Seriously, how bad will it be over Songkran?

May 6, 2009
Oh dear John What has happened to the man who rode the FJR1200 at almost 200 KPH from KK to Korat with me a few short years ago !!!!!

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Brian, the simple answer to your question is that, that man is missing riding with you.
present thread is about what to do with the bike during Songkran, that's why I am on bicycle s and scooters.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Day 3 Songkran Madness: 173 dead!

Charupong cracks whip over road toll
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/345390/death-toll-from-holiday-break-on-the-rise

Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan has ordered officials to put more effort into reducing the death toll from accidents during the Songkran holiday, as revellers will soon be on the roads again on their way back home.

The instruction came after officials reported the number of deaths is on its way to breaking last year's record.

From Thursday to Saturday, or close to halfway through the ``seven dangerous days'', 173 motorists had been killed, the Road Safety Centre reported. In the first three days of Songkran in 2011, the centre had recorded 144 deaths.

The "seven dangerous days" campaign ends on Wednesday.

Last year 320 motorists died during the seven-day holiday period. Before Songkran began this year, the government vowed to bring down the toll.

Mr Charupong told officials in a video conference to all provinces to adopt better measures to reduce the figure, but he said no one would be punished if provinces failed to do so.

The minister stressed the need to better regulate traffic on main highways as 70% of the 1,447 road accidents over the three days had taken place on main roads.

"I want to insist that those provinces which have a high number of accidents and deaths find measures to prevent more loss of life," he said.

Some people are expected to return to Bangkok and other working places from their hometowns on Monday.

Government offices will open on Wednesday after the official holiday announced by the government ends on Tuesday. Many businesses will still be closed on Wednesday.

The government deployed almost 70,000 officials and set up 2,339 checkpoints across the country during the holiday.

On Saturday, 72 people were killed and 688 injured in 656 accidents.

Nakhon Si Thammarat had the highest number of accidents at 25.

Prachuap Khiri Khan was the next worst province with a death toll of five. The highest number of injuries, 27, was recorded in Nakhon Si Thammarat.

The only province without road accidents was Trat.

Almost half of the accidents were caused by drunk driving, followed by 24.09% from speeding and 15.55% from dangerous driving on motorcycles.

Most of the accidents, 82%, involved motorcycles, followed by 10.36% for pickup trucks and 4.14% for private cars or taxis.

People across the country were still celebrating Songkran on Sunday in popular destinations like Bangkok, Chiang Mai and major centres in other provinces. Officials expect the celebration, which peaked on Saturday, Thailand's traditional New Year, will continue on Monday in some places.

Dec 27, 2007
Much ado about nothing I reckon- just ride as you normally do, assuming everyone is out to kill you, and you'll do just fine ;)

On the ~9km ride from my house to Mulligans on Sukhumvit Soi 11 we got hit twice, and it felt great!

Of course, as the afternoon wore on things got crazier, but we were on foot for all of that.

Once the sun goes down and temperatures drop the water play pretty much stops. Rode home without getting splashed once.

Sawasdee Pii Mai Krup! Happy New Year everyone! :happy1:

Dec 27, 2007
A few more random pics from the Songran shennanigans yesterday
sexy.gif

04152013IMG_4777.jpg

04152013IMG_4766.jpg

04152013IMG_4770.jpg

04152013IMG_4774.jpg

04152013IMG_4803.jpg

04152013IMG_4781.jpg

04152013IMG_4783.jpg

04152013IMG_4784.jpg

04152013IMG_4805.jpg

04152013IMG_4798.jpg

04152013IMG_4796.jpg

SaWasdee pii in my cup!!!
bananaman.gif
bananaman.gif
bananaman.gif

Sep 4, 2007
Today, normally the last of the big days for Songkran in Chiang Mai.
Called at Keiths house bright and early, my Nouvo SX
YamahaNouvoSX.jpg

Keith modern stable, he has more bikes round the corner.
2HondasandaYamaha.jpg

Keith leading on the Nouvo Elegance and his visiting friend on his CRF 250, me bringing up the tail on the Nouvo SX.
A brisk pace around the town, no hazards and around the Samoeng loop. Little bit cool, some views, air felt clean, first stop the usual photo point by the police box.
Keithandvisitingfriendattheusualphotospot.jpg

2oldbuddiesAverageage70.jpg

Then as usual on to the viewpoint, the little bikes buzzing along, very free and easy riding, full speed around most of the corners, Keith elbows down.
Seriousworkthisriding.jpg

Not the most organised of shots at the viewpoint
Viewpoint.jpg

And on the the X Centre for coffee, successfully dodging a couple of youngsters whose aim with the buckets was not too good.
Xcentrestop.jpg

Then to Sausage King for a great breakfast. On the way a few happy revellers, with the money trees etc, some gentle water fighting of the more respectful kind, but we all got through with barely a drop, now warming up, so would not have minded a bit, having protected the valuables.
Home from there by 10.30am. No problems on the way.
So over Songkran, I have managed to get in one serious journey, a couple of days before, and have had early outings each of the 3 main days with no worries. In fact on a scooter, if you know what is going to happen, keep safe your phone etc, and when you see the water ahead, slow down, develop a few dodging techniques and enjoy the cooling, it can be fun.
Happy New Year and stay safe on those 'normal' days on the road.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Toll rises as people head back

The Nation April 17, 2013 1:00 am

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Toll-rises-as-people-head-back-30204123.html

Traffic deaths were still up from last year during the first five of the seven dangerous days of Songkran, while injuries and accidents were down by the hundreds, according to the Road Safety Centre.

Panadda Diskul, deputy permanent secretary of the Interior Ministry, said yesterday that the death toll from Thursday to Monday had reached 255, exceeding last year's 253. However, injuries were reduced by 312 to 2,439 from 2,751 and accidents by 291 to 2,290 from 2,581 last year.

Monday alone saw 37 fatalities and 419 injuries from 393 accidents.

No deaths in 10 provinces

Prachuap Khiri Khan and Kanchanaburi remained the most deadly provinces with 11 killed in each, while Chiang Mai was the most dangerous with 87 injured in 86 accidents.

Ten provinces remained fatality-free - Chon Buri, Chaiyaphum, Trat, Nonthaburi, Pattani, Phuket, Yala, Ranong, Angthong and Amnat Charoen.

Panadda said buses, trains and planes were crammed with people returning to Bangkok for the first day of work today.

He instructed governors to order agencies in their provinces to keep an eye on highways and roads leading to the capital.

Since drunk driving, speeding and reckless driving were the usual causes of accidents, the centre will direct police to enforce traffic laws strictly, particularly in provinces along the major routes to Bangkok.

"Police and staff at checkpoints on highways and roads are instructed to inspect drivers of all modes of public transport to ensure they are not drunk and can drive in a safe manner. A public vehicle travelling farther than 400 kilometres must have two drivers," he added.

In Nakhon Ratchasima, Mittraphap Road, which connects the Northeast with Central region, was congested.

Some motorists were advised to avoid Mittraphap and detour to Ratchasima-Kabin Buri Road, where the traffic was not as heavy.

The main bus terminal in Nakhon Ratchasima had to lay on more buses to conduct 300-400 trips daily instead of 200 to meet the doubled demand.

As all public buses and trains to Bangkok were fully booked, many passengers in Uttaradit decided to buy tickets that allowed them to stand.

Trains from the southernmost provinces to Bangkok were also jammed with passengers.

All seats were reserved up to Sunday.

Aug 25, 2012
I'm back from Nan after a very enjoyable few days on the road.

Took the following route
12/04 Bkk - Lom Sak - Phitsanulok (wanted to ride Route 12)
13/04 Phitsanulok - Nam Pat - 1339 (including ferry crossing) - Nan
14/04 Nan
15/04 Nan - Nam Pat (1339 again - what an amazing road) - Petchabun
16/04 Petchabun - Saraburi - Thanyaburi - Bkk

General comments
- road conditions were fine. Not too much traffic and at no time felt in any danger
- lots of people playing water by the sides of the road. Decided to enjoy the event and slowed down for most of them. Was in fact very enjoyable, especially those stops with girls in wet T-shirts. They were mostly delighted that a fully geared rider on a biggish bike would actually stop for them
- there was only one unpleasant incident on the way back when an idiot threw thickish red gunge. It splattered on my visor and impaired my vision signficantly. I got off the back and strode menacing back towards them. Most of the others ran away but the guy in question stayed there. I walked up to him and just said "nam" and pointed to my visor. He offered me a bucket of water but I made him clean my visor as well. The others were having a good laugh at him as was I inside as I believe I made him lose a lot of face, having to wash off my visor while I stood practically head and shoulders above him
- Phitsanulok has arguably the biggest share of pretties. Boy oh boy. There is also a very happening bar/pub in the Amarin Nakorn hotel (which itself is a dump)
- Nan surprisingly was quite lively as well - there is a place called Channel X and another place with lots of pubs (similar to Khaosan road)
- Petchabun was not too bad either. Went to a place (forget the name now) that had a very good live band and the atmosphere was great and lively

Route 12 Lomsak to Phitsanulok and route 1339 made the trip worthwhile, just for the sake of riding. The ferry crossing was quite interesting but a bit pricey at Thb 100 per way. Ate at one of the two restaurants (Nan side) and the fish was just superb. I had a steamed fish plus a plate of deep fried fish, plate of rice and a large bottle of coke - pricey as well at Thb 350 but so, so good. There were quite a few people waiting to cross so the ferry guys (and one very cute girl) told me to go and have lunch first and they will come to get me when it's my turn, which was the way it worked out exactly.

Had one nervy moments. One was on the way up, just outside of Saraburi. I turned off the highway 2 I think and felt the bike wobbling a bit more than usual. Stopped to check and could tell the tire was slightly deflated. Pull off at a petrol station, there was a guy filling up his bike tyres and he kindly showed me the way to a repair shop. Unfortunately, he didn't have the necessary tools to repair big tyres so he gave me directions to a car tyre repair shop. Got there, but they didn't know what to do so they called, guess who? the first guy
smile.png
. So between the two of them plus some big spanners and air drills, they got my tyre off, vulcanised and patched it and sent me on my way. I must admit to being quite nervous the next few days, in case of sudden deflation so took it fairly easy on the twisties
sad.png

Mar 1, 2014
I don't know if this is considered thread jacking, so please let me know. I am planning a ride from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen shortly after Songkran 2014. How are the roads just east of P'lok? I'm looking at Google Maps, and it indicates that the shortest route is 11 from CM to P'lok and 12 from P'lok to Khon Kaen. I'm asking because I'm considering renting a large scooter as opposed to a sport bike for comfort and for the ease of carrying my stuff under the seats as opposed to my back or having to spring for a tank bag or saddle bags. If there are no major mountains, then I'm really leaning toward a scoot. Thanks.

TonyBKK;289047 wrote: Yes, as John rightly says, a lot depends on where you go and what time you'll be on the road.

I've toured around during Songkran before and by sticking to a combination of very rural areas and major roads I was able to avoid any dousings, drunks and drama. I rode from BKK to Nakhon Sawan to Pitsanulok, then the fantastic highway 12 east all the way to Khon Kaen. Stayed at the much recommended guesthouse/hotel on the west side of town (can't remember the name just now...). But the advantage is that you can reach the hotel without going in to the city. Leave your bike there and walk in to town for the Songkran fun.

I reckon it's best to avoid riding in most cities where people set up road side "watering" stations and drive around in pickups looking to douse you. And of course, try not to be out on two wheels in the afternoons and evenings when the % of drunks must skyrocket.

Dec 27, 2007
PatrickCW;297506 wrote: I don't know if this is considered thread jacking, so please let me know. I am planning a ride from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen shortly after Songkran 2014. How are the roads just east of P'lok? I'm looking at Google Maps, and it indicates that the shortest route is 11 from CM to P'lok and 12 from P'lok to Khon Kaen. I'm asking because I'm considering renting a large scooter as opposed to a sport bike for comfort and for the ease of carrying my stuff under the seats as opposed to my back or having to spring for a tank bag or saddle bags. If there are no major mountains, then I'm really leaning toward a scoot. Thanks.
Highway 12 between Pitsanulok and Lom Sak is under construction and best avoided at this time- they are widening the road and it's a dusty unpleasant mess. If it gets wet it will be very slippery. East of Lom Sak highway 12 is in fantastic condition all the way to Khon Kaen.