Registering bikes in Laos

May 9, 2004
Does anybody know how hard it is for a foreigner(tourist) to buy and register a vehicle in Laos? How about bringing one (importing?) from Cambodia?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Dean / Sirmotorbike
Don’t know about buying & registering a bike in Laos.
My guess is it aint easy.
So I reckon that your best bet is most likely to take your Suzuki Djebel 250 from Cambodia & use that in Laos.
If you’ve done a bit of riding in Cambodia / Laos / Thailand already, is there any chance of making a contribution to the GT Rider board with some Road & Trip Reports, please.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

May 9, 2004
OK, sorry. The road reports might be a little old but I guess it still could be of use to somebody, I'll try to do better next time. The only problem I have with taking my Djebel to Laos long term is, if anything breaks it might be a bitch getting parts.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
It almost won't matter what bike you have in Laos - the parts will have to come from elsewhere.
If you've got a bike that is popular in neighbouring countries, then there's a good chance you can get parts from there.
If there are a lot of Djebels in Cambodia, then it should not be a problem to email / phone a mate & get the parts sent over EMS or by courier.
Also a wise rider should know how his bike is running & what the next bike service / maintenance will require.
Keeping spare cables / levers / clutch plates / plugs / air cleaner / piston rings / brake pads / tubes / tyres should not be difficult to set up. What else do you want?

Davidfl
Keep the power on

Tony W

Nov 8, 2004
Dean,

Almost impossible. Having said that if you find the right person it is possible but probably expensive. You can get official registrations if you have a work permit, id card and business/offical visa however it can still take time, particularly if you work permit is of a short duration. I hope this is of some use.

Tony

Ben

Apr 14, 2004
Ask PVO/ KT or Fuark for help. I bought and registered a Honda XR 250, 2002, done 3000 km for $US 4,500 earlier this year.

Tony W

Nov 8, 2004
Legally ... impossible. You need a work permit, diplomatic or business visa. Then you only bet a temporary rego. Not much use but this is the way it is ... officially.

Cheers

Tony
[V]