trip Reports' started by mactbkk, Mar 22, 2009.

1. mactbkk

mactbkk Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Following from a Lao friend up in Phonsavan regarding the road conditions:

due to on-going road construction,
    the road is open from:

5 to 7 AM
    12 to 1 PM
    after 5 PM
    xxxxxxxxx

We came down this road in early December 2008 and did run into several not too lengthly delays because of the new construction. BTW, a Vietnamese company has the contract for this job.

Had planned to visit Tha Thom in early April but now may give it a miss.

Mac

2. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Boy that sounds like fun. Is there that many paved roads yuo can travel on with a street bike?

3. mactbkk

mactbkk Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ray23

Nothing much at all paved shortly after you pass through Muang Khoune on towards Tha Vieng. Hard packed dirt and gravel, then might well hit the construction areas, I don't know how far they've progressed.

If you plan to go all the way south to Paksan, reckon a street bike, if you're meaning a 150 cc type, might have troubles, especially if there's rains. FYI, we were in a 4WD pickup (with apologies, again, to the forum, great information and fun reading, I'm just a coward!).

If you plan on returning back to Phonsavan and get delayed, there is a guest house at Tha Vieng, and another at Tha Thom. Both a bit rustic I'm told.

Mac

4. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds likew mihgt be better to rent one of the dirt bikes, no the street bike is a Dragstar :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. Auke

Auke Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The construction may take some time. In Muang Khoune at the start of the the road there is a sign which indicates that 70 km. road will be upgraded with a starting date of October 2008 and completion date of October 2012

6. jimoi

jimoi Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I rode thru here a few weeks ago. The joy of a dirtbike is you can get around the bamboo security poles with a few words in Vietnamese and while keeping an eye where the diggers are - power past. The danger is pretty high doing this but you can also sit for 2 hours in the sun and wait.

Locals are doing it on step thru bikes. The guesthouses in Thathom and Tha Vieng are not so bad.

Give me a ring Ray, I'll hook you up with wheels.

7. ray23

ray23 Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yuo would need an ambulance available as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. cdrw

cdrw Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pakkan to Thathom:

At one point the road is very muddy from water draining down the side of a mountain.
    Shortly after that there is an area where the road goes down. At that point the hardpack
    road surface is covered with fine powder...and it is very slippery. Hence, I crashed!
    Quite passable for trucks; okay for road bikes but very dicey for a street bike!
    Mud.

Few river crossing...all easily passible in the dry season, even with a street bike.
    Riverx-ing.

Other than the above, the dirt roads are fine for a street bike
    goodroads.

The only GH I saw in Thathom, but surely other accomodations can be arranged.
    GHThathom.

The Thatom GH had electricity fittings in my room, but they were turned off.
    I was provided with 2 small candles (look on table). At 160-Bt/night I felt ripped off;
    maybe electricity was available for an extra fee ;-)
    GHcandles.

Dirt roads from Thathom to Mouang Khoune were not a problem. (Feb 2007)