Rack for the ER6/Ninjas?

Apr 27, 2010
Hello folks,

I've seen some of the ER6 Kawasakis in the rental places fitted with racks in the back, some stainless steel, some aluminium.
Would anyone of you know how makes/sell them in Chiang Mai?

Jul 6, 2004
Give 'long' at AV Fabrications. 053202269-70.
He does a lot of stainless/aluminium work on bikes, including racks for the ER6N.
His workshop is over near the Airport Plaza.
Cheers
Tom

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
DaRider wrote: Hello folks,

I've seen some of the ER6 Kawasakis in the rental places fitted with racks in the back, some stainless steel, some aluminium.
chiang-mai-handy-mc-related-shops-t633.html

SOMCHIT - DAENG GLON PRATU:
Aluminium welding & engineering. New exhausts, metal top boxes & cases, luggage racks. Two locations:

1. Daeng Glon Pra Tu
105 Rakaeng Rd
Chiang Mai
Tel: 053820784-6. Mobile: 0189508622

2. 2. Daeng Glon Pratu
250 Mahidon Road
Pa Daet
Tel: 053202269 & 053202270. Mobile 0896356908

Most if not all bike work is done at the "airport"location nowadays.

Sep 22, 2008
Or you could try. http://www.thaimotorbox.com/index.php

They are an Official Givi dealer. So they have all the relevant GIVI racks not JUST RACKS made up in shop from cheap tube. BUT only Givi boxes. Some of the Shad ones ARE nice :D

I had a Top box and e21 side cases that nearly survived a good crash... to be fair the box is intact. But one side case blew its lid off and split (the bike did flip and land on that side). BUT my netbook that was in the case was ok. so as far as i'm concerned THEY worked. I have to check if i can just buy a new lid... hoping so.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
thaicbr wrote: Or you could try. http://www.thaimotorbox.com/index.php

They are an Official Givi dealer. So they have all the relevant GIVI racks not JUST RACKS made up in shop from cheap tube. BUT only Givi boxes. Some of the Shad ones ARE nice :D

I had a Top box and e21 side cases that nearly survived a good crash... to be fair the box is intact. But one side case blew its lid off and split (the bike did flip and land on that side). BUT my netbook that was in the case was ok. so as far as i'm concerned THEY worked. I have to check if i can just buy a new lid... hoping so.
:thumbup:

Nov 7, 2007
Davidfl wrote: [quote quote=DaRider]Hello folks,

chiang-mai-handy-mc-related-shops-t633.html

SOMCHIT - DAENG GLON PRATU:
Aluminium welding & engineering. New exhausts, metal top boxes & cases, luggage racks. Two locations:

2. 2. Daeng Glon Pratu
250 Mahidon Road
Pa Daet
Tel: 053202269 & 053202270. Mobile 0896356908

Most if not all bike work is done at the "airport"location nowadays.
I am guessing that's #2?

Ok found it, it's here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=18.76 ... 20racks%29

Getting rack on Monday, they're rather busy...

Dec 27, 2007
Ducatillon wrote: Frank - http://www.dr-bikebangkok.com/ in Bangkok.

They also sell Givi and Shad cases if you are interested in changing your Ninja into a sport touring bike.

It's not hard to find the shop but if you want, we can have a ride there next week.
Khun Yo, owner of DR Bike is a friendly nice guy but the rack his boys fabricated for my ER6n snapped and nearly caused a wreck when the give box got wedged under the tail and locked up the rear tire...
020509GiviInstallSm.jpg

(I had the rack fabbed because Givi hadn't yet released a rack for the then-new ER6n.

It looked and felt solid...
020509GiviInstall1Sm.jpg

Khun Yo was very apologetic about nearly killing me and built me a new and stronger (better designed) rack and gave me a new Givi box to replace the one that was destroyed. After that experience I've never bothered to try out the new rack. I've gone back to what I've always used- Tank bag and pillion bag.

Ride On!

Tony

Jul 25, 2010
I have a Give box rack for a ER6n that I wanted to use on a Versys but it seems that it wont work.I will keep the boxes and will get a new rack when they become available, so if anyone one is interested to take the rack off me, let me know. I have no idea of price as I don't know what it cost but if anyone is interested, let me know and I am sure we can work something out.

Jul 18, 2009
ronwebb;262482 wrote: I have a Give box rack for a ER6n that I wanted to use on a Versys but it seems that it wont work.I will keep the boxes and will get a new rack when they become available, so if anyone one is interested to take the rack off me, let me know. I have no idea of price as I don't know what it cost but if anyone is interested, let me know and I am sure we can work something out.
Sent u a PM

Feb 23, 2010
TonyBKK;262478 wrote: Khun Yo, owner of DR Bike is a friendly nice guy but the rack his boys fabricated for my ER6n snapped and nearly caused a wreck when the give box got wedged under the tail and locked up the rear tire...

It looked and felt solid...

Khun Yo was very apologetic about nearly killing me and built me a new and stronger (better designed) rack and gave me a new Givi box to replace the one that was destroyed. After that experience I've never bothered to try out the new rack. I've gone back to what I've always used- Tank bag and pillion bag.

Ride On!

Tony
Something I don't understand is the maximum weight limit on these top boxes.

Check this out http://www.thaimotorbox.com/product_case_detail.php?proid=26. Huge 55 lt case with 10kg limit. Are these boxes only for helmets? Really!?

They made my previous bike (D'tracker) a rack from strong stuff and I was able to strap more than 20 kgs on it with no issues.

I don't think Givi/Shad top cases are that safe.

Tony - glad you survived the "moment."

Cheers,

Esat

Nov 7, 2007
Daeng Glon Pratu made me beautiful pannier racks today. Made entirely from 15mm steel bars, looks great, welding as far as I can tell spotless, and they did an absolutely fantastic job matching it to the bike. It looks perfect. It looks better than the Givi ones I've seen, actually. Grand total of 2,500 baht! So thanks for the recommendation!

Only problem is the matte black paint job, that seems to come off rather easily. It's already coming off where the ortlieb bags snap on. I'll have to find a solution for this - maybe glossy black would have been better. They asked me which one I want, by the way. Unprompted.