Riding end of December

Sam

Dec 15, 2004
Hi,
I’ll be arriving to Chiang Mai on Dec. 28th, renting a bike (hopefully a 400cc) and going on a 6 or 7 day tour to Mae Hong Son and the Golden Triangle region. If anyone is into easy riding and stopping wherever/whenever something looks good on the road, it will be great to team up.

I would also like to ask you guys for suggestions/advice. I’ll be getting Daves book and maps and will buy a pair of gloves but:
1) I will not be carrying my leathers (I am backpacking), just a regular bomber jacket. I’ll be cruising along but more protection never hurts. Any suggestions? Can we (should I) rent a jacket??
2) Theft: How bad it is?... I mean, 2 guys and a van, chained or not, bike is gone in seconds…
3) It might come down to personal preferences but from your experience, the road conditions and reliability, which 400cc would you suggest renting? I noticed the Super4 very popular

And finally, should I even consider a tour? do you suggest any? My book mentioned “Udom Tours” but got no answer. I might be checking other books soon (even if I am more leaning to “just go”)

Thanks
Sam

Nov 1, 2004
Beverly and I have the same agenda. We will be renting two Bajas and tour for 6 days. Hope to spend one day in Laos but haven't figured how to do that on a rented bike. We have David's travel kit and are mapping out the route now.

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Hi Sam - see below

I would also like to ask you guys for suggestions/advice. I’ll be getting Daves book and maps and will buy a pair of gloves but:

Dave has maps for Mae Hong Son and Laos. For the Golden Triangle, get the Berentson and Berentson - North Thailand map. Dave's book is from 1998 - still good for the routes, but there is more lodging and food available.

Gloves won't be easy if you wear a large size, you may have to make do with work gloves.

1) I will not be carrying my leathers (I am backpacking), just a regular bomber jacket. I’ll be cruising along but more protection never hurts. Any suggestions? Can we (should I) rent a jacket??

Can't rent any jackets. Jeans and a regular jacket should be fine. You can buy cheap rainsuits for about $6-7 US.

You usually get a cheap open face helmet with a rental. You can get better ones - again harder to find larger sizes.

2) Theft: How bad it is?... I mean, 2 guys and a van, chained or not, bike is gone in seconds…

Stay at places that have a little security, gated, lit yards, etc. Buy a padlock to use a a disc lock. Should not be a problem.

3) It might come down to personal preferences but from your experience, the road conditions and reliability, which 400cc would you suggest renting? I noticed the Super4 very popular

Lots of 400s for rent here, but usually pretty beat, and poorly maintained. You should not just rent on and head out for a week - try it locally first.

And finally, should I even consider a tour? do you suggest any? My book mentioned “Udom Tours” but got no answer. I might be checking other books soon (even if I am more leaning to “just go”)

Don't bother with a tour. Lots of money with little return. Do a bit of reading on this site, and do it yourself. Try to hook up with some of the locals for an evening. A few beers gets you a lot of advice.

You also might look at a map. What you want to do is probably better done in 2 loops, rather than a continuous trip.

Have fun

BobS

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Sam

Dec 15, 2004
Thanks for the advice Bob, duly noted.
Yeah, I got some (very rough) maps from AAA and over the net to get a sense of cities location, road heights (topographic maps) and distances. Lots of info out there, hopefully it’s up-to-date (doubt it, but it’s a start). I'll look for the maps you mentioned (worst case, once there)
I was also thinking of doing 2 loops instead of one... but I was more thinking of getting a change of cloth ;) (I travel light)

Like the beer idea… and you’re invited if you’ll be in town

Sam

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Sam

The book and maps are available at several places in Chiang Mai. You are better off getting them here.

BobS

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Dec 21, 2004
quote:

Originally posted by Sam

Hi,
I’ll be arriving to Chiang Mai on Dec. 28th, renting a bike (hopefully a 400cc) and going on a 6 or 7 day tour to Mae Hong Son and the Golden Triangle region. If anyone is into easy riding and stopping wherever/whenever something looks good on the road, it will be great to team up.

Thanks
Sam