Suggested Loops starting from Phuket

Jun 21, 2006
Hi T.J.
Yeah... I am still debating on what route to take.
After my 5 nights in/around Chiang Mai, I'll have 10 full days to ride the South.
I'd like to stay 2 nights in Koh Samui, and maybe 2 nights in Krabi. And the rest of the days I want to ride "half-days", along the coast (mainly), starting/ending in Phuket.
I have looked into so many ways and places to stop overnight.
Hard to forsee it, since it is my first time.

I read your comments, and wonder if you could give me a hand.

In your opinion,
What is the best route for 10 days of riding? (taking a break for 3-4 nights)
Places that I shouldn't miss.

The rental bike:

I have a Yamaha R1 here in Tokyo. So, I wanted to get something more easy-riding, lighter on the lower-backbone, maybe the CB 400 would be cool too. Aren't there any unpaived roads, or "backroads" for any offroad in the South?

Cheers D

T.J.'s Reply

There aren’t reall y enough dirt roads to warrant getting a trailie, my suggestion would be to fly Chiang mai to Phuket, rent a bike on Phuket then…

R4 Phuket-Ranong-Chumpon
R41 Chumpon-Surat Thani
Surat Thani turn left to Don Sak, take ferry to Koh Samui
Leave bike on Samui, take passenger ferry to Koh Phang Ngan, hire a dirt bike there, heaps of trails on Phangan, as there are only a few roads that are actually sealed.
Samui take ferry back to Don Sak, then
R401 Sichon-Nakhon Si Thammarat
Turn left R4013 follow coast down to Songkhla
R407 to Had Yai
R4 Phathalung
R4 Trang-Krabi-Phuket

Depending on the time left you can stop in Krabi, Ao Nang, and can leave bike at Ao Nang and get long tail boat to Railey beach.

Now bear in mind, the west coast (Phuket/Krabi) is now in monsoon season, so expect some rain normally every day, and seas a bit rough.

The east coast, (Samui/Phang Ngan/Chumphon) have the dry season, sunny days, flat seas, just something to think about.

It’s a real scenic ride Phuket to Ranong, some great corners. Ranong has hot springs… see Thommo’s thread, Chumpon has some nite life, see NSR Mike’s thread

When approachind Songkhla, keep straight on, and go across river on ferry.

Chumphon to Surat Thani boring dual carriageway, another option, after leaving Ranong, backtrack down R4, then take R4006 over to Lang Suan, this is a great road have done it many times.

Then turn right heading south

This should get you started.....

How ae those Geisha girls coming along....

d555

Apr 13, 2007
Wicked TJ!

Thanks, this will help me alot.

Qs:
bear in mind, the west coast (Phuket/Krabi) is now in monsoon season, so expect some rain normally every day, and seas a bit rough.

The east coast, (Samui/Phang Ngan/Chumphon) have the dry season, sunny days, flat seas, just something to think about.

1. scuba diving better in Samui, instead of Ranong?

This should get you started.....

2. What would you estimate the total days of riding to be? Or approx. total kms?

Thanks again,
D.

And I am looking forward to adding/contributing to this forum with some cool pics & reports of this trip! Definately!

GEISHA GIRLs , eh?

No worries! All planned, shipped, almost there!
For further info on the GIRLS, read the following detailed report.

"After being asked today how it is going here is the Latest Drama on my Geishas. The first two sexy ones have been in Bangkok for over 3 weeks already. Our horny Shipping Agent is a "Fearless C**T". Putting and taking it inside daily. Anyway Now he claims Monday he will get them showered so the Certification office can check all their good parts. He told me the same thing last week!!! Also he now wants to keep all the hot and sexy ones in case they want to have a test ride! And I heard them Geishas have a great fuc..g ride! Originally he told me you only need One Geisha to get Certified. Once you have this Certification Paper you can use these sexy dools on the Same Hotel,as many times as you want, to get them Registered!!! My Next Seven geishas will arrive in Bangkok Port the first week of May and Now he wants to see them.Yeah right! Does his dick have eyes? Horny CU*T !They are Identical,

Jun 21, 2006
Scuba diving east coast only, best site is Koh Toh

The option leave bike on Samui..... ferry to Koh Phang Ngan ....... hire dirt bike on Phang Ngav...... ferry to Koh Toh.... scuba dive there..... fery from Koh Toh back to Samui

will reply later re times of ride

Jun 21, 2006
D555 My suggestion

Day:
1. Pkt, catch some rays and sort out a bike
2. Pkt-Ranong. As you pass near Takua Pa, check out Navy patrol boat high and dry on right, 2kms from the water.
3.Ranong-Raichakrut-Lang Suan-Surat Thani-Don Sak-Ferry to Samui
4.Samui. Hire bike from Ohms shop, on ring road just outside Chaweng southern turn off.
5.Samui-Koh Phang Ngan
6.KPN-Koh Tao
7.K.T.
8.K.T.
9.K.T.-Koh Samui
10.Koh Samui-401-415-Phang Nga-4-Phuket

This itenary will give you 3 days on Koh Tao for scuba diving etc, and a couple of nites on Samui to 'check out the chicks'

d555

Apr 13, 2007
Truly appreciated.
There are also a few spots on the East side that I'd love to check out. Just waiting for the proper maps to arrive in the mail (webmaps suck), then I can easily add to the route.
I might hit you back with more Q's later on.

Thanks TJ.

D.

d555

Apr 13, 2007
Hi TJ!
I took some time with my maps, your great advice and
this is what I would like to do:

Day 1:
Leave Phuket at 12 noon, take the 402 - 4 N – Ranong (overnight) or take a right on 4006 and try to hit Phato before night.

Day 2:
Leave Ranong at 9 am, track back 4 S – left on 4006 – ….

Option A: take 41 – 401 – 4142 to Don Sak ferry to Samui

Option B: take 41 - right on 4112 until Lamae – follow South on 4112 – back on 41 – 401 – 4142 to Don Sak ferry to Samui.

Day 3 – 7 (Samui and Ko Phangan)-

Day 8: leave Samui at 8am, ferry to Don Sak, take 4142 – 401 S –R4013– Hua Sai - 408 to Songkhla - 407 to Hat Yai – R4 to Trang – Krabi and Phuket.

Questions:

On day 2 , option B includes 4112, which I imagine would have a nice scenery? Worth it?
How much time from Ranong to Don Sak approx.?

On day 8, if I leave Don Sak at around 10 am, how far do you think can I get by 5pm?
Trang?
I'd like to take my time with stops, pictures and video.

I got some friends from Tokyo visiting Phuket, as I end my trip. I’d like to catch up with them on my last night.

Also, I’d love to put some extra effort, so we can have a few cold ones together.
Please let me know if you are going to be around Chiang Mai (June 6th-11th).

Thanks for the help!
D.

Jun 21, 2006
Hi D

SEE ANSWERS BELOW IN BLOCK LETTERS

Hi TJ!
I took some time with my maps, your great advice and
this is what I would like to do:

Day 1:
Leave Phuket at 12 noon, take the 402 - 4 N - Ranong (overnight) or take a
right on 4006 and try to hit Phato before night.
4006 ONE OF THE BETTER ROADS IN SOUTHERN THAILAND FOR RIDING, WOULDN’T BOTHER STOPPING AT PHATO OVERNITE AS NOTHING THERE

HAVE RIDDEN 4006 BOTH WAYS IN ONE DAY, TWICE. ONCE ON A 150CC HONDA PHANTOM, AND ONCE ON A HONDA NSR 150

Day 2:
Leave Ranong at 9 am, track back 4 S - left on 4006 - ..

Option A: take 41 - 401 - 4142 to Don Sak ferry to Samui

Option B: take 41 - right on 4112 until Lamae - follow South on 4112 - back
on 41 - 401 - 4142 to Don Sak ferry to Samui.

Day 3 - 7 (Samui and Ko Phangan)-

Day 8: leave Samui at 8am, ferry to Don Sak, take 4142 - 401 S -R4013- Hua
Sai - 408 to Songkhla - 407 to Hat Yai - R4 to Trang - Krabi and Phuket.

Questions:

On day 2 , option B includes 4112, which I imagine would have a nice
scenery? Worth it?
HAVE NEVER DONE THE 4112 BUT AS IT RUNS NEAR THE COAST, SHOULD BE GOOD SCENERY

How much time from Ranong to Don Sak approx.?
UNDER 4 HOURS IF USING R41

On day 8, if I leave Don Sak at around 10 am, how far do you think can I get
by 5pm?
Trang?
YES SHOULD MAKE TRANG

I'd like to take my time with stops, pictures and video.

I got some friends from Tokyo visiting Phuket, as I end my trip. I'd like to
catch up with them on my last night.

Also, I'd love to put some extra effort, so we can have a few cold ones
together.
Please let me know if you are going to be around Chiang Mai (June 6th-11th).

I AM ON KOH SAMUI (DOING REGATTA) FROM MAY 26 TILL ABOUT JUNE 10TH, AFTER WHICH BACK ON PHUKETI

Thanks for the help!
D.

d555

Apr 13, 2007
Thanks TJ!

That's a full plate.
I will take the 4112 on the way to Don Sak, check out the coast line, and take some pictures for the future report.
If you have some time on the 21st or 22nd,let's meet up for some beverages, w/ the geishas.

Thanx,
D.

Jun 21, 2006
Hi D

shoud be around then so be good to catch up, (and redeem my free beer....), be interested to hear about life in Japan

d555

Apr 13, 2007
Hi TJ!
Sounds good!

I will keep in touch, and we'll work out the details during next month.
Looking forward to this trip... well needed!
Hoping to meet some of you boys at the Kaffe, get educated, then go eat some dirt!
The South planning is mint, so it's all good.

PS: BTW, what kind of weather should I expect? CNX and Samui.
I know about the usual 30-35 C, start of the raining season, humid, but also sunny! All true?
Global warming is ripping the global weather apart...therfore the averages mean nothing nowadays.

Thnx,
D.

niko13

Jul 3, 2011
Hi Guys, sorry to interrupt...
I am riding solo from Hua Hin to Koh Samui on the 7th of Feb....
Was wandering what will be the Ferry time and if Don Sak will be the best place to catch a ferry with a bike (Ducati MS 1200)...
Also if anybody knows a good place to stay in case I don't feel like riding the full 500km;s in one go... Any good places to stop for a break overnight close by to the Ferry crossing ?

Any assistance will be appreciated...
First time riding that far south... any advise will be welcomed.
Thanks
Nikolas