registration of under 250 motorcycle for only 800 baht

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
You can register a new bike which you've bought at a local dealer for around 800 THB, that being a Honda Wave or a CBR 150 or a Boss or Phantom cruiser - they're no bigger than 200cc. There's the Platinum 250cc twin but you want to stay away from that one.
A used bike with 250 or 400 or more cc with no book is mostly imported in parts to avoid the high import tax, then illegally assembled to a roadworthy bike. To get this bike legal is complicated, grey-area and expensive. LivingLOS at thaivisa is pretty much right on, read his post again.
Don't know how to tell you this without sounding snobbish but you should ask your questions on the thaivisa board or elsewhere. This is a website for active riders who post their trip reports.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
KZ wrote: You can register a new bike which you've bought at a local dealer for around 800 THB, that being a Honda Wave or a CBR 150 or a Boss or Phantom cruiser - they're no bigger than 200cc. There's the Platinum 250cc twin but you want to stay away from that one.
A used bike with 250 or 400 or more cc with no book is mostly imported in parts to avoid the high import tax, then illegally assembled to a roadworthy bike. To get this bike legal is complicated, grey-area and expensive. LivingLOS at thaivisa is pretty much right on, read his post again.
Don't know how to tell you this without sounding snobbish but you should ask your questions on the thaivisa board or elsewhere. This is a website for active riders who post their trip reports.
I have to disagree with you KZ. A search of this board will show MANY discussions on registering bikes and how to get legal (or not) registrations. There is much more here than just trip reports.

I refer many people away from Thaivisa and direct them to this forum as this is where people actually know what they are talking about.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Of course there are lots of disussions on registering bikes, in fact I've posted lots of questions since I'm still trying to get my bike registered. But I've also been to told to google first before posting a question and been criticized that I haven't contributed any trip reports.
I admit I'm out of line to tell new posters to go somewhere else, but it seemed that fridgemagnet's question showed that he doesn't have basic knowledge about registering a bike. I just tried to give him that basic information without getting into a big discussion about it.
As soon as I get my bike legal I'll post some trip reports!