Riding Partner

Jan 19, 2007
Originally posted by d555

HI There!

My name is Daniel and I will be visiting Thailand for the first time.

I am planning to rent a Baja 250cc to ride the loops around Chiang Mai (from May 6th to 9th).
Then on May 10th, fly to Phuket (direct or via BKK), rent another bike , and ride the South Beaches & Islands for 8 days.
"Full-out" riding, as well as taking the time to enjoy nature, food, scuba diving, fishing... and partying too! [:D]

I have some riding experience and love all the "adventures".

If you are around, or know anyone who is interested in joining me, please send me a note.
I have travelled and lived in a lot of different places, so Thailand is another "MUST".

Solo, or with a buddy, the experiences are always awesome!

Thanks,
D.

PS: of course, any info, tips, advice, best picks, are very welcome!
For adventure you want to ride cambodia, dont ride alone though, rent a bike in phnom penh for $10 a day and take a kymer guide $25 aday, . well worth it but you will need off road experience, but beleive me its the best

d555

Apr 13, 2007
Hi Mike!

Thanks for the suggestion.
That sounds really full on!

I'd like to catch up with you again, at the end of this year.
After this trip to Thailand, I am planning a Vietnam - Laos - Cambodia with a friend, JAN-FEB 08.
It would be cool to hear your experiences.

Thanx,
D.

d555

Apr 13, 2007
quote:

Originally posted by bgilmer

I am going to be in Chiang Mai on June 1st and want to do some riding. If you are there at the same time let me know and maybe we can ride together. you can reach me at [email [email protected]][email protected][/email]

Brian

Hi Brian!

Sounds good!
I will send you an email with some details.
Thanks.

Actually, I just checked your other thread and found out that our dates do not match.... I am in Chiang Mai from June 6th to June 11th.

Enjoy your ride!

[[;)]
D.

d555

Apr 13, 2007
Hi Ian!

Yeap, I'll definately contact you once I arrive in Chiang Mai on June 6th, early evening.
I'm planning to start on the next morning, doing 4 nights around MHS, mainly offroad and as little asphalt as possible.
Planning to return to Chiang Mai on June 11th, late evening.

In any case, I'd be very happy to tag along for some of your GPS Maping ride.

Thanks.

Looking forward.

D.

d555

Apr 13, 2007
Hello David!

Just got back home two days ago.
Excellent trip!
Yes, I stayed a few nights at Jonnada (great place, thanks to John & Pannada). I didn't go to the X-Centre.
Rode alone.
Rented a CBR 150 R for the asphalt, and a XR 250 for the dirt trails.
Did the MHS loop, the Samoeng loop, and two days of dirt trails with a local motocross/enduro guide.
After these 6 nights, I took a quick flight to Phuket.
I spent 10 nights around the south of Thailand, riding a Transalp 400cc, visited some of the islands, scuba diving, etc...

Just getting my things together now, and will be making a full report (with lots of pics) by next week.

Daniel

d555

Apr 13, 2007
Hi John,

Good to hear from you.

I had some challenges when I arrived back in Phuket to return the bike

Mud (the person who I hired the bike from), tried to charge 12,500 B for the repair of two small scratches on the plastic.
Not one accident with bike, not a dump, just the usual/expected wear of a 10 day rental. (I will post the picture of the scratch with my report).

I was laughing with a clinched fist!

This guy (with his team of cheerleaders) was really trying to convince me that I had to pay 12,500 B for this paint job....and for the following 2.5 hrs he did his routine.... a joke!!!

After a lot of patience and 2,500 B, I got my passport back, quickly shared my thoughts about his filthiness, and went for a long sleep before my flight home the next day.

I often categorize these type of situations as "learning experiences".
Overall, I am a happy learner.....
But at the very end of my trip, I was no longer in the "learning mood" ...

I didn't have your contact number (and still don't), so my apologies for not getting together this time.

I'll be returning to Thailand by the end of this year and would like to have the chance to catch up then.

Thanks again for the info and hints.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Ah the Joys of Renting in Phuket. When i lived there this was a Typical Story. They actually told me they can Get their Money back in one Season of Renting a Big Bike just from Damages. That's why they have Shit Tyres and Brakes, more chance of an Accident. They even Charge the Guys Family if he happens to Kill himself!!! Lovely People down there!!! A Samui favorite was rent you an Old Scooter then use the Spare Key to Steal it back if they saw it at night. Then Charge you for the Cost of a New One!!! They were smart enough to hide it till you left the Island though!!! Hope it didn't spoil your Holiday though Daniel all the People aren't that Bad.
Cheers Ian.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Yeah, had experiences with Mud myself a few years back - he rents from Beach Rd Patong right? Everything from Fireblades to dirtbikes. Nice enough guy up front but like all the shysters down in Phuket, will try to screw you at every opportunity......

Glad I chose to live up North [:D] (no offence intended T.J, Pico or any other southern chaps!)

Cheers,

Pikey.