SSR Hooligans Heading North July 23-26th!

Dec 27, 2007
Bkk-Tak-Mae Sot-Mae Sariang-MHS-CM-Nan-Loei-Bkk.

BKK thru to Mae Sariang Day one Hotel in Mae Sariang
Mae Sariang thru to CM Day two Hotel in CM
CM thru to Loei Day three Hotel in Loei
Loei to Bkk Day four

Friday 23rd July Caltex Asoke, Press the starter button 6am!

Hope to see many of our GT Rider friends during the trip- Fellow bikers with fast bikes and proper attitudes are welcome to join for all or part of the trip.

Gonna be another epic ride! :happy5:

Link: http://secretsoi.com/board/index.php?topic=871.0

Woohoo!

Tony

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
As stated in the Koh Samui post, I will be with you part of the way !! Will try to leave CNX on Friday early morning to make it in time for your wake-up call in Mae Sariang and then continue up to Loei, Monday return Loei to CNX.....cheers, Franz

Dec 27, 2007
Franz wrote: As stated in the Koh Samui post, I will be with you part of the way !! Will try to leave CNX on Friday early morning to make it in time for your wake-up call in Mae Sariang and then continue up to Loei, Monday return Loei to CNX.....cheers, Franz
Outstanding! Will be fun to watch the two Austrian speed demons battle again! :mrgreen:
Look forward to seeing you Franz!
Cheers,
Tony

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Tony are you doing Mae Sariang-Khun Yuam-MHS-Pai-CNX or the straight Mae Sariang-Hot-Chiang Mai route ? IF MHS I'm gonna take the DR650, if straight the FJR of course, just want to see if over the mountains against your racers I can keep up with the thumper......... :? Just await my Laser can and a bigger backsprocket to give it even more ooomph.... :lol: . Looking eagerly for the date to approach !! And of course, there's always Singha and Whiskey at my house !!!! 4 u soon, FR

Dec 27, 2007
Franz wrote: Tony are you doing Mae Sariang-Khun Yuam-MHS-Pai-CNX or the straight Mae Sariang-Hot-Chiang Mai route ? IF MHS I'm gonna take the DR650, if straight the FJR of course, just want to see if over the mountains against your racers I can keep up with the thumper......... :? Just await my Laser can and a bigger backsprocket to give it even more ooomph.... :lol: . Looking eagerly for the date to approach !! And of course, there's always Singha and Whiskey at my house !!!! 4 u soon, FR
Hi Franz,

I'm not entirely sure as Andrew is planning this ride but I think the planned route will be the long way around via Mae Hong Song and Pai. The more curves the better! I suspect in the tight twisties your "thumper" will certainly hold it's own against the bigger bikes. Have you mastered the motard-style leg out turn? That's a technique I'd like to learn. :happy2:
Ride On!
Tony

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
No Tony haven't got that Motard foot ahead style yet ..... :oops: .....my sheer weight I think will snap my knee in two if I rode like this ...... :oops: .....anyway I still have the 90/90/21" front wheel on the DR and that really doesn't like to be leaned over too much.....anyway for Mae Sariang-MHS-Pai-CNX the FJR isn't fun but hard work so I'm gonna be either on the SRX600 or the DR650. How many are you coming up ?? See u soon my friend, Franz

Dec 27, 2007
Franz wrote: No Tony haven't got that Motard foot ahead style yet ..... :oops: .....my sheer weight I think will snap my knee in two if I rode like this ...... :oops: .....anyway I still have the 90/90/21" front wheel on the DR and that really doesn't like to be leaned over too much.....anyway for Mae Sariang-MHS-Pai-CNX the FJR isn't fun but hard work so I'm gonna be either on the SRX600 or the DR650. How many are you coming up ?? See u soon my friend, Franz
Ha ha! Indeed, on those roads the smaller bikes really have the advantage. I remember ripping them up on my little Ninja 250R while guys on larger bikes were struggling to stand at the end of the day from all the work it took throwing their bigger heavier bikes around all those tight curves! :happy5:

I plan to take my GSXR on this ride- even though it's a liter bike it's actually lighter and shorter than my Ninja 650R! Crazy, huh? Will just have to treat the throttle with a lot of respect and hopefully it'll prove capable on the Mae Hong Song loop.

Right now I think we've got a half dozen guys ("The Usual Suspect") :mrgreen: from Bangkok coming- it's still a ways away so who knows, perhaps a couple more will sign up between now and then.

SRX600 or DR650... that is a tough choice! If you still have a 21" wheel on the front of the DR then I'd have to vote for the SRX though. Depends how hard you want to push it (and we know you never just coast) :happy3: :lol-sign:

Ride On!

Tony

Nov 7, 2007
Franz wrote: As stated in the Koh Samui post, I will be with you part of the way !! Will try to leave CNX on Friday early morning to make it in time for your wake-up call in Mae Sariang and then continue up to Loei, Monday return Loei to CNX.....cheers, Franz
Isn't that Saturday morning, they'll stay in Mae Sariang overnight + start on Friday...

Would like to join at Mae Sariang too, however, can't make any promises. Choice of bike will be easy... Er-6n or Honda Wave :p

Dec 27, 2007
nikster wrote: [quote quote=Franz]As stated in the Koh Samui post, I will be with you part of the way !! Will try to leave CNX on Friday early morning to make it in time for your wake-up call in Mae Sariang and then continue up to Loei, Monday return Loei to CNX.....cheers, Franz
Isn't that Saturday morning, they'll stay in Mae Sariang overnight + start on Friday...

Would like to join at Mae Sariang too, however, can't make any promises. Choice of bike will be easy... Er-6n or Honda Wave :p

LOL :lol-sign: Yes- unless I'm mistaken the holiday weekend begins on Friday July 23rd so we'll leave the Big Smoke early on Friday the 23rd and ride to Mae Sariang via Tak and Mae Sot on day one.

Hope Franz and Nikster can meet us in Mae Sariang on Friday evening and join us for the continuing ride on to Khun Yuam, Mae Hong Song, Pai and finally into Chiang Mai.

I haven't done the Mae Hong Song Loop in a while and am really looking forward to it!
1122Road1Sm.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Dec 27, 2007
Marco wrote: [quote quote=TonyBKK] Fellow bikers with fast bikes [/url]

Woohoo!

Tony
Tony

I godda find that fast bike first,,,,

looking forward to see you guys again, if im home still those days
Cheers Marco- hope you are continuing to recover well. You've ridden with us before- we like to go at a good pace but we don't mind waiting for you to catch up either :mrgreen: Would be great to see you- even if it's just for beers
beerchug.gif

Happy Trails!
Tony

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
TonyBKK wrote: [quote quote=Marco][quote quote=TonyBKK] Fellow bikers with fast bikes [/url]

Woohoo!

Tony
Tony

I godda find that fast bike first,,,,

looking forward to see you guys again, if im home still those days
Cheers Marco- hope you are continuing to recover well. You've ridden with us before- we like to go at a good pace but we don't mind waiting for you to catch up either :mrgreen: Would be great to see you- even if it's just for beers
beerchug.gif

Happy Trails!

Tony

For sure i'll be there,, IF im still home that time,,, i would miss that,, you guys are always so much fun,,,

recovery is done and now bike is waiting plastic's and then NEW PINK Paint job,,
Tony

Dec 27, 2007
Quick update on the ride- here's the list of guys riding from Bangkok to Mae Sariang on Friday-

Grant Ducati Monster
Peter R1
Tiger Tiger
Gerhard Honda VFR
Tony GXS-R 1000
Trent Fazer 600
Spud R1
Khun Alex R1100GS

We're hoping that Franz and Nikster can join us in Mae Sariang on Friday afternoon / evening for the continuing ride to Khun Yuam, Mae Hong Song, Pai and CM on Saturday. From CM we'll be continuing on to either Nan OR Loei- haven't decided which just yet.

Woohoo! Can't wait!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Dec 27, 2007
Just added Neil on a Triumph Sprint ST- sweet bike, can't wait to see it in action!

Preview of things to come? :lol-sign:
22226787-L.jpg

WOOT!
:happy5:

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Wow that gets better every day :mrgreen: , I think there will also be some bikes from CNX & surrounding provinces that will meet up with you somewhere inbetween Tak and Pai.
I just wonder if I should get Chris' old R1.... :happy4:

Hope that also Fiu can join on the Bros 400. See u soon, Franz

Jun 21, 2006
If im welcome, I will come and join in the race at Mae Sariang. Will bring the DRZ400 and try and get in the mix with all those superbikes!
Sounds like great fun. :happy2:

Dec 27, 2007
dirthonk wrote: If im welcome, I will come and join in the race at Mae Sariang. Will bring the DRZ400 and try and get in the mix with all those superbikes!
Sounds like great fun. :happy2:
Awesome! Look forward to hooking up with you! Wonder if Mae Sariang has ever experienced a group quite like this :take-that:

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Luke I will come on the DR650, so we can show them Hooligans how little HP are needed just to keep up and change them into "Kooligans" 555555, cheers, Franz

Dec 27, 2007
Franz wrote: Luke I will come on the DR650, so we can show them Hooligans how little HP are needed just to keep up and change them into "Kooligans" 555555, cheers, Franz
Franz, I don't doubt it- I honestly think I'm faster through the tight stuff on my little Ninja 250R. You really don't need liter bike power on roads like that, but liter bike power comes in handy for getting from BKK to Tak in a minimum amount of time :mrgreen:
I'm pretty timid on the Gixxer- never ridden a bike this powerful and am fully aware that she'll chew me up and spit me off in a second if I don't respect her
worthy.gif

Ride On!
Tony
faithchickenPoster.jpg

Aug 13, 2009
Sounds really like an iron bottom challenge - hope to meet you guys in m. sariang (meeting point?) and join the ride at least till CM.

Enjoy your ride - andre

Nov 7, 2007
I am still planning on coming to Mae Sariang on my ER-6n. Of course plans with me are always tentative - but I'll try - sounds like great fun. I'll join Sat morning if possible coming from CM. I can be there very early. Looking forward to the Loei bit even more actually as I've never been there.

Dec 27, 2007
Cheers Guys!

The Bangkok crew have all bought new tires and had our bikes serviced in preparation for the big ride!

I put new Piralli Diablo Rosso's on the GSX-R and am curious to see if they last longer than the Corsa III's. Also- if it looks like a lot of rain over the weekend I might take the Ninja 650R instead. The Gixxer is scary in the wet while the more tame power and ABS on the Ninja 650R is a nice thing to have in the rain. :happy5:

Nikster- I understand Franz may also ride from CM to Mae Sariang early Saturday morning due to work commitments on Friday. Don't know if you two know each other but perhaps you can get in touch and ride together.

Look forward to seeing you on Saturday!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Jun 21, 2006
Tony,

A fair few of us are gonna be coming up from chiang mai to join you hooligans. If we left chiang mai saturday morning and intersected you at khun yuam, would that be alright?. I reckon we could be at Khun yuam pretty close to 10am.

p.s coming back on the 118 in the wet yesterday the drz was spinning up of the power in the slippery conditions, you boys are gonna have your work cut out on the 1000's!!! lets hope and pray for a dry run....

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Sounds like it is going to be a cracking trip, and I hope the weather clears up for you guys.
Happy go-lucky has the 26th & 27th off work - Tawandaeng closed - so I wonder Tony if you might also have the 27th off?
Anyway I will be away with Meow on those nights, probably up North of the Kok River somewhere, and will be back in Cnx on the 28th.

For the guys from Chiang Mai riding over to Mae Sarieng / Khun Yuam to link up with the SSR guys, why not get together the night before at Schackster's Euro Diner in Chiang Mai?
Meet Thursday 22nd July 7.30 PM at Gary & Well’s Euro Diner on Ratchawithi.

Dec 27, 2007
Cheers Everyone!

A nice sunny day in the Big Mango today 8)

Some of the guys are fretting about the weather (and they call themselves bikers?!?!) :wtf:

Tropical Depression (remains of Typhoon Conson) has just petered out and we'll probably have 2-3 days of nice weather before the next system heads our way.

7-day Forecast Northern Thailand Jul 20, 2010 - Jul 26, 2010

Scattered to fairly widespread thundershowers and isolated heavy mostly in the upper and eastern portion almost the period. Minimum temperature 24-26oC, maximum temperature 34-36oC. Southwesterly wind 10-30 km./hr.

Issued date Jul 20, 2010

We're in the clear now - we should leave TODAY! :happy5: There's another tropical storm "CHANTHU" that's in the South China Sea and headed our way... Hard to guess which way it will go and if/when it will reach Thailand but it will certainly bring more rain. Keep your fingers crossed that we don't get hammered! :mrgreen:

I'm not bringing rain gear- too damn hot and I prefer rainwater to sweat and am quite comfortable in my leathers in the rain.

RIDE ON!

Tony