regestration papers and other things

Horse

Sep 14, 2003
Hello, would first like to introdeuce myself. Im the horse and this is a fantastic site. Am heading to northern thailand soon and plan to do a bit of biking but this papers you need caper has got me scratchin me head.
1- When i hire a bike will i be given regestration papers which allow me to take the bike into other countries,? im thinking of jumping between thailand, vietnam, laos, cambodia, mabye burma
2- I have no driving license what-so-ever and am infact banned in Britain so will i be able to hire a hog at-all.?
3- would like to possibly buy a bike but realise i cant own it with tourist visa i will have so anyone know any way around this ?
4- Can i drive a bike unregistered without getting nicked ?
5- Anything anyone wants to enlighten me on feel free
thanks fae DA HORSE !!

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Hi Horse - here is some info. Anyone with newer info - feel free to correct this.

1- When i hire a bike will i be given regestration papers which allow me to take the bike into other countries,?

Some hire shops can set up the paperwork to get a rental into Laos. I don't know about Cambodia. No riding in Burma. You can only get small bikes into Vietnam - see the border crossing info.

2- I have no driving license what-so-ever and am infact banned in Britain so will i be able to hire a hog at-all.?

Legally - NO. Actually, they probably will not ask for one. BUT - you could be in serious trouble if something happens.

3- would like to possibly buy a bike but realise i cant own it with tourist visa i will have so anyone know any way around this ?

You can legally purchase and register a bike on a 30 day visa. You will need someone that will let you use their local address, and you have to get a form from your embassy or consulate showing that address.

4- Can i drive a bike unregistered without getting nicked ?

Legally - NO. Actually, in the north, most rentals are not registered. You will get busted in other parts of Thailand.

Good luck.

BobS

Rammis

Apr 11, 2003
Oh good buying a bike on a tourist visa was the question I had and you have answered it here already..[:D] I am going to be in your area in November and woould like to meet up with some of the regulars from this forum for a few beers. Hopfully I will see you when I get there.

Rammis

LoS bound

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Horse
Good to meet up with you in the Kafe last night.
That's an amazing story about you getting run over, stopped at the traffic lights in Chiang Mai yesterday. You're also a lucky man to have the Thai police come to your immediate rescue & save the day.
How about writing up some of your trips around the North for us to read....

Davidfl
Keep the power on