Songkran and Bike Riders???

Feb 3, 2005
As Songkran is just about upon us, I am wondering what most Bike Riders do for the Holiday.... Hold up in their homes to avoid the Wet & Wild, or just brave the roads and put up with being Soaked, Splashed and Splatered???

Pianoman

tiswas

Apr 2, 2007
keep away from the accepted "play" areas, like near my place the road that hugs our river is to be avoided at all costs, the main roads seem to haveno problem as I've experienced

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
I am going to Singapore. Good excuse to get away and also pick up some parts and accessories while I am there.

In answer to your question; in past years I just restricted my riding to using my Tiger Joker stepthrough. Did most my running around in the evening or stuck to some of the back soi's where traffic wasn't as bad. Still always got wet. Made it all the way home from CM, about 10km, to my house without incident only to be soaked by my neighbor. I can't agree with tiswas, you are also a target on the main roads, just a little more room to maneuver. Watch for pick up trucks coming from behind with the "water brigade" in the back. They love to sneak up on you. Like I said, going to Singapore,,,,,,

Dec 26, 2006
i m still trying to understand this monkey and brainless festival.
Where is the fun ...Everyyear it end up with accident.....
Stay away from your bike if you can..

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
Totally agree with Silver hawk. I'm off to Japan for the same reason! It was a lot of fun the first few years but it's just gotten so out of control now it's no fun at all on the bike

tiswas

Apr 2, 2007
I'm off to Kanchanaburi tomorrow so we'll see, have fun in Sing & Yippon to Silverhawk & Snail. I'll post a report when I get back...if I'm dry enough !!!!!!!!!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Songkran is a totally dangerous time to be riding / touring on a motorcycle. Dont do it!
Many motorcycle shops in the North refuse to rent out their bigger bikes for touring at this time of the year.
The reason: too many accidents, thousands of drunk people -drivers & pedestrians - on the roads. Plus bucket fulls of water are deliberately thrown at you, often directed at your face for the best impact & most inconvenience = danger!

Up country in the North where it is "best" celebrated the kids in the villages throw water for about 10 days, not just during the official festival. They start before & finish after the festival. It's hot & it's also school holidays so they've got nothing better to do for 10 days. So if you're in & / or around Chiang Mai city & think that you will escape the mayhem by fleeing upcountry, think again - the kids will get you.

Now if you're new on the Chiang Mai / North Thailand block, and it's your first one or two Songkran festivals, then enjoy the drunken debauchery, wet T-shirts & water throwing while you can, & before the novelty wears off. But please DONT try motorcycle touring!

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Bikes parked it's no just getting wet, it's getting yuor vision blurred while riding a macj hine that can certainly hurt someone if thety are hit by it. They won't forgive you for the injuries in the name of the festival.

I ride the rain all the time, rain does usually come with huge chunks of ice in it. Peopel can really get stupid this time of year. Want to go play get a tuk tuk and go experience it. But leave the bike parked.

actaully one of the primary reasons I bouhgt a pickup. It hasn't started in Udon yet, but it will in just a few days. Altought the big water gun are not supposed to be used. Lotus ha huge bins of them forsale and people are buying like crazy. That high pressure is enough to blind you long enough to get in a lot of trouble evne if yuor lucky enough not to get hurt yourself

Jun 21, 2006
Just got back into Nong Khai from Khon Kean, and the water throwing has started allready, and its only Tuesday Going north as you come into Udon the locals have set up a free coffe stop, so for those Thais doing the long drive home at least they can stop for a free cuppa, good idea, they do the same in OZ over long week ends, but double the fines and demerit points, so you get a free cuppa, but can quite easily lose your licence as well

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Hi Guys, My bike is and stays in Garage, during this seasson it wont start, never, but when it comes to touring, missus and undesigned are off to serious touring and exploring roads, starting from Ubon to Mukhadan,then nong Khai using border road,then still using border road all the way to mae sai and from there maybe Chiang mai and then TAK, from there to River Kwai and continue Ayuttaya and back to Ubon, also im testing my Garmin Nuvi 310GPS how it's working and accurancy.

Aug 3, 2004
Hey TJ were you in Kon Kaen on Monday ? I was there at lunchtime and missed my turn and ended up in traffic near the bus station. As I turned a corner I glimpsed what looked like a red Phantom and thought of you.
I was in traffic and thought you were down South anyway. I was on a black Phantom with Top Box and a broken windscreen. I had just come in from Lom Sak headed for Sisaket.
I'll be cranky if I came that close and missed you.
Cheers,
Peter

Aug 3, 2004
P.S. Copped my first bucket of water on the highway near Mahasarakham. Doing about 120 and wasn't expecting it. They were good shots and it hit with a thud. Took about half an hour to dry out
Think i'll stick with the jakrayan for a few days.
Peter

Jun 21, 2006
scenes from the 1340,.....full report to follow!

th_DSC04805.jpg

there we are dave i figured it out....

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Yep more I think about it this might just be the right time to do paint work ect. The 535 is really sparkling what four days of waxing can do LOL

One moer day my sanity returns I can ride

Great photos

anon

Nov 14, 2006
Nice photo.Motorcyclists seem to be one of the main targets.I noticed that they don't usually throw water at you if you are carrying a baby in front of you.Next year I'm thinking of adapting a big doll with a water jet or two.A big BMW with the panniers filled with ice cold water would do nicely.

Jun 21, 2006
Luke how about metting me half way i.e. something a bit bigger thanyours and a bit smaller than mine I hope its not the girls complaining its too big.....