Suggestions: Day Trip in Auckland

Jul 18, 2007
Greetings, I am a newcomer to this group, and I've found it extremely helpful while lurking.

My name is Sandy (male, sorry) and I live and work in Bangkok. I hope to soon be back on two wheels in Thailand. My last two bikes (in New York) were HDs, but I'm intending to go dual sport here. I think I'm done shopping, but there's some paperwork to do - more on that in another post.

My first question (yup, I'm aware that Auckland is not in Meuang Thai, but thought I'd ask anyway...):

I will have a layover in Auckland on Saturday the 27th of October, and have reserved a BMW 650GS to go toodle around for the day.

I have never been there, and would appreciate any recommendations regarding a nice scenic, low-traffic meander in and around Auckland, plus any must-see locales.

Thanks in advance for your help.

S.

Dec 5, 2006
Hi..I take it u mean Auckland NZ,I live here.How long have you got here?.I know where to go and what to see.PM me.if i cant meet u ..i will give you some imformation of where to go
REGARDS KEV

Sep 29, 2007
Hi from the city to Puhoi is a great ride with a great old pub with cold beer at the end.Go over the harbour bridge to the north shore follow the road for Whangarei all the way until you hit Puhoi on the left.Cold beer awaits and theres plenty of little bays on the way if you want to make a longer trip of it,very easy to find your way around aprrox 45 min from city ,longer if you go round the coast rd at east coast bays.
regards
Madyakka

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Hi there,
I Live in Chiang Mai now but am an Original Bohemian Descendant of Puhoi so was Brought up there on our Family Farm. The Pub is a Great Saturday Destination, Packed with Bikes every weekend. You can go up the main Highway to Puhoi as Madyakka said and on the way back to Auckland cross over from Silverdale out to Waitoki through Helensville and Kumeu etc nice Ride and Quieter Road. Of course might have to get a Map to help but i am sure you will meet up with many Guys in Puhoi who will give advice or even Ride with you! Loads of Friendy People there.
When you are in Thailand if you get up to Chiang Mai give me a Call and we can meet up. There are loads of Guys up here with Dirt and Street Bikes willing to go for a ride.
Cheers Ian.

Jul 18, 2007
Thanks to all of you for your replies. It looks like I have two options: Go to the north up to Puhoi and environs, or go south to Rotorua and come back to Auckland via at least part of the Coromandel peninsula.

I will be overnighting somewhere on Friday night, and I'm not afraid to put some miles on the little Beemer.

Any reason to prefer one of these routes over the other?

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Down to Rotorua stay the night there as alot of Bars / Restaurants and Top Accommodation available, next day up along the Coast Waihi etc is also Fantastic Riding so good Choice. Have a Great Ride.

Dec 5, 2006
The Puhoi pub is a great place.but not to far away from Auckland.
If you are into clocking up some miles..Go to Waihi, then back over the coro loop.great ride.have a look at Coromandel.co.nz.
You would do the run in a day.
Got a bed here if you wish
Iam about just over an hour from Auckland
Would like to join ya
But working saturdays...DAMN
Also have a look at...kiwibiker.co.nz
There maybe a ride on which suits
Contact me on 0212661077.if you need a hand with anything
Enjoy.....KEV